Peter King on WFAN this morning...

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good interview with Peter King this morning about the Packer/Giants game.

He basically said that, the Giants defense was shutting down Ryan Grant and the run game of the Packers AND blowing up the screen game (which has been the Packers bread n' butter all season) so that you have alot of 2nd and 9's, or 3rd and longs, which are hard to convert in that kind of weather.

The problem with the screen, imo, is that the RB's weren't letting the blockers get into their blocks....The Giants were so quick that the RB should have waited 2-3 seconds before running, and then maybe there would have been somewhere to run.

Also, on 3rd and long, the Giants know it's going to be a pass...so they pin their ears back and blitz the QB.

To top it off, the Packer WR's weren't beating the DB's and getting separation on those plays, so it was hard to move the ball, especially in the 2nd half. That's what was so frustrating...to Favre and to the Packer fans...

The Packers didn't have an answer to this, and I think that this is where it falls on McCarthy. He should have tried to exploit the Giants middle more on 2nd and 3rd downs once he saw that the other stuff wasn't working.

This is how you beat the Packers, and next year they have to find an answer to this. A good 3rd down guy like a Kevin Faulk is what is needed to exploit the middle when teams try this. We did not have that guy this year!

Oh well, there's always next year, I guess...

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King makes some good points, but I don't know how he figures that the screen was the Packers' bread and butter all season long. It's well-known that they've struggled with screen passes all season, and I'm pretty sure they've run fewer of them than usual, for that reason. I think they tried three or four of them against the Giants, however, and they all failed.

I'm hoping that with our young RB's and young interior O-linemen getting another training camp under their belts (it will be Ryan Grant's first training camp as a Packer) the screen play will once again become effective for the Packers, as it has been for most of the Favre/West Coast Offense era.

I agree that a Kevin Faulk type would be a great addition. Possibly Brandon Jackson could be that guy, and I don't think Noah Herron is out of the question. I've all but lost hope for Vernand Morency, though. He just didn't show much this year, after returning from the injury.

OP
OP
F

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. I thought he nailed it.

I think what he was referring to is the "short pass" rather than the screen play, technically.

The short pass in the flat or over the middle has always been the bread n' butter of the WC offense, especially the Packers...but we couln't seem to even get that going against the G-Men, dammit..!

(Or maybe McCarthy didn't call it enough...? I don't know...)

OP
OP
F

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tony Fisher would have helped this year....

(Where is he, anyway?)

Isn't he from Notre Dame...?

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The screen worked a few times early in the season, but got squashed every time since then. We attempted the screen more in the Giants game that we probably had during the entire second half of the season. NY was just completely prepared for everything we threw at them.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tony Fisher would have helped this year....

(Where is he, anyway?)

Isn't he from Notre Dame...?

Here's a link:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4242

Fisher went to the Rams before the 2006 season, played a little as a third down-type back, tore his ACL in November of that year and missed the rest of the season and apparently all of the 2007 season. The link above implies that he is still with the Rams. Yes, he played college ball at Notre Dame.

He was a pretty good third-down back for us. Noah Herron is sort of in the same mold. It was awesome that one year when Green, Davenport, and Fisher all averaged better than 5 yards per carry.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
funny how people agree with idiot media heads when they agree with their argument.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
The screen pass and short pass and slants are two pretty different things.

I hope he meant the quick passes, because screens were by no means are "bread and butter" this season.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about when they tell the truth?

Truth?

To top it off, the Packer WR's weren't beating the DB's and getting separation on those plays, so it was hard to move the ball, especially in the 2nd half. That's what was so frustrating...to Favre and to the Packer fans...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Yeah....truth...

This is for you, my fuzzy friend.

OP
OP
F

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah...after the ball's in the air in the other direction, it isn't hard to get separation...

It's within that 3-4 seconds that he has to throw the ball that they need to get into their move and get open.

Smart means knowing something about football.

I think someone would have to start there, AADP.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Te screen pass was NOT the bread and butter play of the Packers.
He said it so don't try to read anything else into it. He is wrong so how much credibility can you put into the rest of his blurb.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah...after the ball's in the air in the other direction, it isn't hard to get separation...

It's within that 3-4 seconds that he has to throw the ball that they need to get into their move and get open.

Smart means knowing something about football.

I think someone would have to start there, AADP.

Why do people think Favre's throwing motion takes like 7 seconds or something? A picture that's slightly after the throw says a lot. Put a picture up where Favre is RELEASING it.

And nice subtle bashing, Fuzzy. I like it. Stay classy.

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw a bunch of screens, WR screens, shovel passes, and dump off plays that the Giants simply stuffed. They were well prepared. Very rarely did I see any of the quick slants and outs that got them to the NFC Championship game. Perhaps they were trying to throw off the Giants by going with something different, and beat themselves? Who knows.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps they were trying to throw off the Giants by going with something different, and beat themselves? Who knows.

I wondered that too. IMO, you have to stick with the gameplan that got you this far.

Our gameplan all year was to work the short passing game to set up the run. Take calculated shots on deep throws using play action.

I did not see any of this in the Giants game.

The defense stunk, but they only gave 20 points in regulation.

Our offense is too good to only muster 20 points in regulation.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw a bunch of screens, WR screens, shovel passes, and dump off plays that the Giants simply stuffed. They were well prepared.

And when we went deep, we couldn't get it done there either.

Bad Brett + no running game(that day) + Al harris sucking + TT sucks(why not) = We lose

Members online

Latest posts