Packers vs Bears: Previews & Predictions

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/story/2007/12/20/22627/605

Preview: Green Bay at Chicago

QB Kyle Orton will get his 2nd start of the season. In sixteen career starts, Orton has had a passer rating above 89.2 in two of them, and has a career passer rating of 59.7. They have no chance to win with Orton as their starter. Chicago has kept the score within eight points in their last four losses, although they were blown out last week at Minnesota and only kept the final score within seven points because Minnesota's QB Tavaris Jackson was a turnover machine. Turnovers and special teams might keep this game close and I'll guess the Packers win 20-12.

Teams FO Ranking NFL Ranking
Packers Rushing Offense 11 28
Chicago Rushing Defense 4 25

It was no fluke that they held Minnesota's RB Adrian Peterson to under four yards a carry last week. The Packers run offense had an off week at St. Louis, but RB Ryan Grant ran for a career high in yardage the week before. The Packers run offense against Chicago's run defense should be a good matchup.

Chicago Rushing Offense 32 32
Packers Rushing Defense 8 15

The Packers run defense was playing great until they struggled in the first half at St. Louis. Chicago and the other RB Adrian Peterson is barely averaging over 3 yards per carry and can't run against anyone. Chicago won't run the ball anywhere.

Packers Passing Offense 5 2
Chicago Passing Defense 21 26

Statistically the Packers pass offense should roll on Sunday, but there are some signs that this might be a close battle. The pass offense has been slowed since QB Brett Favre's injury at Dallas, plus it will be cold, and possibly wet, in Chicago. Also, Chicago finally got starting CB Nathan Vasher back after he missed most of the season, and he had an interception against Minnesota last week. CB Charles Tillman had a monster game the last time they played and forced two fumbles. Favre will rack up yards and move the ball, but they could have trouble with turnovers.

Chicago Passing Offense 26 14
Packers Passing Defense 15 14

Ignore Chicago's pass offense rankings with Orton at QB. He isn't mobile and isn't accurate. The Packers pass defense was better early in the season, but has been trending towards average in recent weeks. Also, DE Aaron Kampman has to be looking forward to abusing RT Fred Miller. That should be more than adequate to shut down Orton.

Teams FO Ranking
Packers Special Teams 5
Chicago Special Teams 1

The special teams have carried the Packers the last two weeks, but Oakland and St. Louis have awful special teams units. Chicago has the best special teams in the NFL. KR Devin Hester is dangerous and K Robbie Gould has probably never missed a field goal against the Packers. This should be another good battle.
__________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=262615

Packers Keys For Success

1. Establish the run. Ryan Grant has emerged as one of the most consistent backs in the league during the second half of this season. He is averaging 96.5 yards rushing in the past eight games. Green Bay's offense is at its best when Grant gets 20-plus carries and takes some of the burden off quarterback Brett Favre. A solid rushing attack also opens up the play-action game for Favre, who excels at throwing over the middle. Donald Lee, a solid tight end with good hands, is an effective target off play-action. The Packers need to maintain a balanced attack on offense as they rev up for the playoffs.

2. Force the Bears to throw. Chicago's offense has been inconsistent moving the ball. With starting back Cedric Benson (leg injury) out for the season, the Bears have had an even more difficult time getting their ground game going, because replacement Adrian Peterson has not been productive enough. That has put more pressure on Chicago's quarterbacks to win games, something they've failed to do. The Packers want to force Chicago into obvious passing situations so they can tee off on quarterback Orton. Orton will be under duress all game and will most likely turn over the ball a time or two. The pressure applied by Green Bay's defensive front four will give cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson a good chance to make an interception.

3. Do not kick to Devin Hester. The Bears have a better chance of moving the ball with a Hester return than with their regular offense. Hester is the best return man in the NFL, and he can change the tide of any game with a single play. Green Bay is the superior team on both offense and defense, and it can't afford to kick the ball to the electrifying Hester and allow him to give the Bears good field position -- or, worse, give Chicago momentum with a return for a touchdown. The Packers will win this game if they play smart and allow their talent to win out.

