Patience or Panic

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I was probably as mystified as anyone at the Packers draft this year. As has been stated by many, Harrell may very well turn out to be a great player, he may just as easily turn out to be another average player. One of the things that bothered me however was that Ted said he takes the best player and doesn't draft for need. In my opinion he not only didn't draft for need, Harrell clearly wasn't the best player available. I think the draft picks in round two and three were the same.

What I am wondering, is it really time to panic over these choices or is it best to be patient and see what these guys can do? Part of me says this draft may have really set the team back, but if any of these guys turn out to be ok, we could actually be a better team this year. If those young receivers develop like Jennings did and if Jenning continues to develop our receiving corps could be just fine. The running backs are also interesting, but if the line continues to improve, these guys might just be the answer.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the things that bothered me however was that Ted said he takes the best player and doesn't draft for need. In my opinion he not only didn't draft for need, Harrell clearly wasn't the best player available. I think the draft picks in round two and three were the same.

who says???

Sherman drafted on need and we traded up for a punter, who was terrible.

thats what drafting on need gets ya.

we will be ok... everyone just breath....

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
One of the things that bothered me however was that Ted said he takes the best player and doesn't draft for need. In my opinion he not only didn't draft for need, Harrell clearly wasn't the best player available. I think the draft picks in round two and three were the same.

who says???

Sherman drafted on need and we traded up for a punter, who was terrible.

thats what drafting on need gets ya.

we will be ok... everyone just breath....

Who says? Almost everyone who follows the draft.

I'm not supporting drafting for needs, as a matter of fact I believe in taking the best player available in the first round because you have a better chance of getting an impact player.

BangTheDrum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Be patient...very patient... take a little time... partake in some activities :pals: And wait and see what happens with the youngsters

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers drafted the best player available on their draft board. The so called "experts" and other mock drafters do not put nearly as much effort into their evaluations as professional scouting teams do. Given this fact, it's not too surprising that the "experts" and the professionals had different opinions.

I don't understand why everyone thinks Harrell was such a reach. OR why people think they have more knowledge, expertise, and experience than real NFL scouts.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Justin Harrell was the best player available for the Green Bay Packers.

Speculation or fact?

Well, fact seeing as thats the player the Packers picked in the first rd. But I would definitely lean more towards speculation.

Speculation
Thanks, but I am capable of answering on my own behalf so keep your comments to yourself when I'm asked a question, thank ya mucho.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For each of the last three years I've been scratching my head in April and nodding it in December. I've learned to trust. Ted Thompson and his scouts are closer to the game than any of us ever will be.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have any sense of panic.
I'm willing to be patient for the next couple of years to see how this young team develops.

Right now I'm just anxious to get training camp started so we have a better idea where we are at when the pads go on.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Be patient...very patient... take a little time... partake in some activities :pals: And wait and see what happens with the youngsters

It is a Friday night :thumbsup:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers drafted the best player available on their draft board. The so called "experts" and other mock drafters do not put nearly as much effort into their evaluations as professional scouting teams do. Given this fact, it's not too surprising that the "experts" and the professionals had different opinions.

I don't understand why everyone thinks Harrell was such a reach. OR why people think they have more knowledge, expertise, and experience than real NFL scouts.

AGREED. Before a pick is made the staff has watched EVERY SINGLE PLAY in that players career. Like in Jackson's case they watched every run, every block, every catch.

Through that evaluation it was determined he was the best RB available. Those of you that want to criticize them for making this pick need to watch about 100 hours of football on ONE GUY and then come back here and say it's wrong.

Until then you simply do not know what you don't know.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think it's a fallacy that TT didn't draft for need in the draft this year.

I mean, we do need to replace the players he brought in in previous years, don't we?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NONE of us knows for sure what Harrell, or anyone else in the draft will turn out. ONLY time will tell.
I agree with since69.......even if WE don't know what TT is doing, it seems that in the end SO FAR he has shown that he does know.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NONE of us knows for sure what Harrell, or anyone else in the draft will turn out. ONLY time will tell.
I agree with since69.......even if WE don't know what TT is doing, it seems that in the end SO FAR he has shown that he does know.

Yeah that Hawk pick was amazing! I can't believe he reached for him at 5. Amazing Drafter!

Members online