Packers vs 49ers Preseason Game 1: Game-Thread

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isnt meant solely for you..but I need to get this off my chest.

When are people going to realize... They KNEW he needed time.. They KNEW he wasnt ready to start. He wasnt drafted to start right away or in his 3rd year. team knew this going in..it was a project. Just like Gary they knew he was a project as well.

And im sorry but it is only year 2..he had no preseason games to work on. If no preseason you cant count games that arent played

Sometimes you draft guys on potential and groom them..thats what they did with Gary and love.

There have been huge improvments since last year. If there wasnt then okay, time to rattle your *******.
But he has 2 more years to show more.

some wont like that but to effing bad. Im am 70% sure his 5th year is picked up

So buckle up or root for da bears
I get your point and no offense taken, at least not in my case. And actually, I agree with most of what you've written. The only part I disagree with is that Love has had "huge" improvements since last year. And that's subjective so two people can see it differently. The other point that's been made is that it took Favre and Rodgers more than a year to start to show their talent. And Davantae Adams took three years.

The comparison to Gary is a good one. Gary was a pretty raw talent with limited production at MI but almost unlimited upside. And that's coming true.

So there is plenty of precedent for guys getting drafted and then taking one or two years to develop. In fact, that's probably true of over 90% of the guys drafted. It's just my opinion that Love will not develop into a starting QB. That doesn't mean he shouldn't be given the chance, and he's getting it. I'd rather see him do well.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy deserves a lot of credit for changing Rodgers' mechanics.

Love had some great and some bad throws against the Niners. But please don't look at the box score and conclude he had a terrible game as he wasn't responsible for two of those interceptions in any way.

You're right, no other quarterback who is currently #2 on the depth chart threw more passes in week 1 of the preseason than Love.

The situation was completely different with Favre as he was starting from his first season on in Green Bay.
I'm not a huge MM fan - and only because he grew stale in the job and didn't adapt after 10 years. No question though that he helped Rodgers with his throwing motion. And it's good to remember the coaches. These players go into the HOF with a lot of fanfare. It's good to remember the people who helped them get there.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy deserves a lot of credit for changing Rodgers' mechanics.
Was it actually McCarthy or was it Tom Clements who was the QB coach from 2006-2011, and now also 2022? I know MM conducted his QB-camp in the offseason but just wondering if MM organized it but Clements did 95% of the work?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was it actually McCarthy or was it Tom Clements who was the QB coach from 2006-2011, and now also 2022? I know MM conducted his QB-camp in the offseason but just wondering if MM organized it but Clements did 95% of the work?
Good point. It might very well be Clements who had the greatest influence on Rodgers. MM was also involved through the QB camp.

The Packers have been fortunate to have such good coaches, for the most part, over the years - certainly on offense.

Defense is another matter, with Capers tenure being far too long. Now it's up to Barry to take all that talent and make it shine.

And STs? Ugh, nothing to say other than I hope Bisaccia is the answer for that group.

It's entirely possible that we come back in a year and say the team was successful largely because of its D. That's a bit of a stretch, but not as much as the last 10 years. STs can contribute to winning games. I'd be happy if they just stopped ****ing them up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I get your point and no offense taken, at least not in my case. And actually, I agree with most of what you've written. The only part I disagree with is that Love has had "huge" improvements since last year. And that's subjective so two people can see it differently. The other point that's been made is that it took Favre and Rodgers more than a year to start to show their talent. And Davantae Adams took three years.

The comparison to Gary is a good one. Gary was a pretty raw talent with limited production at MI but almost unlimited upside. And that's coming true.

So there is plenty of precedent for guys getting drafted and then taking one or two years to develop. In fact, that's probably true of over 90% of the guys drafted. It's just my opinion that Love will not develop into a starting QB. That doesn't mean he shouldn't be given the chance, and he's getting it. I'd rather see him do well.
That’s fair. There’s quite a few fans that can’t differentiate not wanting the draft selection from that players success. I didn’t want a QB and that’s the truth.
However at this point the best thing for our team is for Love to continue to improve. It opens lots of possibilities, including recouping a better draft selection.