4. Improve coverage downfield. Green Bay's defense is strong on the outside with Woodson and Harris, but the Bears can't play passive against them. They have to dictate the tempo and challenge the Packers deep, where they have struggled some in coverage, allowing 42 pass plays of 20-plus yards.

5. Beat press coverage. The Packers like to throw out of three-step drops, and Favre is one of the best in the game at throwing quick slants to his speedy wide receivers. Chicago needs cornerbacks Nathan Vasher and Charles Tillman to press receivers Greg Jennings and Donald Driver at the line of scrimmage. With Vasher and Tillman playing press coverage, the Bears want take away the quick slant and give their pass rushers more time to get to Favre.

6. Cover the TEs. Tight end Greg Olsen and Clark, in particular, could be big factors.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...t,1,1624875.htmlstory?coll=cs-bears-headlines

First look: Green Bay Packers at Bears

This could be Brett Favre's last visit to Soldier Field, where he is 12-2. Soldier Field has been the most hospitable host to Favre, as he has no more than five victories at any other road stadium. And Favre could be playing better than ever. He is consistently getting the ball downfield with a 7.94-yard average per attempt, yet he has thrown only 13 interceptions. The Packers will challenge the Bears' defensive backfield depth with their four- and five-receiver sets, creating matchups against the likes of Ricky Manning Jr. and Corey Graham.

Since Week 8, Ryan Grant has 772 rushing yards, second in the NFL behind LaDainian Tomlinson's 784. Grant gets a lot of his yards against nickel and dime defenses and with the safeties back. But you still have to give the ex-Notre Dame back credit. Nobody ever would have believed it early in the season, but containing Grant has to be a major concern for the Bears. For the Bears to have a chance against the Pack, they'll need some Devin Hester magic. But the Packers are the only team in the league that has not allowed a touchdown on any type of return this season.

Key stat: The Packers through 14 games had 1,851 yards after the catch—most in the NFL. The Bears, meanwhile, might lead the league in missed tackles. That combination could result in a lot of big plays.

Key matchup: Packers cornerbacks Charles Woodson and Al Harris versus Bears receivers Muhsin Muhammad and Bernard Berrian. Woodson and Harris might be the best set of corners in the NFL this year, and if they can prevent Muhammad and Berrian from getting open, the results will be either passes forced into coverage, check-downs or sacks. We'll probably see a lot of all three. Early pick: Packers 24, Bears 12.

:USA: :yeah: :agree: :thumbsup: :USA:

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for posting all of this Tophat! Great read as usual! :thumbsup:

Very interesting stat about not allowing a return TD, and being the only NFL team this year that can say that. Crazy.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heh. I wanted to do a poll that went like this:

Packers by 10-19 points
Packers by 20-29 points
Packers by 30-39 points
Packers by 40 or more.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Packers by 10-19 points
Packers by 20-29 points
Packers by 30-39 points
Packers by 40 or more.

I agree Z! I don't care WHAT anybody says about you... YOU are all right!
Can I be the first to vote?

Actually, What killed the Packe3rs vs the Bears earlier was the 5 turn overs and a dozen penalties, some of which negated some key plays. Even so, Pack only lost by 27-20.

This time, Packers are better about holding onto the football, and are a more controlled team thus, the mistakes should be minimal which bodes VERY badly for the meeksters of the midway.

I see Aaron Rodgers throw for a TD and lead the team to a couple of Tds and a Field Goal as the Packers ROMP 40-10

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:

Packers by 10-19 points
Packers by 20-29 points
Packers by 30-39 points
Packers by 40 or more.

I agree Z! I don't care WHAT anybody says about you... YOU are all right!
Can I be the first to vote?

Actually, What killed the Packe3rs vs the Bears earlier was the 5 turn overs and a dozen penalties, some of which negated some key plays. Even so, Pack only lost by 27-20.

