Packers vs Titans Pre Game Chit chat Thread: Thursday Night Football...

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The average leading running back has rushed for 38.5 yards against the Titans over the past 8 weeks. I don't care how bad the running game, that's a REALLY impressive stretch over 8 games. My point was not that the Packers have no hope, my point was that the Packers will need a viable passing game to win against the Titans. Counting on Aaron Jones and Dillon to run for 200+ yards against the Titans is fun but I don't think it's the most realistic path to victory.
You prabobly right. However it's man on man up front whic means the Boyz up front need to wage war and win more battles then they lose and we still should be able to run the ball.

And after Christian Watson burned the Cowboys I doubt Tennessee will load the bothank leave a single safety on the island daring us to beat them passing.

If we can't run the ball it's going to be a long day, however as long as we can limit KH to under 100 yards we should still be able to won this game.

We have everything to play for and confidence flying high.

Let's go Boyz!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Titans have, by far, the best run defense in the NFL so I'm not sure everyone's favorite strategy of running the ball 60+ times is going to work. Packers are really going to need a sizable contribution from Watson/Lazard/Cobb/Jones in the passing game if they're going to score on this defense. As for the Packers' defense? Henry is salivating so much at going against this defense he might miss the game due to dehydration.
Nattering Nabob of Negativism alert!

Run the ball 60+ times??? Just who is everyone? I've never seen anyone here even imply such a thing.

Reaction score

Run the ball 60+ times??? Just who is everyone? I've never seen anyone here even imply such a thing.
Amen. we generally only have about 65 plays so that would be almost impossible unless you ran it every play. Everyone said we couldnt move the ball in Buffalo 206 yards later. Everyone said we couldnt move the ball against Dallas.. 208 yards later. We can put up 115 yards rushing and a respectable 4.4 per on about 25 carries. Our RB are better than people think

Looks like Cobb was just activated. That's not good news for a poor Tennessee secondary. As much as I like Doubs, having our Slot back and having a legit Deep threat is going to start paying dividends as the season wears on. GB 23 Tennesee 17

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I’m not sure how i was negative? Hyperbolic, yes, but i didn’t say the packers couldn’t win, just that they would need a functioning passing game. I didn’t realize this thread was so literal.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not sure how i was negative? Hyperbolic, yes, but i didn’t say the packers couldn’t win, just that they would need a functioning passing game. I didn’t realize this thread was so literal.
Words have meaning

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems that the Titans have always had a fast and physical defensive front. The boys are going to have to be ready for a brawl Thursday night. And prayers for anybody trying to tackle that beast Henry.

Baby Quay won't cut it. Campbell gotta tape that ankle up and play.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers gotta put up points.

Doesn't matter how.

Gotta run it up on the scoreboard and play aggressive defense.

Willis or Tannehill must be a non-factor.

Hopefully, Watson steps it up and gains consistency, because this Titans secondary is a definite weakness.

Tonyan must get a good number of targets, because I can't think of any players that can cover him.

Please keep Kisean Nixon as a returner.

Clearly, he is a Pro Bowler on special teams, and a plus defender in the secondary.

Campbell gotta come back, Quay ain't ready for the King.

Good thing this game is at Lambeau.

Packers 31 > Titans 17

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Baby Quay won't cut it. Campbell gotta tape that ankle up and play.
I think Q has played better each game. And I like the way McDuffie has been playing. Don't see Campbell as any savior. I just hope he can play well. But I don't want to play him unless he outplays the other 3. Contract or no.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tennessee has the #2 rushing defense. This will be a tremendous challenge for the Packers O-line. If they can't run the ball and have to rely on Rodgers to carry the load, points will be hard to come by. Of course, slowing down Henry will be the key. They did a good job on him in 2020, holding him under 100. That was also Dillon's coming out game as he ran for 124 yards. Let's hope for a similar result. This will come down to who can win the trenches.
Didn't Buffalo have #1 run D#?
We run for 200+ on them this should be no different as long as the desire and execution is there, and if they stuck the box which I doubt throw bombs to CW.

D

Deleted member 6794

Their defense is good. But they have faced the Colts twice, Denver, Houston, and the Raiders. Not exactly teams that are going to put up 35 or 40 like Buffalo.

The Titans were able to hold the Chiefs to only 17 points in regulation two weeks ago as well.

Most of us (if I may speak for "the group" advocating more run plays) would desire closer to 50/50 mix to better utilize Aaron Jones & AJ Dillon.