In a best case. Imagine winning a SB this season and then getting even a top 40 type draft pick back next season and adding to our Offense. There was a massive shortage at QB this draft, teams value that QB position and in a supply shortage it’s exponential. Struggling Teams thin at QB will easily part with an early 2nd rounder to have a couple candidates in house.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s fair. There’s quite a few fans that can’t differentiate not wanting the draft selection from that players success. I didn’t want a QB and that’s the truth.
However at this point the best thing for our team is for Love to continue to improve. It opens lots of possibilities, including recouping a better draft selection.

In a best case. Imagine winning a SB this season and then getting even a top 40 type draft pick back next season and adding to our Offense. There was a massive shortage at QB this draft, teams value that QB position and in a supply shortage it’s exponential. Struggling Teams thin at QB will easily part with an early 2nd rounder to have a couple candidates in house.
He's under contract, so let Love play backup this year and next, see what happens.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Gutekunst and LaFleur disagree with you....... but hey, what do they know?!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gutekunst and LaFleur disagree with you....... but hey, what do they know?!
Did those guys say Love has made "huge" improvement? That's good, as they would know best. I'll look for huge improvement in the rest of the PS games cause honestly I didn't see it Friday night. Hopefully Love can eliminate the INTs as well. And I know two weren't his fault. But they make no distinctions in the record books.

Reaction score
Did those guys say Love has made "huge" improvement? That's good, as they would know best. I'll look for huge improvement in the rest of the PS games cause honestly I didn't see it Friday night. Hopefully Love can eliminate the INTs as well. And I know two weren't his fault. But they make no distinctions in the record books.
Love does need to shake the INT monkey. It’s probably more perception, but PS might be all he has for live games. It’s time to open the throttle. I liked you idea of 3quarters actually. While it’s rare to see that because they are trying to analyze the other QB also, I’d test the kid and put him through fire and let’s get him some play momentum and get a good sample size. I personally don’t like small samples, it’s unfair, even from a scientific perspective. Although I’m not the Coach so there’s that :whistling:

PS. start Etling for 1 100 lap Quarter. Then give Love the keys to the Ferrari and let’s see him run the final 300 laps.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love does need to shake the INT monkey. It’s probably more perception, but PS might be all he has for live games. It’s time to open the throttle. I liked you idea of 3quarters actually. I’d test the kid and put him through fire. Give him some momentum.
Well yeah I mean given the limited chances he has, play him for three Qs and let him open the throttle as you say. I can live with INTs, especially in PS, as long as his other play is sound along with decision making. Give him his chance. I'd rather see him take calculated risks than sit back and play it safe. Hell, Favre made a HOF career out of playing that way! Although a lot of Favre's passes weren't calculated risks. More like - throw it up and see what happens. Nevermind. This is about Love, not Favre.

Reaction score
Well yeah I mean given the limited chances he has, play him for three Qs and let him open the throttle as you say. I can live with INTs, especially in PS, as long as his other play is sound along with decision making. Give him his chance. I'd rather see him take calculated risks than sit back and play it safe. Hell, Favre made a HOF career out of playing that way! Although a lot of Favre's passes weren't calculated risks. More like - throw it up and see what happens. Nevermind. This is about Love, not Favre.
Truthfully If he had a great 3 quarters. Id do it again in PS game 3, but let him be the game opener and Etling mop up.

If he crashes might be a good time um go back to 1/2 game. lol

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Truthfully If he had a great 3 quarters. Id do it again in PS game 3, but let him be the game opener and Etling mop up.

If he crashes might be a good time um go back to 1/2 game. lol
No I agree. Let love play for three quarters for the last two PS games. Etling will end up on the PS anyway so give him snaps in the 4Q. I like that approach, and the coaches should make clear to Love, he's not getting pulled at half. It's also a subtle confidence builder. I don't want Love thinking he's seriously competing with Etling, cause I don't think he is. Unless they think Etling is the next big thing (I sure as hell don't), the games belong to Love.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard Kuhn say that, but it doesn’t matter, the DB had the position before Love decided to throw the ball. That’s on him.

You have to see that and go to a different read. It’s not open and it’s not going to be.
Or take a sack.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love was a terrible pick",
Love is a terrible pick unless he shows us he's not a terrible pick. Don't forget Love was going against the Number twos of NO in practice. Love needs to not turn the ball over on Friday. Love must have some scoring drives.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Love is a terrible pick unless he shows us he's not a terrible pick. Don't forget Love was going against the Number twos of NO in practice. Love needs to not turn the ball over on Friday. Love must have some scoring drives.
He is typically teamed with #2's and 3's as well.

