Packers vs Steelers Game Thread: Steel is hard Edition

Reaction score
Remember, it isn’t just ONE higher draft pick, it's six, one in each round. We gave up our 5th round pick in the Rasul Douglas trade.
Exactly. Plus, if I’m not mistaken, draft order applies universally. Such as our compensatory selections, waiver wire for vested players, etc. . So all across the board the NFL promotes a lower team’s placing to position them to remain competitive.

We’ve been on the opposite side of that help in the vast majority of seasons going back 3 decades, so it’s no wonder we don’t value these benefits, we’ve rarely been able to apply them.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Exactly. Plus, if I’m not mistaken, draft order applies universally. Such as our compensatory selections, waiver wire for vested players, etc. . So all across the board the NFL promotes a lower team’s placing to position them to remain competitive.

We’ve been on the opposite side of that help in the vast majority of seasons going back 3 decades, so it’s no wonder we don’t value these benefits, we’ve rarely been able to apply them.
Yup and of course that first rounder, if somewhere in the top 5 can be VERY valuable. The last time that the Packers had a top 5 pick was in 2006, they selected AJ Hawk with the #5 pick. Top 3 pick? That was in 1989, when most of the current Packers weren't even born. Arguably, the Packers biggest draft bust in their history, Tony Mandarich was selected with the #2 pick.

I would love to see the Packers continue to build on Sundays game, more development of the young guys, especially Love and I am just fine with ending the season with 3-4 wins, if that gets Gute a top 1 or 2 in every round. If the Packers see Love as their future QB, that first round pick could be traded to a team that desperately wants a top QB and in return, possibly some really decent draft Capital for Gute to fill some holes.

If the draft were today, the Packers would hold the #6 spot.

Go Panthers, Cardinals, Giants, Bears, Rams, Patriots and Titans!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup and of course that first rounder, if somewhere in the top 5 can be VERY valuable. The last time that the Packers had a top 5 pick was in 2006, they selected AJ Hawk with the #5 pick. Top 3 pick? That was in 1989, when most of the current Packers weren't even born. Arguably, the Packers biggest draft bust in their history, Tony Mandarich was selected with the #2 pick.

I would love to see the Packers continue to build on Sundays game, more development of the young guys, especially Love and I am just fine with ending the season with 3-4 wins, if that gets Gute a top 1 or 2 in every round. If the Packers see Love as their future QB, that first round pick could be traded to a team that desperately wants a top QB and in return, possibly some really decent draft Capital for Gute to fill some holes.

The danger I fearful of Gute's temptation at picking a QB there would cause him to in essence IMO possibly set the team back by giving us a rookie QB who IMO for 2024 would have less a chance of winning than Love will in his second year. However, you do that of course if you feel that Love's ceiling isn't ever going to be what you want and you gamble to see if a rookie's will be at the cost of another growth year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The danger I fearful of Gute's temptation at picking a QB there would cause him to in essence IMO possibly set the team back by giving us a rookie QB who IMO for 2024 would have less a chance of winning than Love will in his second year. However, you do that of course if you feel that Love's ceiling isn't ever going to be what you want and you gamble to see if a rookie's will be at the cost of another growth year.
Yes, the pitfalls of not having a QB that you are 100% positive in for the future. Teams have turned themselves around by selecting a top QB and teams have dug themselves a deeper hole by striking out on a "top QB". Without a doubt, QB is really the hardest position to predict the final results in the NFL.

Obviously, the best thing that happens to the Packers in 2023 is Love becoming THE guy and the Packers can start setting the pieces around him through the draft and Free Agency. While I am not 100% on Love, I think he is better than some Packer fans think. We can only hope that in the next 8 games, Loves development curve shows a drastic increase upward.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

The league rules have worked against us for 30 years. Makes our accomplishments all the more admirable. Kudos again to our management teams, past and present.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

If the draft were today, the Packers would hold the #6 spot.

Go Panthers, Cardinals, Giants, Bears, Rams, Patriots and Titans!
I haven't seen any generational type talent that will be coming out in the next draft but perhaps Tynimiller or Dantes could provide more insight on that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The league rules have worked against us for 30 years. Makes our accomplishments all the more admirable. Kudos again to our management teams, past and present.
I agree that the Packer organization deserves a lot of credit for their success for so many years, while drafting late in most rounds.

As far as the "League Rules" to promote parity, I absolutely love the way they do it and the Cap rule is by FAR the best thing that the NFL does, that most other major Sports fail at. I really don't think the Packers would be able to compete in the NFL if the salary structure was like MLB or the NBA.

The only parity rule that I would like to see changed is "waiver priority". Currently, the team with the worst record from the previous season (up until 3 weeks of the next season has passed) or the present season (after 3 games have been played), gets first priority on EVERY player as they are released, except for the Veteran rule, that allows a veteran with 3+ years of experience, to sign with a team of their choice. Which is fine. However, I feel if a team claims a player, they should be rotated to the end of the list and every other team moves up 1 spot. How big of an impact has the way they currently do it been? Honestly, I don't know, but having that #1 waiver wire position in Sept, when teams trim their rosters, appears to be way too much of a "bonus" to me.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I haven't seen any generational type talent that will be coming out in the next draft but perhaps Tynimiller or Dantes could provide more insight on that.
Personally, I think Marvin Harrison Jr. would be my pick. I know in a previous post I said that the Packers should wait on a WR, since Watson, Doubs and Reed are all so young and developing. However, MHJ....he is the REAL deal and this guy is about as close as you ever come to a sure FOHF pick.

For other positions:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. I just looked at last years comp picks and they seem to start out last to first but do not seem to stay that way. Does anybody know the exact method of how the picks are assigned? Thanks in advance.
2. Drafting a QB early (top 112) IMO would be worse than drafting Love in the 1st place.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. I just looked at last years comp picks and they seem to start out last to first but do not seem to stay that way. Does anybody know the exact method of how the picks are assigned? Thanks in advance.
2. Drafting a QB early (top 112) IMO would be worse than drafting Love in the 1st place.

I don't know if I'd say worse so openly because of all the "stuff" of why Love was picked (remember I screamed Pittman so not a Love supporter pick wise). But I agree, to a point anything QB related in Day1 or Day2 IMO would be a worse pick than the Love pick for the growth of this team in 2024 and arguable may be a setback.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think they are assigned strictly on the position that the team finished the previous season. That might factor into the "highly guarded Secret formula" that determines comp picks, but I think other factors weigh into where the pick lands.

I assume that each "qualified lost player", for each team that qualifies for comp pick(s), is assigned a value. The value and how it is calculated, is assumed to be influenced by using salary, position, playing time, etc.

Once those rankings/values are created, then they get slotted at the end of the designated round for comp picks.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not sure either. Someone implied that the Pack would not only get a better pick each round but also in each compensatory round. That did not sound correct to me but I do not actually know the correct answer.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I am not sure either. Someone implied that the Pack would not only get a better pick each round but also in each compensatory round. That did not sound correct to me but I do not actually know the correct answer.
I saw that post too, but I don't think it is correct.

This is what I found:

"The compensatory picks are positioned from Round 3 to Round 7 based on the value of the compensatory free agents lost. The formula that determines compensatory free agents is based on salary, playing time and postseason honors."

Reaction score
I still think they’ll commit 1 more season with Love based on what I’m seeing. What’s the worst thing? Love wins 2-4 games next year? That sounds like another top 5 pick in the 2025 draft and a feasible trade up to a top 2-3 overall.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I still think they’ll commit 1 more season with Love based on what I’m seeing. What’s the worst thing? Love wins 2-4 games next year? That sounds like another top 5 pick in the 2025 draft and a feasible trade up to a top 2-3 overall.
I agree. Unless of course, they decide that Love isn't their guy.

Reaction score
I agree. Unless of course, they decide that Love isn't their guy.
He’d have to take a major step backwards. For a first year starter he’s been fine. Several of these past games were losses more due to other factors than Jordan imo. Again he gets all the accolades and all the blame. Mostly Blame when it’s a bunch of green peas around him

JPPT1974

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well game was messy to say the least. Give Love experience and that he is managing the best he can. But has a long way to go.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He’d have to take a major step backwards. For a first year starter he’s been fine. Several of these past games were losses more due to other factors than Jordan imo. Again he gets all the accolades and all the blame. Mostly Blame when it’s a bunch of green peas around him
Oh I agree with your assessment 100%, but the coaches and Gute are going to have a much clearer picture of Love's future in Green Bay than you or I.

If we see Gute pass on a top QB in Round 1, we know that they also believe that he deserves another year. If they grab a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round, then I think they probably have some doubts. No QB drafted? Probably safe to assume that Love is the plan, for now.

Now if they grab a top QB with their first pick, I think we have our answer.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Gene Steratore now agrees that the Refs botched the LATERAL call. As did Dean Blandino.

Steratore uses the "excuse" that when you only have 30 seconds to look at it, sometimes you don't get it right. Well Gene, the guys reviewing it in New York should be better than that. It was pretty damn obvious from where I was sitting, as well as where CBS's commentator Charles Davis was sitting as well.

This wasn't even close IMO.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the refs were supposed to let the play go on before blowing the whistle. Just in case. That guy made a real error of judgement. Another reason for having full time officials. And I assume it was the whistle that caused the replay people to not change the call.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I thought the refs were supposed to let the play go on before blowing the whistle. Just in case. That guy made a real error of judgement. Another reason for having full time officials. And I assume it was the whistle that caused the replay people to not change the call.
Yes and No.

I agree that refs are supposed to let it play out and not blow their whistles and too often they prematurely blow their ....whistle, too early.

Maybe they need to have someone in the booth, with better vision, blow a loud horn to signal a play is dead?

As far as if that influenced the call, they (officials) are claiming no, since if that made it a non-reviewable call, it wouldn't have been reviewed, nor would the Packers have lost a challenge and a timeout. DID it influence the final call on replay? Perhaps. If it did influence the call, then someone in NY should lose their job.

Members online

Latest posts