It might not be a smart approach running the ball that often against a defense that excels at it but has issues defending the pass.

Amen. we generally only have about 65 plays so that would be almost impossible unless you ran it every play. Everyone said we couldnt move the ball in Buffalo 206 yards later. Everyone said we couldnt move the ball against Dallas.. 208 yards later.

I don't think there was anyone suggesting the Packers wouldn't be able to have success running the ball against the Cowboys.

While a lot of fans are taking pride in the team putting up great numbers rushing against the Bills you might want to consider that the team lost that game by 10 points and the Bills dared them to run it for most of the game.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Words have meaning

Yes, so where were my word saying the packers would lose? I simply questioned whether a run focused offense was the best idea and said they’d need a passing game to field a good offense. How is THAT negative?

Is using hyperbole negative? No, at most it’s sarcastic.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
They have a good defense but remember they played the Colts twice, Broncos, Texans, and Raiders. Not exactly powerhouses. The Bills put 41 on them.
The stats are the stats. They are factual and tell a story. The Packers are 4-6. The Colts are 4-5-1, Broncos 3-6, Texans 1-7-1, Raiders 2-7. You're saying to keep in mind that the Titans are doing that against bad teams. Fair point, take a look at the Packers record and their stats. They're right in the mix of the teams you point out. I would concede the Packers are slightly better. In terms of offensive points by ranking, Broncos 32, Texans 29, Colts 28, Packers 25. My prediction remains the same. As always, when I pick the Packers to lose, I hope I'm wrong.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
The Titans were able to hold the Chiefs to only 17 points in regulation two weeks ago as well.

It might not be a smart approach running the ball that often against a defense that excels at it but has issues defending the pass.

I don't think there was anyone suggesting the Packers wouldn't be able to have success running the ball against the Cowboys.

While a lot of fans are taking pride in the team putting up great numbers rushing against the Bills you might want to consider that the team lost that game by 10 points and the Bills dared them to run it for most of the game.
These are all great points. It's not as though I want the Packers to lose to the Titans. A lot of fans in my area are now way overconfident that the Packers are going to win this game and make a playoff run. I'm just pumping the brakes on that idea and pointing out the facts. Some people don't like stats, but they tell a story. I wouldn't say they are game predictors. However, one can find trends through them. The Packers can definitely beat the Titans. I just don't think it is going to be a cake walk. The Titans are 6-3 for a reason and the Packers are 4-6 for a reason. Great win against Dallas and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Let's not forget that it took overtime to get the win and overtime against the Pats. This team could easily be sitting at 2-8. I think the Packers come back down to earth, struggle against the Titans defense, and Henry does enough on the ground to control the ball. The Titans have a toughness to them. I think we are in for a bit of a let down on Thursday. Regardless, I will be watching and hoping they show up and battle. GPG!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, so where were my word saying the packers would lose? I simply questioned whether a run focused offense was the best idea and said they’d need a passing game to field a good offense. How is THAT negative?

Is using hyperbole negative? No, at most it’s sarcastic.
Never mind. You're not going to change the way you communicate. It's not worth the trouble trying to explain it.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amen. we generally only have about 65 plays so that would be almost impossible unless you ran it every play. Everyone said we couldnt move the ball in Buffalo 206 yards later. Everyone said we couldnt move the ball against Dallas.. 208 yards later. We can put up 115 yards rushing and a respectable 4.4 per on about 25 carries. Our RB are better than people think

Looks like Cobb was just activated. That's not good news for a poor Tennessee secondary. As much as I like Doubs, having our Slot back and having a legit Deep threat is going to start paying dividends as the season wears on. GB 23 Tennesee 17
I think he was exaggerating when he said 60 times just like I think you are exaggerating when you say "everyone" said we couldn't move the ball................
Carry on.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers offense will need to execute to keep Henry off the field. Packer D has struggled to stop the run and the Titans isn't the game where that trend is likely to end. If the Packers can win the turnover battle they can stay in the game, otherwise it could be be a long night where the Titans run the ball down the Packers throat.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This D line needs to be physical and tame that beast. If you do not love the ground and pound, that is exactly what is in store here. Keys to this game are be patient with our running game, lots of play action and get the ball spread around. The defense has to be ready for a slobberknocker physical test. Safeties have to be ready to fill and attempt to keep the mack truck in check. Lets see what MLF has in store on offense - whatever is decided, it has to be creative: none of this constant shotgun AR spread chuck n duck either. They must use play action and get Jones out on a circle route and Ricky Bobby Tonyon on the cross.