Speaking of, given that Rodgers hates playing in preseason games, if he isn't going to, I'd like to see Love play a Q with all the starters. Might give a better indication of where he's at.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Love is a terrible pick unless he shows us he's not a terrible pick.
Isn't that pretty much the case for anyone that's drafted? Sounds like you are just hedging on your initial statement that he sucked?

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see Love play a Q with all the starters. Might give a better indication of where he's at.
I would too. LaFleur doesn't like playing his starters in pre-season, though. I believe most O-line starters will get time with Love. None of the starting receivers or running backs will be out there. The young receivers need the reps and I think at least two of them have a higher ceiling than Lazard.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't that pretty much the case for anyone that's drafted? Sounds like you are just hedging on your initial statement that he sucked?
Not hedging. Just going by what I am seeing. So far, suck. I agree that most rookies suck, no matter what. However, it's time for Love to show he can be an NFL QB. I am a Packer fan first. I don't have some kind of agenda against Love, either. I really want Love to do well, it would be best for the team.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would too. LaFleur doesn't like playing his starters in pre-season, though. I believe most O-line starters will get time with Love. None of the starting receivers or running backs will be out there. The young receivers need the reps and I think at least two of them have a higher ceiling than Lazard.
They might have a higher ceiling than Lazard but right now compared to Lazard they suck.

D

Deleted member 6794

I honestly don't know but guess it was a combination of McCarthy and Clements being responsible for changing Rodgers' mechanics.

I don't think there will be a lot of teams interested in trading for an unproven quarterback who will be entering the last year of his rookie deal instead of selecting on in a draft in which the QB class seems to be extremely talented.

He is typically teamed with #2's and 3's as well.

Speaking of, given that Rodgers hates playing in preseason games, if he isn't going to, I'd like to see Love play a Q with all the starters. Might give a better indication of where he's at.

Love was playing behind the #1 offensive line for the entire first half vs. the Niners. I don't expect the starting receivers or running backs to play in preseason at all.

Reaction score
I don't think there will be a lot of teams interested in trading for an unproven quarterback who will be entering the last year of his rookie deal instead of selecting on in a draft in which the QB class seems to be extremely talented.
That’s why even preseason is ultra important. Every last player coming out of college is unproven. Teams spend 270 or so draft selections on unproven. The QB being by far the most important “unproven” long term investment. There’s only a handful of QBs available each draft that have Loves ceiling ability and there’s 32 teams always looking in some capacity

The only other possibility is you are insinuating that Love should he penalized for being trained for a few seasons by the best of the best. Don’t all QB’s go that route. The vast majority of Day 2 QB’s drafted.. do they start Day 1?? No. Is there a minor offset on contract term? Yes. But it’s an offset.

If our QB room was any better it would be a young Jeti being primed by #12 (Yoda) himself. The only difference is instead of swamp water it’s dirty snow! Don’t underestimate young Skywalker… ah great warrior.. Help you I will :ninja: (I’m exaggerating he’s not Luke)

As far as a trade. Teams would have 1 year on a Rookie deal to see what they’ve got. At $3.3M it’s like a $20 bill in this league. Worst case is he flops and they lose a top 100 draft pick. Player Misses happen to every team every year. Look at Amari! Look at Datone Jones! :cry: (ok ok that last part was totally uncalled for)

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s why even preseason is ultra important. How else is Love supposed to display his growth? Write a book? :tdown:

Every last player coming out of college is unproven. Teams spend 270 or so draft selections on unproven. The QB being by far the most important long term investment. There’s about a total of 5-10 QBs available that have Loves ability and there’s 32 teams always looking
Cap is right. The upcoming draft is loaded at the QB position. Even if Love plays lights-out in the next two games, it's unlikely he'll have much trade value. And IMO until he plays like a 1st round pick, there's not a lot of value in debating what he might become.

For now he's a solid backup to Rodgers. If he someday soon shows he's capable of more than that, it will be a pleasant surprise for all.

Members online

Latest posts