Peterson.....

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They haven't even put pads on yet. What do you think the Saints are going to say? "He's old and kind of sucks..."

Reaction score
I don't doubt that AP could have a decent year down in the Bayou as a stop gap, but at some juncture you gotta think about your vision past the current season. He's questionable at best after this year or next and not even really in the conversation in a few years.
While any player is only one injury away from hanging up the cleats, another significant injury and going into your mid-thirties takes longer to recover from and often turns into early retirement, particularly at the RB position. I'm not wishing anything but the best for him in that regard but it's still a factor.
Patience truly is a virtue, but patience also takes time, which is something that AP is running low on.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't doubt that AP could have a decent year down in the Bayou as a stop gap, but at some juncture you gotta think about your vision past the current season. He's questionable at best after this year or next and not even really in the conversation in a few years.
While any player is only one injury away from hanging up the cleats, another significant injury and going into your mid-thirties takes longer to recover from and often turns into early retirement, particularly at the RB position. I'm not wishing anything but the best for him in that regard but it's still a factor.
Patience truly is a virtue, but patience also takes time, which is something that AP is running low on.

And while it's possible, it's silly to take chatter out of OTA's as an indicator. Everyone is an all pro this time of year.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He looked slow last year before the injury. I would bet AP will be #3 RB on the saints for carries, yds, and TDs by years end.

Same story if he had become a Packer. No sense signing an expensive marginal player who is only getting worse. Might as well develop a guy like Aaron Jones who is inexpensive, lots of upside, and nearly as effective now as a ball carrier.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He looked slow last year before the injury. I would bet AP will be #3 RB on the saints for carries, yds, and TDs by years end.

Same story if he had become a Packer. No sense signing an expensive marginal player who is only getting worse. Might as well develop a guy like Aaron Jones who is inexpensive, lots of upside, and nearly as effective now as a ball carrier.

I would not be surprised if AP leads the Saints in rushing. I don't think he will but I think it will be a lot closer between he and Ingram than you think. I don't think the Saints signed him strictly to be Ingram's backup and he will get his carries. While they may not be thinking years ahead with Peterson they may be thinking years ahead with Ingram by trying to keep the pounding down over the next year or two.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't doubt that AP could have a decent year down in the Bayou as a stop gap, but at some juncture you gotta think about your vision past the current season.

Overall I believe that Thompson should start thinking about the pending season more often than building a team for the future. Obviously I agree with not signing Peterson though.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Just let it go, Peterson wouldn't have been a good fit for the Packers offense. That he's off to a good start in OTAs doesn't mean anything at all.
Peterson didn't do OTA's in MN for years. At least he is showing some dedication to the team. Of course he wants to play and make money so he has to show up and learn the offense. Remember, he can make another $8.25 million in bonus money for hitting certain target. My bet is that is what is driving him. It makes the Vikings first game of the season interesting to say the least.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if AP leads the Saints in rushing. I don't think he will but I think it will be a lot closer between he and Ingram than you think. I don't think the Saints signed him strictly to be Ingram's backup and he will get his carries. While they may not be thinking years ahead with Peterson they may be thinking years ahead with Ingram by trying to keep the pounding down over the next year or two.

Ingram only averages 12 carries per games. Peterson does best with 20+ a game. He still seemed to get better as the game went on and the defense got tired. If Peterson only gets 12-15 a game, I don't think you will see that much of an impact. My bet is that by game 3 if he is still healthy he will be the leading ball carrier on he Saints.

If they do it right, Kuhn will be in front of him a lot.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They haven't even put pads on yet. What do you think the Saints are going to say? "He's old and kind of sucks..."
This is just the first of a series of "I told you so" posts.:)
Point is he has been catching the ball out of the backfield well. And has been doing well in pass blocking drills.
We will see how this turns out. But I think we messed up big time. He wanted to come here imo. And we blew it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Point is he has been catching the ball out of the backfield well. And has been doing well in pass blocking drills.
We will see how this turns out. But I think we messed up big time. He wanted to come here imo. And we blew it.

The "so" has to happen before you can tell us it.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His age is a bigger concern than what he can or can't do for the passing game.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So when he ends up falling flat in NO do we get to create a thread calling you out?

Or do we move on?

(PS you should probably wait till a games been played before attempting an "I told you so post)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So when he ends up falling flat in NO do we get to create a thread calling you out?

Or do we move on?

(PS you should probably wait till a games been played before attempting an "I told you so post)

I think protocol is that we just resurrect this thread. Throw in a few HA's and some LULZ and call 'er a day.

Reaction score
Overall I believe that Thompson should start thinking about the pending season more often than building a team for the future. Obviously I agree with not signing Peterson though.
I'd also like to see him push a few more chips into the current season. I'm not concerned with Adrian Peterson's new ventures but I am concerned we didn't go after at least 1 more veteran Defensive Player, particularly after walking 2 seasoned veteran LBs and all the while marinating in an entire 2016 season without a true #1 CB.
We are 1 Charles Woodson and 1 more dominant OLB away from putting together a prolific season. We would have done well to go after one of those 2 this year.
Unless we have several Defensive rookies or Defensive 2nd Year players make huge strides in production we just made it clear that we are still in a Defensive "rebuild" mode and we're counting on next years FA or draft to fill the final cracks of the subfloor before shellacking our competition

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

We are 1 Charles Woodson and 1 more dominant OLB away from putting together a prolific season. We would have done well to go after one of those 2 this year.

While I agree that Thompson should have been more aggressive in trying to acquire a #1 cornerback as well as adding veteran depth at outside linebacker it's extremely tough to find a player as talented as Woodson or a dominant edge rusher.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here's some numbers to further support my theory that Peterson would have been a terrible fit with the Packers. Over his career he has averaged only 3.7 yards per attempt with the quarterback in the shotgun. Last season Rodgers lined up in that formation 74.7% of the offensive snaps though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's some numbers to further support my theory that Peterson would have been a terrible fit with the Packers. Over his career he has averaged only 3.7 yards per attempt with the quarterback in the shotgun. Last season Rodgers lined up in that formation 86.2% of the offensive snaps though.

And interestingly, the Saints run from under center much more often than the NFL average.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you definitely put the fanatic back into the word fan