Packers visiting with TE Jermaine Gresham

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I said it monday..was hearing they really thought he could help

To mad Ariz got him

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

H

HardRightEdge

Postscript:

OTC estimates Gresham signed a one year deal for $3.1 mil including incentives, with $1 mil guaranteed.

As previously indicated, that exceeds Quarless' replacement cost.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Everything I hear out of camp, Richard Rodgers is looking impressive. But I guess the proof will be in the coming months during live action. I'm not too concerned about the TE position, more concerned about the other side of the ball.

D

Deleted member 6794

Everything I hear out of camp, Richard Rodgers is looking impressive. But I guess the proof will be in the coming months during live action. I'm not too concerned about the TE position, more concerned about the other side of the ball.

Even if Rodgers takes a significant step in his second season TE is the weakest position group on offense. There's no reason to be concerned because the Packers will be one of the highest scoring teams again in 2015 but another threat at tight end would be nice.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Agreed. With the starting 11 back from a very high powered offense, the best QB in the NFL and some promising depth, an average TE isn't much to worry about. This of course is barring any major injuries (QB especially).

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Even if Rodgers takes a significant step in his second season TE is the weakest position group on offense. There's no reason to be concerned because the Packers will be one of the highest scoring teams again in 2015 but another threat at tight end would be nice.
Regardless of any other stats, if Rodgers can present himself as a respectable red zone threat, good for 5 TDs lets say, that would be a big win. He doesn't have to be great...just Donald Lee-like decent.

Last edited by a moderator:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't always judge a players success by his stats. Like HRE says, if RR, or any Packers TE for that matter, finishes with middle of the road stats but does all that is asked of him (not many drops, catches passes in crunch time etc.) he will be a success. This is not an offense that needs a Gronkowski type TE. We don't need our TE to be a huge play maker we need him to be reliable.

I'm not saying that we couldn't use a Gronk type TE but of all the positions on the offense I'd take TE as the weak spot any day. You can't hide a weak QB. A weak running game limits your entire offense and a weak line will get your QB killed. Weak WRs can be minimized somewhat with an elite QB but a weak TE can be worked around much easier than any other position, especially with an elite QB, and top ranked WRs which we have.

If I have to be stuck with a mid level producer but a steady and reliable one at TE I can live with that.

H

HardRightEdge

You can't always judge a players success by his stats. Like HRE says, if RR, or any Packers TE for that matter, finishes with middle of the road stats but does all that is asked of him (not many drops, catches passes in crunch time etc.) he will be a success. This is not an offense that needs a Gronkowski type TE. We don't need our TE to be a huge play maker we need him to be reliable.

I'm not saying that we couldn't use a Gronk type TE but of all the positions on the offense I'd take TE as the weak spot any day. You can't hide a weak QB. A weak running game limits your entire offense and a weak line will get your QB killed. Weak WRs can be minimized somewhat with an elite QB but a weak TE can be worked around much easier than any other position, especially with an elite QB, and top ranked WRs which we have.

If I have to be stuck with a mid level producer but a steady and reliable one at TE I can live with that.
It comes down to how you want to define the character of your team within the constraints of the salary cap and the draft.

New England is TE and slot centric; their #2 wide out caught 12 balls last season. The Pats have not had a 1,000 yd. wide out since Moss in 2009.

Seattle is defense first, then run the ball and game manage the passing offense. They bet several acres of the farm on a TE, not a wide out, this offseason. The year before they let Golden Tate walk in FA. Before that, they bet a few other acres of the farm on Harvin, a slot receiver/utility knife.

Neither of those teams want to spend cap or picks on wide outs, perhaps unique in the league.

