1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Perry gets fined for hit on Luck

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by tstej, Oct 10, 2012.

1. tstej

tstej Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +27
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    GD REFS are out to screw us and we don't need their help.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    Stupid. It was a close call, so I don't blame the refs for throwing the flag. I get that they're supposed to err on the side of caution/QB. Though it was an incorrect call. Can't believe he's being fined for it. Horseshit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    Sometimes I think the player can't help it. Like when they are already in motion with the forward momentum and they can't stop themselves or the player they hit will turn his body a different way.
    Sometimes it is intentional (Taints, Suh, Charles Martin vs Jim McMahon etc.) and other times it isn't.
    And it's not fair when it isn't.
    Let's just go with flag football and get it over with already.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +607
    I didn't know you could get fined for helmet to shoulder pad. We haven't gone 1 week without some very controversial call. What will it be this week?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    Rodgers will have touchdown pass revoked because it was just too damn beautiful and he absolutely must have been doing something illegal for it to look that good...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +607
    Steroids? Telepathy? Both? Just fine him 100k and throw a flag and everything will be fine

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I watched that play over and over and he hit Luck in the hand/ball. It was a perfect, textbook hit and it should have given us a key turnover and momentum.

I cannot believe the NFL is out to get the Packers so bad. We know Ted didn't sleep with Goodell's wife or anyone else's wife.

I suspect the ax the league has to grind with the Packers is that they released private financial data because they are publicly owned, which has not helped the league in their negotiations with the players or the zebras.
    The zebras should be thanking us with good calls, not screw jobs.

9. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    The NFL should fine the entire team for the way they played in the second half.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,065
    Perry's been flagged twice hasn't he? I don't recall if the first one resulted in a fine but I remember thinking that he got a bum deal on that one too....I'm just saying, I"m not one to blame the refs...even though I cost my high school team a win by spitting out my (required) mouth guard after a touchdown had been scored, the points on the board AND the kicking units were already running onto the field. I was running off the field, on the 45-yard line... pp--toooo, out comes the mouth guard, flip.... up goes the flag from the back judge ... yeah, they called the TD back and we ended up losing 7-6. Sound pretty lame? I considered it a mental error on my part...didn't blame the refs...my coach was doing that enough for everyone. I was surprised his eyes went back into their sockets..haha

11. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    This is such bullshit. And really it's harmful to player development. You get a rookie coming into the NFL. He gets his first sack in a preseason game and he gets flagged for flexing. Then he gets a hit on Luck, which was 100% cleaned and he's flagged and fined.

How does a guy play defense anymore in this league when he's now getting fined for clean play?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +519
    I'm sure MM and the coaching staff told Perry that the call was BS and to keep up the aggressiveness.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    Ya know man, I don't blame you at all for taking it personal.
    Because it sure seems like the refs are against us.
    The only way to kill any suspicions is if we don't get any more bogus calls going our way.

There needs to be reviews and fines against refs when they make the wrong call.
    Especially a last second end zone catch.
    Justice still needs to be served for that one.

Seeing how the Texans are 5-0 and the Pack is playing them in their house, I expect more bogus calls to favor the Texans.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. JoshuaRHuffman

JoshuaRHuffman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    I'd love to know how they come up with these random amounts for these fines.

15. Alex

Alex Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +213
    So rediculous, that was a clean hit. Not long before the league becomes flag football. I understand the severity of concussions but COME ON!

16. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    That was a textbook hit. Perfect form, wrap up, drive to the dirt. I teach my youth team that exact way. The fine was BS indeed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. dansz15

dansz15 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +35
    All I want Sunday night is a game called fair and clean by the refs. I don't even know what that is like anymore.

18. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,466
    I'll be the guy.... You're all wrong.

Watch the play again. The top of Perry's helmet connects with the underside of Luck's facemask, sending Luck's helmet jolting backwards. Yes Perry planted his face in Luck's numbers and aimed at his chest but the fact remains that there was helmet-to-helmet contact. If you guys don't understand yet that the NFL is trying to eliminate those hits, then I don't know what to tell you.

Do I disagree with their approach? Yes

Is it nearly impossible to make a QB hit between the hips and chest at full speed? Yes

However, it's not hard to understand the NFL's stance on this. They flag and fine for any hit that consists of helmet-to-helmet contact.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    Maybe they should do what we did when we were kids?
    Give 'em a count of 5.
    1 Apple, 2 Apple, 3 Apple etc...
    That might make everyone happy.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. 98Redbird

98Redbird Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +234
    I'll be the second guy... Perry said that even Kevin Greene came to him and said that "Yes, it was an illegal hit"

They are fining him not for helmet to helmet, they are fining him for "leading with his helmet" (from what I've read) they want you to keep your facemask up and "lead with your shoulder" ...

I can see why they fined him.

Okay, moving on...

21. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445
    So you can't go at a QB full up for fear of helmet to helmet. Can't go low. Gotta go at him to the torso. So you have to bend over to him him there right? Guess what part of the body sticks out in front when you bend over. Yes, the head. Guess which part of the head comes first, yep, the crown.
    Unless they start teaching defenders to act like turtles you just can't run into QBs anymore.
    He didn't even hit him with the crown.
    It's getting to the point that there's almost nothing left to say but stare gaping at the TV.

22. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,466
    You figured it out. The NFL doesn't want you hitting quarterbacks. This guy deserves a prize!

Here's your photo of the day to go with your "He didn't even hit him with the crown" statement:
    [​IMG]

Crown on QB's helmet

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  23. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,466
    ...and let's be honest here folks. As much as I hated seeing the penalty, we all know that they teach tackling with the head to the side. This wasn't a shifty receiver or an elusive RB that made a quick move. The was a QB standing in the pocket. If Perry wants to avoid the fine, he should hit the guy in the ribs with his shoulder with the head to the right (QB's left side).

24. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +387
    Careful, buddy. There are four former Saints that took the word of their coaches over that of the league that wound up facing suspensions. How do we prove that Perry didn't intend to hurt Luck with that hit? -He was hitting him after all...

It's like the NFL discipline process is arbitrary or something.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...aints-qb-says-bounty-penalties-based-rhetoric

25. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    He's just checking him out for breast cancer since October is that time of month for the NFL.

• Funny Funny x 1