1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Packers Waive Joey Thomas

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by subin, Nov 2, 2005.

1. subin

subin Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  2. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah I wonder what that's all about. We need all the players we can get, make him move over to WR :) Probably some internal problems so they just decided to move on.

3. DeusNova

DeusNova Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He was awful for two years.

It also gives Hawkins some more playing time.

4. retiredgrampa

retiredgrampa Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thompson may be sending a VERY LOUD message to the rest of the Packers, i.e. show some life or we'll declare you officially dead in Packerland. Sherman would never have done it. He would keep hoping that Joey would somehow, at some time, turn it around. TT will keep it interesting for a long time to come.

5. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If you can't beat out Carroll there is little hope for you.

Sherman has stated his being offended by lack of hustle by Thomas on more than a few occaisions.

This is not a roster move but a cleansing of the attitude. There is likely a rule infraction involved as there is no explanation given.

This move also lowers the numbers given in my GM Story Part I and increases the % of dead cap in 2006 (Part III) posts of yesterday.

He is not vested so he is not paid for the remainder of the year. The move decreases this year's cap room by about $8500 (very small) and next years by $180K.

The salary cap is always a moving target.

6. dhpackr

dhpackr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    is it me or is it becoming clearer and cleare that TT is taking control of this team and getting rid of sherman's exess bagage. IMHO, this will be sherman's last season as packer head coach. :lol:

7. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    WOW!!!! I NEVER saw that one coming! Whoa! When I saw him, I thought he was playing alright too!

8. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thomas came out with a reputation as a hothead, sufficient to warrant a number of teams to take him off their draft board. This is a "message" type move and a ridding of a bad attitude. It is clear to me that TT will take no **** and mince no words as he re-tools this team and rids it of bad attitudes, non-performers and soft players. TT is a guy who went undrafted and had a decent 10 year career in the pros.....you do that with tenacity, focus and toughness. It is my inclination to believe we will see a lot more football players, such as Nick Collins, and a lot fewer athletes who happen to play football. Watch this team change from marshmallow soft to tough as nails in the next few years.

Message received, Ahmad Carroll?

9. MajicMan

MajicMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I read in the packersnews article that Thomas was steamed after being pulled after he fell down in the CINCY game...

Maybe he ran his mouth a little too much...

Does come as a shock to see him cut, at this point.

Yeah, I would like to see a little more from Hawkins though.

10. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    i dont know if i like this move.

Thomas is better than Carroll (by default)! I like hawkins getting more time, but as long as carroll is out there, nothing is fixed yet. This does nothing except make the fight for #2 go from Carroll vs Thomas to Carroll vs Hawkins.

11. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    This move reminds me of Chris Akins when he got into it on the sidelines with Sherman and was out the next day...Thomas' mouth must have written a check that his body can't cash and TT told him to hit the road. I wish it would have worked out for Thomas because he will be alright in this league eventually.

12. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Joey proves to be a bust?

That is just proof the Packers should have drafted BJ Sander 17 picks earlier.

RP

13. jhensiak

jhensiak Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    My thoughts EXACTLY!

14. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    No. Carroll is by far better than Thomas and that is coming from someone who wanted to see Carrolls head on a post in favor of Thomas. I wanted thomas, I got him and he did WORSE! As hard as that is to imagine, he did. Not even Hawkins did better. The top two best CB we have are Harris and Carroll, suck it up and accept it and HOPE he gets ... good.

15. ArizonaPackerFan

ArizonaPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I said the other week how I haven't seen a players stock rise and fall as much this season as Joey Thomas, but I didn't expect him to get cut this year.

One thing that sticks out in my mind, is after the Cleveland game Sherman said it was very telling when Thomas didn't chase down the receiver very hard on one of those 80 yard touchdown passes the defense gave up. I remember at the time being impressed with how fast Collins was, because Collins just shot by Thomas trying to chase down the receiver, but Sherman took it as Thomas loafing. I don't know if that was the start of Thomas' downfall, but I do remember Sherman being upset with Thomas' effort on that play.

16. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    WOW! Got home late and just heard. Sounds like it was his mouth and poor hustle and attitude.

I thought this guy was going to step it up this season.

TT is sending a message as stated by another poster.

17. ChuckSTG

ChuckSTG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if this will lead to us drafting a CB in the early round this coming spring.

18. yourout

yourout Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The 2004 Draft is not looking to hot right now. I know its still early but I will be shocked if there is a pro bowler in the group.

19. Pack14

Pack14 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty interesting news. I didn't see that coming. Hopefully sends a message. Shape up or your out of titletown.

20. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Why is it that all you guys assume that TT is sending a message....and that TT is cleaning house.....or TT is cleaning up Sherman's mess? It was Sherman's idea to cut him. It was Sherman that is sending the message. TT isn't even in town. Sherman called him and told him what he wanted to do and TT gave him the go ahead to do it.

In your rush to judgement and desire to run down Sherman....at least get your facts straight before burying the guy....otherwise you look like fools.

21. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    It was on 96.5FM / Milwaukee - this morning, as I hit town... Apparently, Joey ran his mouth about Sherman in the Press - there's supposed to be a specific article (?? - Journal) -- where he made some out-of-line comment.. if he did, he deserves to be let go from any job..

He was mouthing how unhappy he was? Fine.... here's the door, pal....

22. ArizonaPackerFan

ArizonaPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If any of the Packer players were thinking of loafing the rest of the season because of their losing record, I hope the cutting of Thomas wakes them up to the fact that they better still be giving 100% effort.

I've actually been pleased with their effort the last few games, but I keep wondering if there will ever come a point where some players start tanking it because they don't see much hope for the season. I seen some Cardinals teams do that over the years, and it's not pretty when it happens. Hopefully it won't happen to the Packers.

23. paxvogel

paxvogel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    thomas was getting worse while Carroll is getting better. Carroll has never given any indication he is a troublemaker while Thomas has. So hard to predict, look at the disaster Pacman Jones has been in Atlanta. Shannon Sharpe had nothing good to say about him on the NFL channel.