This time, Packers are better about holding onto the football, and are a more controlled team thus, the mistakes should be minimal which bodes VERY badly for the meeksters of the midway.

I see Aaron Rodgers throw for a TD and lead the team to a couple of Tds and a Field Goal as the Packers ROMP 40-10

I was going to say 30-39. I don't think we'll beat them by 40.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I see VR voted already.. pesky little gnome. :razz:

I think you got the wrong thread there VR.. This is not how will the Vikes fair vs Skins. ;)

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see VR voted already.. pesky little gnome. :razz: ...

Sure, blame me. :p

The only little bit of pride that Da Bears have left is to complete the sweep of the Packers.

Perhaps the Packers are overdue for an upset.....

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:

The only little bit of pride that Da Bears have left is to complete the sweep of the Packers.

There's only one way we're going to lose to da Bears - turn the ball over at least five times and kick to Devon Hester. If we turn the ball over four or less times and don't kick to Hester, the game is a lock.

I'm predicting we win by 30-39 points. You can quote me on that next week if you'd like. :cool:

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:

If the Bears bring the same game that they brought against the Vikings, our JV would blow 'em out.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm ordinarily not a big optimist but IMO the only way the Packers DON'T rout dabears is if they make numerous mistakes...and I mean numerous. Dabears have no running attack even with Benson. Any pressure at all on Orton and he'll fold. My only worry is now our DL is not dominating with Jolly & Cole out. It will be tired in the 4th Q. We're really in trouble if Picket can't go. Luckily, we play well on the road for some reason.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Sorry to burst ur bubble, Obi1, but Rodge is probably gonna be inactive once again. :(

Oh yeah I forgot!

OK Craig Nall plays and does what I just wrote.

mike_donnelly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
has anybody mentioned that Brett will have the record for most wins vs 1 opponent when we beat Bears? I think he is still tied with Marino on that, for Marino vs Colts? Or is this incorrect?

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JSOnline Preview

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=698027

Preview: Green Bay Packers vs. Chicago Bears Line: Packers by 9.

FIVE THINGS TO WATCH

1.SUPER BOWL HANGOVER: Since 2001, the 2006 Seattle Seahawks were the only reigning Super Bowl runner-up to reach the playoffs the following year. The Bears will make it six of seven Super Bowl losers that flopped the following year. Chicago has 12 players on injured reserve, including four starters. But the Bears' problems go far deeper than injury.

2.DESPERATE TIMES, DESPERATE MEASURES? Chicago has tried - and failed with - Rex Grossman and Brian Griese at quarterback this season. So the Bears are going with former Purdue standout Kyle Orton. Orton, a fourth-round draft choice in 2005, started 15 games as a rookie and went 10-5. But Orton was far from impressive, throwing more interceptions (13) than touchdowns (nine) and completing 51.6% of his passes.

3.NO BITE: A year ago, Chicago ranked third in scoring defense, fifth in total defense and first in yards per play. At the end of the season, Bears coach Lovie Smith dumped defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and replaced him with Bob Babich, his longtime sidekick. The results have been awful. Following Monday night's game, Chicago ranked 29th in total defense, 26th against the pass and 25th vs. the run.

4.WINDY CITY FLYER: Chicago's Devin Hester, in just his second year, already is regarded in many circles as the best return man in NFL history. In his first 30 regular season games, Hester had 10 touchdowns and also had a kick return for a touchdown to open Super Bowl XLI. Most teams have elected to kick away from Hester or simply boot the ball out of bounds in recent weeks. Expect Green Bay to do the same.

5.HIS TOWN: Brett Favre has made 15 starts in Chicago since becoming Green Bay's starting quarterback in 1992. Amazingly, Favre is 13-2 in those games. His only losses came in 1993 and 2005. Overall, Favre is 22-9 against the Bears, and they'll certainly welcome the day when Favre decides to retire.

