Not open for further replies.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I know this has been re hashed all over but thought a formal poll would help

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a combination of the first two. Look at our Olb and dbs and tell me where the talent is. Kyler Fackrell shouldn't be your best pass rusher. Williams shouldn't be your best safety. And add in all the injuries and it is hard to say he was dealt a strong hand. And for many games the defense kept us in it whole the offense sputtered

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this has been re hashed all over but thought a formal poll would help
You're kidding, right? When is the last time certain posters (like me for example) changed their opinion?

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ps how come there are 3 votes for #1 and its 100% and #2 has 1 vote and is at 33%%

Should be 75% and 25%.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldn't vote for anything because I think the premise is wrong. I think he did a good job. When we play with heart and fire we play well. I just hope he does not use the 3 man rush. That could put me firmly in the fire Pettine camp next year.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Example of a complex issue that is trying to be extremely simplified. I answered for " of these 3, which is the most impactful."

There is a combination of reasons for poor statistical defensive performance:

1. Injuries - backups were not developed. This is coaching but is more on Capers than Pettine.
2. Poor offensive performance - lots of 3 and outs
3. Player skills position coaches (witt)
4. Players not matching new scheme
5. Players not adapting to new scheme

I'm sure that Pettine shifted his scheme, as much as he could, to match players.

It's a bottom line matter and Pettine is ultimately responsible. However, to be critical of pettine at this point is foolish. They are not "excuses" but factors out of Pettines control that have consequences.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldn't vote for anything because I think the premise is wrong. I think he did a good job.
Statistically the defense was sub par, but I don't think you necessarily have to think that in order to vote. Even a good defense will have some issues, and there's always room for improvement.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I couldn't vote for anything because I think the premise is wrong. I think he did a good job. When we play with heart and fire we play well. I just hope he does not use the 3 man rush. That could put me firmly in the fire Pettine camp next year.
I added something

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You're kidding, right? When is the last time certain posters (like me for example) changed their opinion?
This is for Patriot who thinks Pettine has to be fired.. I said 75 percent like Pettine.. Wanted a poll

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Pettine stepped into a pretty dysfunctional defense, this includes assistant coaches and players. I feel that he did what he could with the cards he was dealt and we started to see some progress.

Even with the addition of Wilkerson, Alexander and a few other minor pieces, I didn't expect a drastic change in year 1.

Glad to see him get some new assistants, maybe guys more on board with his style/scheme, which will create more consistency in coaching.

Gute is still going to need to give him a few decent Vets through Free Agency to give him the tools to improve even more in year 2 and hopefully Gutes first 2 drafts will help this coming season and beyond.

As far as injuries go, sure they never help, but unfortunately, they will probably always be a part of the game and why depth becomes critical as the season goes on. As Amish pointed out, you need to have your backups ready to play and under TT, those backups were too often untested guys that looked totally under coached and over whelmed. Seems like that is something Gute is trying to change and I think that will help Pettine and his assistant coaches deal better with injuries.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Pettine did a good job with what he had, but needs to do better-- and will as players learn his defense and he gets his own guys on the staff. The talent certainly needs to improve, especially at safety and edge, and at the same time the number of injuries on defense was absurd.

How's that?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's here now, and there's no use complaining about it. But when the guy has been bottom half of the league in scoring and red zone defense for much of his career, I just wonder why everyone is so adamant about the need to retain him, and the FO pounding to keep him.

Yeah, he wasn't dealt a great hand. But the results this year are pretty closely aligned with those during his previous 3 seasons. And we think that our team sustains the most injuries each year, when we are actually about middle of the pack.

I just think that everyone is wearing rose colored glasses. Like I said, Indy spent $25M on their entire defense. Most of those guys were reserve caliber to begin with. They couldn't get to the QB, they didn't have a CB as good as Alexander. But they had a coach who instilled discipline and a system which would allow them to play fast and overcome the lack of talent. Looking at Pettine's track record, I question his ability to elevate talent.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He's here now, and there's no use complaining about it. But when the guy has been bottom half of the league in scoring and red zone defense for much of his career, I just wonder why everyone is so adamant about the need to retain him, and the FO pounding to keep him.

Yeah, he wasn't dealt a great hand. But the results this year are pretty closely aligned with those during his previous 3 seasons. And we think that our team sustains the most injuries each year, when we are actually about middle of the pack.

I just think that everyone is wearing rose colored glasses. Like I said, Indy spent $25M on their entire defense. Most of those guys were reserve caliber to begin with. But they had a coach who instilled discipline and a system which would allow them to play fast and overcome the lack of talent. Looking at Pettine's track record, I question his ability to elevate talent.
Vote

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is for Patriot who thinks Pettine has to be fired.. I said 75 percent like Pettine.. Wanted a poll
I was wondering who the heck would vote Pettine sucks. Makes sense now.

I'm sure some fans demanded Belichick be fired in Cleveland as well. When you dont reasonably analyze and only look at some stats, it will lead you to those conclusions.

Last edited:

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While stats may not show the whole body of work,Pertine’s defense passes the eye test. How many games has this team lost because the defense couldn’t make a stop at the end of a game? Look at the defense this year and they made several crucial stops during games,but the offense would go 3 and out. Get rid of some baggage at OLB and get us a good Safety and I say we will be a top 10 defense with Pettine as our DC.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I just think that everyone is wearing rose colored glasses. Like I said, Indy spent $25M on their entire defense. Most of those guys were reserve caliber to begin with. They couldn't get to the QB, they didn't have a CB as good as Alexander. But they had a coach who instilled discipline and a system which would allow them to play fast and overcome the lack of talent. Looking at Pettine's track record, I question his ability to elevate talent.

Before coming to Green Bay, Pettine had obviously been the DC for one of the best defenses of the era in New York, done a great job on his own in Buffalo, and gotten more than expected out of his group in Cleveland. That's why he's highly regarded.

I think your confusion stems from your inexplicable dismissal of his work in New York and your decision to ignore valid measures that don't fit the narrative, like DVOA.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

So if it is shown majority like Pettine, are you willing to stop the constant bashing?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'll do a quick summary of what I posted in another thread. LaFleur's offensive numbers weren't overly impressive because he didn't have much at all to work with. So I don't hold that against him. And Pettine, in my opinion, was in a pretty similar position having to do what he could with the hand he was dealt.

Again, zero pro bowlers on the Packers defense.

And I'll also again point out that, there were moments/stretches where the defense looked solid in the first several games. And in the 6 games after the Patriots game, the Packers scoring defense only gave up 21.2 points per game which would have been 11th in the NFL if that was extrapolated over a 16 game season. The last two games were throw away games with skeleton crews defensively.

The defense played extremely solid down the stretch where the Packers had every opportunity to make a run, and the offense was just bad by the standard it set over the years.

Anyone bashing the Pettine defense isn't taking all of the factors into consideration. A couple have made the comment that they didn't see any difference in the Pettine defense and the Capers defense which made me want to beat my head against a wall. It was clearly improved this year.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Things fell apart at the end of the season, but on December 10th, Been Fennell tweeted that Mike Pettine's defense was 7th in the NFL at getting 3 & outs, which was up from 26th in 2017 and 30th in 2016.

For a good portion of the season, the defense would get the ball back, and the offense wouldn't do anything with it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
People also forget how effective the defense was blitzing before all of the injuries. At the quarter poll, opposing QB'S were averaging a passer rating of 26 when the Packers blitzed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts