Packers vs Bears: Previews & Predictions

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PREVIEW & INJURY STATUS REPORT

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL+Zone/Games/2007/2.16+-+Green+Bay+at+Chicago.htm?tab=preview

Overview: The Packers clinched a first-round bye in the playoffs with their 33-14 road victory over the Rams. The Bears are coming off a short workweek after losing 20-13 to Minnesota on Monday night and being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. The Bears are responsible for one of the Packers’ two losses. In Week Five, the Bears took advantage of five Green Bay turnovers in a come-from-behind 27-20 victory.

When the Packers have the ball: Look for QB Brett Favre to nickel-and-dime the Bears’ defense with short slants and crossing routes to a multitude of weapons before turning the second-half show over to RB Ryan Grant, who could have success wearing down a Chicago D-line that is really hurting inside. Against the Rams, Favre completed his first nine passes to eight different receivers.

When the Bears have the ball: QB Kyle Orton’s specialty is short, quick throws, and the Packers can expect to see plenty of them, particularly to RB Adrian Peterson and Devin Hester, whose development as a receiver is expected to be greatly accelerated. Rookie Garrett Wolfe will also see increased playing time in the Bears’ backfield. Orton figures to test physical Packers CBs Rod Woodson and Al Harris with a few well-timed shots downfield to Hester and Bernard Berrian.

Matchup to watch: Green Bay’s pass defense, which has had problems covering opposing tight ends this season, could be looking at double trouble from Bears TEs Greg Olsen and Desmond Clark, who each scored a TD in the Week Five matchup.

By the numbers: Favre needs four TD passes in the last two games to add to his own league record by throwing 30 or more in nine seasons. … The Bears’ defense has given up an average of 359.7 yards in its last three games vs. the Packers.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/story/2007/12/22/15513/506

A lot of names, but few players are out. Starters DT Ryan Pickett and CB Charles Woodson will play. It looks like CB Jarrett Bush will return as the nickel back. TE Bubba Franks might even make it back.

Still the Packers situation is much better than it is in Chicago. Defensive starters LB Lance Briggs and DE Mark Anderson appear out while starting DT Tommie Harris, DT Darwin Walker, and CB Nathan Vasher might not play. That's five starters to go along with their other starters (LG Ruben Brown, RB Cedric Benson, FS Mike Brown) that have already been lost for the season.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AMUSING AOL ONLINE PREVIEW

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007...urning-the-chicago-river-green-for-christmas/

Packers at Bears: Turning the Chicago River Green for Christmas

When the Packers have the ball: Green Bay's first choice is to attack through the air but they aren't totally reliant on the pass. Ryan Grant has the second-most yards in the league since Week Eight and has found great success running behind a very good Packer line. With Tommie Harris and Darwin Walker ailing, the middle of the Bears defensive line should yield good gains for Grant and force the Bears to adjust their defense forward. When they do that Favre can take advantage. Tight end Donald Lee is a force in play action and Donald Driver, James Jones and Greg Jennings down the field. Nathan Vasher played for the first time in ages last week and made some plays in Minnesota, but he's missed practice all week and Tarvaris Jackson isn't exactly of Favre's caliber.

When the Bears have the ball: Pity Kyle Orton. With a good offensive line and competent rushing game, he'd have a chance to lead a Bears upset. With the lesser Adrian Peterson and this blocking outfit, though, he'll just hope to avoid a broken jaw so he can enjoy some egg nog on Tuesday. Aaron Kampman and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila are licking their chops at the prospect of John Tait and Fred Miller on the outside. The Bears have given up 41 sacks this season, that number figures to grow since Orton needs to hold the ball long enough for Bernard Berrian to get deep if the Bears hope to move the ball with any effectiveness.

The Edge: This isn't hard to find. Green Bay still has a shot at home field throughout the playoffs while the Bears have nothing to look forward to until April. Favre and the offense shouldn't find much resistance from an ailing defense and their pass rush should make it impossible for Orton to generate anything but groans.

Keep an eye on: Nick Barnett - Barnett was a fairly egregious snub when the Pro Bowl rosters were allowed this week and he'll show why he was deserving of a lei by bottling up the Bears run game with ease.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
Zombieslayer said:
Heh. I wanted to do a poll that went like this:

Packers by 10-19 points
Packers by 20-29 points
Packers by 30-39 points
Packers by 40 or more.

I agree Z! I don't care WHAT anybody says about you... YOU are all right!
Can I be the first to vote?

Actually, What killed the Packe3rs vs the Bears earlier was the 5 turn overs and a dozen penalties, some of which negated some key plays. Even so, Pack only lost by 27-20.

This time, Packers are better about holding onto the football, and are a more controlled team thus, the mistakes should be minimal which bodes VERY badly for the meeksters of the midway.

I see Aaron Rodgers throw for a TD and lead the team to a couple of Tds and a Field Goal as the Packers ROMP 40-10

I was going to say 30-39. I don't think we'll beat them by 40.

I don't expect the Packers to beat the bears by 40 however, I do expect the Pack to score 40 :)

Packers 45
Bears 7