Realistically I see this going OT.

Reaction score

Yeah yeah yeah. We should stop running because we’ll get beat by 10 points if we run. That whole little story went bye bye when we clobbered Dallas last week. Any doubts about our run game were firmly dismantled.

You obviously didn’t watch the same game I did in Buffalo. GB didn’t lose to Buffalo by 10 points because of our Running was somehow “allowed” by The Bills to march up and down the field much of the day. Green Bay lost by 10 points in Buffalo because our Defense couldn’t stop Buffalo the entire first half, including allowing Josh to squeak out a walk off FG before halftime on a super quick drive. Without that quick march for a FG it was a 24-17 game and we had the ball last inside the Buffalo 38 yard line with :45 sec left and 4th n 10.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

These are all great points. It's not as though I want the Packers to lose to the Titans. A lot of fans in my area are now way overconfident that the Packers are going to win this game and make a playoff run. I'm just pumping the brakes on that idea and pointing out the facts. Some people don't like stats, but they tell a story. I wouldn't say they are game predictors. However, one can find trends through them. The Packers can definitely beat the Titans. I just don't think it is going to be a cake walk.

I definitely don't believe beating the Titans will be a cake walk either. I feel more confident about their chances after beating the Cowboys on Sunday than I did before though.

Yeah yeah yeah. We should stop running because we’ll get beat by 10 points if we run. That whole little story went bye bye when we clobbered Dallas last week. Any doubts about our run game were firmly dismantled.

The Cowboys rank 29th in the league in rushing yards allowed. The Titans defense is on a whole different level, ranking second in the league while allowing only two rushing touchdowns. They're more vulnerable defending the pass though.

With that being said the Packers should try to establish the run early but if it doesn't work (as it has against several opponents this season) there's no point of doing it just for the sake of it.

You obviously didn’t watch the same game I did in Buffalo. GB didn’t lose to Buffalo by 10 points because of our Running was somehow “allowed” by The Bills to march up and down the field much of the day. Green Bay lost by 10 points in Buffalo because our Defense couldn’t stop Buffalo the entire first half, including allowing Josh to squeak out a walk off FG before halftime on a super quick drive. Without that quick march for a FG it was a 24-17 game and we had the ball last inside the Buffalo 38 yard line with :45 sec left and 4th n 10.

I didn't say the Packers lost because of the Bills allowing them to run the ball. There's no reason to take any pride in the numbers they put up in that game as they lost by 10 points though.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Titans have, by far, the best run defense in the NFL so I'm not sure everyone's favorite strategy of running the ball 60+ times is going to work. Packers are really going to need a sizable contribution from Watson/Lazard/Cobb/Jones in the passing game if they're going to score on this defense. As for the Packers' defense? Henry is salivating so much at going against this defense he might miss the game due to dehydration.
The Titans have the 2nd ranked rushing defense, but our rushing defense is bad and ppl are hurt. Henry is probably going to have a big day. There difference is going to come to eating up clock to keep our defense as fresh as possible.

Reaction score
The Cowboys rank 29th in the league in rushing yards allowed. The Titans defense is on a whole different level, ranking second in the league while allowing only two rushing touchdowns. They're more vulnerable defending the pass though.
29th rushing I’m seeing as the Seahawks D as of today.
Dallas dropped ranking (I believe they were 23rd before that contest) as they are now 24th in rushing after a complete shellacking by GB’s ground game.
Although Dallas looked like a 29th Rushing Defense I’ll admit that.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As if "staying alive" in the playoff race wasn't enough incentive... a Packer win tonight makes them the All-Time NFL franchise leader with 787 wins!! Da Bears & Pack are tied with 786 at the moment... let's hope tonight is a night of celebration!?!?

D

Deleted member 6794

29th rushing I’m seeing as the Seahawks D as of today.
Dallas dropped ranking (I believe they were 23rd before that contest) as they are now 24th in rushing after a complete shellacking by GB’s ground game.
Although Dallas looked like a 29th Rushing Defense I’ll admit that.

Once again, when looking at those numbers you need to rank teams based on yards given up per game to account for bye weeks.

The Cowboys rank 29th in that category with 143.1 rushing yards allowed per game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts