1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Packers visiting with TE Jermaine Gresham

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Jul 23, 2015.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
  2. vince

vince Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +23
    Ooh I like the sound of that.

Since it got to the press though, it's probably from Gresham's agent. If it was serious I don't think the agent (or GB) would be leaking info if not to get another team to make an offer. Ted don't play that game.

At the same time though, if Quarless is looking at a lengthy suspension, they're going to need to add someone at minimum to protect against Rodgers getting injured as well.

3. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +845
    The press almost always knows when a player goes somewhere for a visit, especially when free agent being watched like a hawk the week before TC starts.

4. vince

vince Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +23
    Not always especially if there’s serious interest but yeah I guess I should read the article. The herniated disc surgery is concerning obviously so he may not even get past medical.

5. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,484
    I seem to recall a mo made a fast nite of that on shout box

No one listens lol

6. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    So he'll be a Viking by Monday?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +568
    I'm going to bet he doesn't get past the physical, but he would definitely be worth a look.
    The Packers could certainly use a tight end that can block as well as catch.

8. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,655
    If Gresham is able to pass a physical he would be an intriguing player for the Packers to sign.

9. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    Gresham is a typical Ted Thompson signing. Late in the off season and a signing in which we wont lose any comp picks. If he passes his physical, or at the very least, shows that he'll be able to play and be effective this season, we'll sign him.

10. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Adding a veteran TE makes sense, unlike adding a vet WR... If he passes the physical, it'll come down to money and perhaps Gresham's desire to win a ring - for example if the choice comes down to the Packers and the Raiders.

11. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +525
    This is highly unlikely based on what I've heard about how we deal with injuries. I love that we're bringing him in though to at least give him a look. Shows we aren't satisfied with what we have, that makes me happy.

12. jetfixer

jetfixer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +31
    If he is healthy enough to start the season it would be a nice signing. If we do sign him and Quarless is gone for much time( which he deserves) can we cut AQ while on suspension?

13. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,655
    Of course the Packers could release Quarless at any point during a suspension.

14. Snoops

Snoops Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +59
    I like the idea he is still young which Thompson likes he is athletic only concern is gonna be his injury.. Take him on the cheap cuz Thompson is gonna pitch look this is ur best chance to win and our te spot is thin I like the idea of Gresham and Rogers's vs Gresham and Q but still we would have to see him play

15. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,655
  16. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Yes they could and it would only cost them $175K in dead cap space. (According to rotoworld he signed a 2-year deal last off season with a $350K signing bonus. He’s due $1.3M this season with a $200K roster bonus plus a $75K workout bonus.) But my guess is they’ll hang onto him because they lack depth at the position and they have to overcome two hurdles to sign Gresham: 1) His health, and 2) If he is healthy, they’ll have to compete with other teams to get him signed.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  17. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,655
    FWIW Quarless got a $75,000 workout bonus which would count towards the cap if he would be released as well. I agree that the Packers will probably hold on to him, adding a healthy Gresham would be an upgrade to the position though.

18. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +2,947
    I think there is definitely some untapped potential in Gresham and we might see it from a player who has been "trapped" in Cincinnati his entire career. Biggest question mark in my mind and probably most teams is his health. Recent surgery on a herniated disc may put him behind the curve on being ready for the season.

19. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,747
    Well, if he passes physicals and shows he'll be able to play and be effective this season, there will be competitive bidding.

Arizona, New Orleans, Oakland, Chicago are reported possibilities.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000503405/article/jermaine-gresham-visiting-green-bay-packers

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  20. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,747
    Assuming Quarless earned the workout bonus, the cap savings in releasing him would be $1.5 million. If Gresham is healthy enough to play, he'll command more than that. This is a 2-time Pro Bowler. He can actually block, an endangered skill with all these "joker" TEs proliferating in the NFL.

In keeping with a recent Packer theme, he was a very good HS basketball player.

Quarless' cap savings would go some way in helping, but a bite would be taken out of the cap carryover.

Though we'll never know the answer, I project that Thompson will offer exactly $1.5 mil in a one year contract assuming the medicals are clean. ;)

21. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,655
    The Packers could add the $430,000 in cap space they'll save because of Guion's and Jones' suspension to an offer for Gresham. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Half Empty

Half Empty Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +670
    Obviously not important in the grand scheme, but won't they be paying two other players something?

23. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,747
    Right! The replacements will cost presumably rookie minimum salaries prorated over 17 weeks = $436,000 / 17 = $25,647.06 per game x 4 games = $102,588.24

So, I predict Thompson will offer Gresham precisely $1,840,411.76! I think I keyed that right in the calculator. ;)

24. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,655
    Geez, I'm disappointed both of you thought that I forgot about that. ;) Of course the $430,000 cap savings already includes the money for replacement players.

25. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,747
    That could not possibly be right. What happened to the $2,588.24! That's one high end wheel for the Escalade! ;)

• Funny Funny x 1