MATCHUPS

QUARTERBACKS Kyle Orton hadn't started a game in nearly two years, and then got the call Monday night in Minnesota. Orton, who was the Bears' third-stringer all season, showed why he was buried by posting a miserable 59.5 passer rating. Orton went 10-5 starting for an outstanding Chicago team in 2005, but his passer rating was a pedestrian 59.7 that year. Green Bay's Brett Favre now owns every significant passing record in NFL history and was named to his ninth Pro Bowl Tuesday. ADVANTAGE: Packers

RUNNING BACKS Chicago traded steady Thomas Jones in the off-season and put all of its eggs in Cedric Benson's basket. The move was a colossal disaster. Benson, the No. 4 overall pick in the 2005 draft, averaged just 3.4 yards per carry and 61.3 yards per game before going on injured reserve Nov. 28 with a lower left leg injury. That left the Bears with Adrian Peterson (no, not that one) and 5-foot-7 Garrett Wolfe. The Packers have caught lightning in a bottle with Ryan Grant this season (799 yards, 4.8 average), but will miss fullback Korey Hall this week. ADVANTAGE: Packers

RECEIVERS When it comes to catching touchdowns, Green Bay's Greg Jennings has become Mr. Automatic. Jennings has 12 touchdowns in 12 games this year and has scored five straight weeks. Koren Robinson seems to be shaking off the rust. Chicago found a keeper at tight end last April in first round pick Greg Olsen (34 catches, 346 yards, 2 touchdowns). ADVANTAGE: Packers

OFFENSIVE LINE Chicago's group got old and declined rapidly. They're a big reason the Bears rank dead last in the NFL in rushing offense at 78.4 yards per game. Favre hasn't been sacked since the Packers' 10th game of the year. ADVANTAGE: Packers

DEFENSIVE LINE Chicago has plummeted from 11th against the run in 2006 to 25th this season. A big reason has been the loss of defensive tackles Tank Johnson (released), Dusty Dvoracek (knee) and Anthony Adams (elbow). Green Bay's Aaron Kampman has 12 sacks. ADVANTAGE: Packers

LINEBACKERS Chicago's Brian Urlacher has gone through a tough year in which he's battled a back injury and had a child custody battle off the field. Lance Briggs will be a free agent this off-season, and if he hits the market, could be staring at a monster contract. Green Bay's Nick Barnett continued his fantastic season in St. Louis, with a game-high 13 tackles, two sacks and two quarterback hurries. ADVANTAGE: Bears

SECONDARY The Bears got standout Nathan Vasher back Monday after he'd missed 10 games with a groin injury. He and Charles Tillman form arguably the NFC's best cornerback tandem. Packer safety Atari Bigby is coming off his best NFL game, with two interceptions against St. Louis. But Al Harris has faded badly in the second half of the season and has allowed touchdown passes in three straight games. ADVANTAGE: Packers

SPECIAL TEAMS Green Bay's units are on fire. The Packers scored two touchdowns against Oakland in Week 14, then had their most complete day in years vs. St. Louis. But Chicago return ace Devin Hester, he of the 10 touchdowns in 30 career games, is already the best to ever play the position. ADVANTAGE: Bears

COACHING Green Bay's Mike McCarthy has sprinted to a 20-10 record in his first 30 games. Bears coach Lovie Smith made a terrible mistake this off-season when he replaced defensive coordinator Ron Rivera with pal Bob Babich. ADVANTAGE: Packers

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Awesome, thanks for posting all of this Tophat! Great read as usual! :thumbsup:

Very interesting stat about not allowing a return TD, and being the only NFL team this year that can say that. Crazy.

Thanks to "Pack in black", "Tromadz", and "Zombieslayer" for your comments of appreciation. Good to know.