The Packers' foundational principles in the current era are winning (1) the QB-rating-differential and (2) the turnover differential, which are two sides of the same coin, a philosophy adapted to leverage the capabilities of the franchise QB. The offense is WR-centric, emphasizing downfield passing with two $10 mil per year WRs and some meaningful draft capital expended on the supporting cast. On defense, it's all about keeping the opposing QB at bay. It's no coincidence that 5 of the top 6 picks over the last 2 drafts have been WRs and DBs. Would an impact tight end be of use? Sure. But how are you going get one if the draft and cap priorities are elsewhere? And if you go out and buy one, is there enough ball to go around to have the investment pay off? Probably not. Modest but meaningful production out of the TE position out of a low cost crew would be a positive. Anything more would be a pleasant surprise, even to the coaches I suspect.

Thankfully, there is a recognition that winning in the two metrics noted above is not enough. But the TE position is not the deal breaker; the issues lie elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a thousand ways to Rome, just as there are many ways to win football games. We've seen strong defense win, strong offense win, teams win on special teams. Great QB's can make an offense great. A great RB and oline can make a decent QB and WR's be great. A great oline can help a mediocre QB and create an effective offense. A great QB can cover up for a poor oline and deficient running game. A Great defensive line can overcome weak linebackers or DB's, exceptional DB's can give a mediocre Dline time to look better at rushing the passer.

So what am I getting at? There are a thousand ways to Rome. Having an all pro at every position would be nice, but not possible, or very likely in today's game, but with the right pieces in certain places you can win. I think GB has all the pieces it needs to go all the way. There are a couple other teams that do to, though they might take a different road, exactly like HRE said

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a thousand ways to Rome, just as there are many ways to win football games. We've seen strong defense win, strong offense win, teams win on special teams. Great QB's can make an offense great. A great RB and oline can make a decent QB and WR's be great. A great oline can help a mediocre QB and create an effective offense. A great QB can cover up for a poor oline and deficient running game. A Great defensive line can overcome weak linebackers or DB's, exceptional DB's can give a mediocre Dline time to look better at rushing the passer.

So what am I getting at? There are a thousand ways to Rome. Having an all pro at every position would be nice, but not possible, or very likely in today's game, but with the right pieces in certain places you can win. I think GB has all the pieces it needs to go all the way. There are a couple other teams that do to, though they might take a different road, exactly like HRE said

They are talking about having the super bowl in Rome now? I haven't gotten used to the whole London thing and now they want to add Italy to the mix. Where will it all end?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are talking about having the super bowl in Rome now? I haven't gotten used to the whole London thing and now they want to add Italy to the mix. Where will it all end?
It is a lot to wrap your mind around I know, but if they could rebuild the coliseum for Gladiator, surely they can spruce it up a bit to host a Super Bowl :) Think of the BW3's options in that game, no turning on of the sprinklers, you could unleash real live tigers from the bowels of the stadium to push that game into overtime.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a lot to wrap your mind around I know, but if they could rebuild the coliseum for Gladiator, surely they can spruce it up a bit to host a Super Bowl :) Think of the BW3's options in that game, no turning on of the sprinklers, you could unleash real live tigers from the bowels of the stadium to push that game into overtime.

Could make for a very interesting half time show. It might be easier just to hold it at the coliseum in LA, hand out togas at the gate and figure out a way for the Bengals to play. Then again the coliseum in Rome may be in better condition.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

You need to get out more.....:roflmao:

H

HardRightEdge

It is a lot to wrap your mind around I know, but if they could rebuild the coliseum for Gladiator, surely they can spruce it up a bit to host a Super Bowl :)
I don't think they rebuilt the coliseum. But you raise and interesting concept...CGI-enhanced football! A seamless melding of flesh, blood and illusion!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they rebuilt the coliseum. But you raise and interesting concept...CGI-enhanced football! A seamless melding of flesh, blood and illusion!

They could name it after an ex head coach and announcer. Maybe **** Vermeil or Tony Dungy or that fat guy from the Raiders.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know, it was all tongue in cheek
Well it sure looked like they rebuilt it! The SB in Rome. The SB played anywhere except North America or Hawaii would be goofy. Unpatriotic! But fun! I wonder how many tickets the Pope would get. Those Cardinals or Bishops or whoever those cats are with the red pointy hats would have to take them off and replace with cheeseheads. That's the only way I'd be ok with it.