Packers to sign Za'darius Smith

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm guessing we are going to see a lot of packages on 3rd down with two edge rushers and Za'Darius inside.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
that could **** him off though. don't know that i'd want them to do that. they need to find a way if he has another good year.
I could be wrong, but I don't think the 5th year option is as poorly perceived as a Franchise tag.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see Kenny Clark being the type to get pissed off and having it affect anything he does for this team. and outside of crazy things I don't want to see happen to a young ascending star in this league, I don't see the Packers wanting to let it get to that either without them being very clear it's time for negotiating purposes only for an extension. Kenny is proving himself to be a player to invest in

H

HardRightEdge

I'm guessing we are going to see a lot of packages on 3rd down with two edge rushers and Za'Darius inside.
That would be expected, the frequency of which to be determined.

3-4 edge players fall roughly into three groups, illustrated by some Packer examples.

1. Bigger/stronger who can move inside in nickel/dime (e.g., Peppers)
2. Smaller/quicker who attack with speed and technique (e.g., Matthews once upon a time).
3. Tweeers (e.g., a healthy Perry or the current, bigger version of Fackrell), who have good size to hold the edge on the strong side but not quite the combination of traits that could move him inside in nickel/dime.

Categories 2. and 3. are commonly found at 4-3 DE.

None of this is particularly revelatory.

Z. Smith fits category 1. I liked Rashan Gary as a fit in this category, but that was chilled a bit when you noted he was starting his own agency. With Z. Smith on board, I withdrawl that choice. It goes to show how mock drafting is somewhat futile until the FA signings come in as noted previously. It was an old habit from the Thompson days when nothing was expected to happen this time of year.

Last edited by a moderator:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smith's body type and how he plays reminds me a lot of Trey Flowers. Capable edge rusher at his best when moved inside on 3rd down. Very versatile.

Can't wait to see what Pettine schemes up for 3rd downs.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me first say I'm obviously rooting for this to work, but this is the type of move that makes me question is Gute qualified for the job he has? 18.5 sacks in 4 years and we're paying this guy $16 mil annually for 4? Joe Johnson deal may have nothing on this deal. This looks to be Nick Perry bad deal.

I found out the Amos deal first and I was psyched, but after hearing about this contract I can't help but think this GM may be in over his head. I thought Preston Smith was a great signing as well, but he made this move and the Jimmy Graham move just to remove the perception that we're cheap. These moves aren't best for the organization, they will just hush the lowest common denominator media/fans for a few months.

If this deal turns out to work out I will gladly call myself an idiot on here, but I see about a 0.5% chance of that happening. An F- Grade

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Let me first say I'm obviously rooting for this to work, but this is the type of move that makes me question is Gute qualified for the job he has? 18.5 sacks in 4 years and we're paying this guy $16 mil annually for 4? Joe Johnson deal may have nothing on this deal. This looks to be Nick Perry bad deal.

I found out the Amos deal first and I was psyched, but after hearing about this contract I can't help but think this GM may be in over his head. I thought Preston Smith was a great signing as well, but he made this move and the Jimmy Graham move just to remove the perception that we're cheap. These moves aren't best for the organization, they will just hush the lowest common denominator media/fans for a few months.

If this deal turns out to work out I will gladly call myself an idiot on here, but I see about a 0.5% chance of that happening. An F- Grade

I can slightly understand your skepticism, but an F- grade? Come on man!

I assume you are mainly disappointed in Z Smith? I might agree with you that the money might sound a bit high, but I think they are paying close to market and a bit more for what is perceived to be a flexible player who is on the upswing of his career.

LoafInIowa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pleasantly surprised by all of the moves today. Especially liking the Z'Darius move, to get us an all around terrorizer, that will make our interior push even stronger.

I am good with the Pack staying put now & using the draft to plug the other holes on offense.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

It's a huge deal, no doubt, but it also seems to be the market rate if you want pass rushers. Trey Flowers is getting 18/season. Flowers and Smith aren't really that different as players.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that's true everybody should be happy by now as the Packers significantly overpaid for a free agent as well.
Green Bay is the type of team that has to overpay to bring in free agents. Why would anyone want to come to Green Bay otherwise? If not for Rodgers no one would even think of playing here.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Green Bay is the type of team that has to overpay to bring in free agents. Why would anyone want to come to Green Bay otherwise? If not for Rodgers no one would even think of playing here.
I think that theory has been debunked several times. May have started with Reggie and has continued to gain steam.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can slightly understand your skepticism, but an F- grade? Come on man!

I assume you are mainly disappointed in Z Smith? I might agree with you that the money might sound a bit high, but I think they are paying close to market and a bit more for what is perceived to be a flexible player who is on the upswing of his career.

What I do like is the Ravens defense is similar to what Pettine wants to do so it should be a fairly easy transition with our scheme. He also can play in a few different spots on the defense, but last year was his best season by quite a bit. I'm not saying he is going to pack it in (no pun intended) because he got a deal but I very very strongly believe the money could have been much better spent elsewhere especially with his $ value being so much higher than it has at any point in his career.