:wink: 8) :wink: 8)

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FRIDAY INJURY REPORT: AFTERNOON

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2007/12/21/bears-week-2-friday-practice-report.aspx

Bears week 2: Friday practice report

The Packers wrapped up their week of practice leading into the Bears game with a jog-through and regular workout. The most pertinent injury issue is nose tackle Ryan Pickett's groin strain. Pickett took part in the jog-through but not in the faster-paced regular portion. Pickett is pushing to play, but coach Mike McCarthy said he's being cautious. "He's ready to play," McCarthy said. "He feels very good about the progress that he's made throughout the week. That's something with 48 hours left to the game that we need to be smart with. Ryan wants to play, he feels that he's ready to play, and (team physician) Pat McKenzie is a little more cautious at this point. We'll take him all the way to the game because we still have two days left."

Also:

Linebacker Brady Poppinga took part in practice after missing Thursday because of illness.

Tight end Bubba Franks made some progress and has a chance to play Sunday. Said McCarthy: "Bubba has made progress throughout this past month. We've had some up and down periods on his progress. He had a very positive day today. He felt very good this morning. All indications are coming off the practice field, he kind of gave (trainer) Pepper Burruss a thumbs-up as we were walking off the field there. The big decision for Bubba will be really how he feels in the morning. We'll see how he is."

The Packers' injury report is this: CB Jarrett Bush (calf), questionable; Franks (knee), questionable; Pickett (groin), questionable; QB Aaron Rodgers (hamstring), doubtful; S Aaron Rouse (shoulder), probable; LB Tracy White (ankle), questionable; and CB Charles Woodson (toe), probable.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matchup & Favre Tribute

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/premium-matchup/

You can have your Favre vs. Urlacher or your Woodson vs. Berrian. For my money, the best match-up to watch this weekend will be Spitz vs. Briggs. The last time the Packers faced the Bears, Lance Briggs had a monster game, almost singlehandedly shutting down the Packers running game in the second half. Of course, Daryn Colledge was in at left guard and Jason Spitz was in at center. On Sunday, Scott Wells will be back at center and Spitz will be in at left guard. This makes a huge difference in that it will be mainly Spitz’ job to get off the double team and get to the second level and take care of Briggs, something that Colledge did a miserable job of last time. Spitz has the ability, and the toughness to take on Briggs. Here’s hoping we see a lot of Ryan Grant busting into the open off the left side…

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/071221

THE LEGEND

Comments: I'm just plain terrified by the possibility of a Pats-Packers Super Bowl -- not only will 90 percent of the crowd be Packers fans, not only will the entire country be galvanized behind one team like nothing we've seen since "USA 4, USSR 3," but it will be humanly impossible for the officials to avoid secretly rooting for the Pack in that one. How could you help it? Subconsciously, wouldn't you give Green Bay every break without even knowing it? Seeing Favre carry a team to a Super Bowl title at his age, with all the miles he's carrying, would be the best Father Time-defying sports moment....

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Matchup & Favre Tribute

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/premium-matchup/

You can have your Favre vs. Urlacher or your Woodson vs. Berrian. For my money, the best match-up to watch this weekend will be Spitz vs. Briggs. The last time the Packers faced the Bears, Lance Briggs had a monster game, almost singlehandedly shutting down the Packers running game in the second half. Of course, Daryn Colledge was in at left guard and Jason Spitz was in at center. On Sunday, Scott Wells will be back at center and Spitz will be in at left guard. This makes a huge difference in that it will be mainly Spitz’ job to get off the double team and get to the second level and take care of Briggs, something that Colledge did a miserable job of last time. Spitz has the ability, and the toughness to take on Briggs. Here’s hoping we see a lot of Ryan Grant busting into the open off the left side…

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/071221

THE LEGEND

Comments: I'm just plain terrified by the possibility of a Pats-Packers Super Bowl -- not only will 90 percent of the crowd be Packers fans, not only will the entire country be galvanized behind one team like nothing we've seen since "USA 4, USSR 3," but it will be humanly impossible for the officials to avoid secretly rooting for the Pack in that one. How could you help it? Subconsciously, wouldn't you give Green Bay every break without even knowing it? Seeing Favre carry a team to a Super Bowl title at his age, with all the miles he's carrying, would be the best Father Time-defying sports moment....
ooh! chills.

Members online

Latest posts