Packers to sign DT Jarran Reed

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only realistic chance of a “late round” gem is that #171 selection.
I definitely don’t expect a late 7th Round OL any significant help in 2022.

We saw last season how quickly things spiral downwards with just a few injuries across OL.
Protecting #12 is numero uno. Nothing else matters if he goes down…
Conversely, If GB were to somehow hit at 1 more Elgton universal OL type? We’d be lethal if Bak, Jenkins and Myers were all healthy.

I’d be considering OL starting at #28 and keying on it by #92. Anything past our #140 is not expecting any meaningful contributions this season
True but finding a "universal OL" type like Jenkins is almost impossible.

Could we find a possible elite OT, OG or C at 28? Probably, but one that could play ALL the positions will be near impossible

Also, I am fine with Runyan, Newman and Nijman rounding out the OL

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think pickings are going to be any slimmer after the draft than they are now. everyone left has some pretty big money, durability, and gas left in the tank concerns. We'll likely have the same type offerings after the draft and into TC as older guys get cut. unless one of these top guys wants a cheap deal, i'm fine waiting.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will need to invest some serious resources to upgrade the wide receiver position before the start of the season anyway. If they're able to work out a decent trade for a WR who will contribute immediately I would definitely be fine with giving up fair compensation for him.

You need to realize that the pickings are slimmer after the draft though.

While that's true the Packers didn't have enough cap space to match any of the deals wide receivers agreed to up until now.

I'm not convinced the Jaguars are ready to move on from Shenault. He could still end up as the #3 wide receiver on their depth chart.

Shenault was drafted in the second round (42nd overall) of the 2020 draft.

Fortunately Rodgers is able to elevate the performance of the offensive line while protecting himself better than any rookie would be possible of.

There's no way the Jags receive a first rounder for Shenault in a trade.

There's no doubt Bakhtiari suffered multiple setbacks last season. Hopefully another offseason will result in him being fully healthy in September.
Unfortunately, as far as trading for a veteran WR, the Packers are negotiating from a place of weakness. Every GM in the league knows they need help with the WR group. It will be hard for Gluten to get a "fair trade". I don't think it will be terribly one sided, but he may have to throw in a 4th or even 3rd round pick that he ordinarily wouldn't include. Just basic negotiating.

So the good news is that they have extra draft capital this year, 11 picks in total I think. I'm confident he'll work out a deal.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly given the amount of draft capital it seems to have to take to get a WR these days I'm more inclined to not try and get a clear best WR in a trade with our draft equity. It is past time to sign AJ Green or Julio Jones...go into the draft and depending how it goes circle back with isolated style WRs like Ross or DeSean Jackson on one year deals.

D

Deleted member 6794

Also, I am fine with Runyan, Newman and Nijman rounding out the OL

The Packers definitely need to add depth on the offensive line before the start of the season.

Yes, but also if we get two 1/2 really good rookies; we could spend the money on a different position imho.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with the Packers entering the season with only one or two rookies being added to the receiving corps. Especially as there's no way of telling if one of them will be really good before the season starts.

Unfortunately, as far as trading for a veteran WR, the Packers are negotiating from a place of weakness. Every GM in the league knows they need help with the WR group. It will be hard for Gluten to get a "fair trade". I don't think it will be terribly one sided, but he may have to throw in a 4th or even 3rd round pick that he ordinarily wouldn't include. Just basic negotiating.

So the good news is that they have extra draft capital this year, 11 picks in total I think. I'm confident he'll work out a deal.

I don't think that's necessarily true as long as the Packers find a team shopping one of their receivers for whatever reason.

Honestly given the amount of draft capital it seems to have to take to get a WR these days I'm more inclined to not try and get a clear best WR in a trade with our draft equity. It is past time to sign AJ Green or Julio Jones...go into the draft and depending how it goes circle back with isolated style WRs like Ross or DeSean Jackson on one year deals.

I would be disappointed if the Packers enter the season with only either Ross or Jackson added as a veteran.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be disappointed if the Packers enter the season with only either Ross or Jackson added as a veteran.

As would most, however as I laid out that scenario only most likely happens when you draft two highly favored rookies in the draft to add to already there Lazard and Cobb (bonus Amari).

I've slammed the bell for Julio and Green, however discussing potential other routes which might have to be the ONLY ones available is a viable discussion to have.

D

Deleted member 6794

As would most, however as I laid out that scenario only most likely happens when you draft two highly favored rookies in the draft to add to already there Lazard and Cobb (bonus Amari).

The Packers won't have any idea if those two highly regarded rookies work out as planned before the start of the season though. Therefore I would definitely prefer to add a more talented veteran than Ross or Jackson as well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers won't have any idea if those two highly regarded rookies work out as planned before the start of the season though. Therefore I would definitely prefer to add a more talented veteran than Ross or Jackson as well.

Of course, as would I, and wouldn't claim otherwise. However, IF you cannot get Green or Julio signed and you draft two draft picks before Day 3 of the draft....signing a veteran that can offer a skillset like deep threat as Ross or Jackson would still hold value over not signing another FA at all.

D

Deleted member 6794

Of course, as would I, and wouldn't claim otherwise. However, IF you cannot get Green or Julio signed and you draft two draft picks before Day 3 of the draft....signing a veteran that can offer a skillset like deep threat as Ross or Jackson would still hold value over not signing another FA at all.

While I agree it would be better than not signing a veteran at all I wouldn't consider it good enough.

Latest posts