I hope I'm here at this time next year and say I was totally wrong, just don't see it happening.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that theory has been debunked several times. May have started with Reggie and has continued to gain steam.
Like I said, it's the Rodgers Effect. And Favre before him. I distinctly remember Reggie's presser after he signed saying he believed Favre was the QB to take the team to the promised land. Also remember That Woodson initially didn't want to be here either but no one else offered him a contract except Tampa Bay and they wanted him to play safety so he said nuts to that.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sacks aren't the only thing that determine production. As a part time player, he had 61 pressures last year, which was 19th best among edge rushers.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a huge deal, no doubt, but it also seems to be the market rate if you want pass rushers. Trey Flowers is getting 18/season. Flowers and Smith aren't really that different as players.

Correct but one team's overspending doesn't have to turn into our organization's overspending. Example: Landon Collins and Adrian Amos

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sacks aren't the only thing that determine production. As a part time player, he had 61 pressures last year, which was 19th best among edge rushers.

Agreed, but looking at his 4 year career it seems like he was so much better his contract year than any other year by a wide margin. The $ value is maybe 5 times (?) as high as it would have been at this time last year for him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What I do like is the Ravens defense is similar to what Pettine wants to do so it should be a fairly easy transition with our scheme. He also can play in a few different spots on the defense, but last year was his best season by quite a bit. I'm not saying he is going to pack it in (no pun intended) because he got a deal but I very very strongly believe the money could have been much better spent elsewhere especially with his $ value being so much higher than it has at any point in his career.

I hope I'm here at this time next year and say I was totally wrong, just don't see it happening.

I think you can have that feeling with just about any big contract player now. I mean lets face it, the guaranteed money sets most of them up for life. So I stopped worrying about it and rely on Gute, the coaches/scouts to decide if said player is in it for the long haul. Obviously, TT missed on Mo Bennett.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you can have that feeling with just about any big contract player now. I mean lets face it, the guaranteed money sets most of them up for life. So I stopped worrying about it and rely on Gute, the coaches/scouts to decide if said player is in it for the long haul. Obviously, TT missed on Mo Bennett.

Guaranteed money is a scary thing no doubt but I just much prefer to give it to a guy that has shown more consistency before his contract year. I'm still doing some reading on Billy Turner but I desperately want Rodger Saffold and would overpay for him if he wants to come here. Money just could have been much better spent IMO

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Like I said, it's the Rodgers Effect. And Favre before him. I distinctly remember Reggie's presser after he signed saying he believed Favre was the QB to take the team to the promised land. Also remember That Woodson initially didn't want to be here either but no one else offered him a contract except Tampa Bay and they wanted him to play safety so he said nuts to that.

Maybe its just lip service, but it seems like a lot of Packer players, current and ex, talk about how wonderful Green Bay and the people are. Plus, I think many players view whatever city they play in as a temporary spot and because of how much money they make, have their permanent homes elsewhere.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Correct but one team's overspending doesn't have to turn into our organization's overspending. Example: Landon Collins and Adrian Amos

You're totally right about that. My only point is that this "overpay" is going to feel especially egregious right at the moment because the market is being reset and we aren't used to the new figures yet. It's a huge deal, no doubt. But like any new deal, those that follow will put it in perspective.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Guaranteed money is a scary thing no doubt but I just much prefer to give it to a guy that has shown more consistency before his contract year. I'm still doing some reading on Billy Turner but I desperately want Rodger Saffold and would overpay for him if he wants to come here. Money just could have been much better spent IMO

I think the ship sailed on Rodger Saffold. He was listed as the #1 FA G and I have a feeling his ask was just that. I like the Turner signing. Didn't break the bank and got a guy that can play multiple positions.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 22m22 minutes ago
#Rams OL Roger Saffold, who was spotted in the facility saying goodbye to teammates, is signing a 4-year, $44M deal with the #Titans, source said. He gets $22.5M in guarantees. Obviously, the physical will be important (as we learned a few years ago).

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

When you pick one stat as your main criteria a lot of moves are going to look bad. There is more to being successful than sacks. Do you want a guy that gets 16 sacks a year (1 per game) and not much else or a guy that gets a sack every other game and is constantly disrupting plays in other ways. I'll take the second guy in a heartbeat.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you pick one stat as your main criteria a lot of moves are going to look bad. There is more to being successful than sacks. Do you want a guy that gets 16 sacks a year (1 per game) and not much else or a guy that gets a sack every other game and is constantly disrupting plays in other ways. I'll take the second guy in a heartbeat.

I should have put what I have been saying in this thread all in one post so let me clarify....

At this time last year, his value was probably 5 times less because of the year he had last year. With the money we are paying him, it seems like we are only paying for the type of player we saw last year, not the type of player he was for the other 3 years as well. Yeah your point is correct about sacks. I only used that one example to make my point and should have added more of my thoughts.

I get that the market is going up for players, but just because one team overspends doesn't mean we have to as well (example Landon Collins and Adrian Amos). I'm not saying he is a crappy player, but for what he is about to get paid he is nowhere near worth it IMO. In some ways it seemed similar to the Perry extension.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, but looking at his 4 year career it seems like he was so much better his contract year than any other year by a wide margin. The $ value is maybe 5 times (?) as high as it would have been at this time last year for him.

Fair enough but if I recall correctly we were trying to get him before so there is obviously something there someone likes...a lot. It's not like Gute saw a big year and decided to throw a bunch of money at him. He obviously had his eye on him and was seeing the same steady improvement that others saw that had him ranked as a top 20 FA on some boards.

We "signed" 4 guys today. Odds that all 4 work out are not good. Smith might be one that doesn't or it might be Smith or Amos or Turner.

Members online

Latest posts