Packers to sign DT Jarran Reed

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Reed is 29, he played the first 5 seasons of his career with Seattle after being their 2nd round draft pick (49th overall out of Alabama).

He developed into a strong interior pass rusher with the Seahawks, which peaked in a 10.5 sack season in 2018.

He spent last season with the Chiefs and contributed 2.5 sacks and 12 QB hits.

He offers position flexibility along the interior of the defensive line-- quality veteran depth.

The upshot of this move is that the Packers are keeping themselves out of a position where they have to leave the first round with a player at a particular spot.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good player; I will always have trouble celebrating guys who have the kind of history Reed does.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The off field stuff aside for a moment.

Clark
Lowry
Reed
Slaton
Rookie
Heflin (maybe)

That will be a good group.

With Smith and Gary and probably a high end rookie edge behind it, along with Campbell and Barnes… in front of a fantastic secondary.

This team really ought to field one of the best defenses in the entire league.

Reaction score

Clark
Lowry
Reed
Slaton
Rookie
Heflin (maybe)

With Smith and Gary and probably a high end rookie edge behind it, along with Campbell and Barnes… in front of a fantastic secondary.

Terrific. Very interesting twist.
1. First of all Reed was selected the next guy after we packaged to grab Jason Spriggs in the middle of the 2nd round, 2016 draft.
2. In 2016 Walter and several other Mocks had Reed projected at #23 overall (or a later Day 1 selection), but Jarron slid to #49 overall.
In 2016, Walter had Kenny Clark projected at #44 overall; just after the projection of OT, Jason Spriggs #43 overall. Spriggs was eventually selected by GB at #48 overall.

3. It was Clark that the Packers drafted first at #27 overall, even though many draft scouts had Clark rated slightly lower (mid 2nd) than Reed (later 1st) These 2 DT actual final draft placing was almost the exact inverse of their ranking and projections.

We obviously chose a DT who was the closest resemblance to Jarron Reed with our #27 overall (Clark) I’m willing to bet that Gutey n Co had done thorough homework on Jarron Reed.

In a unique occurrence, We not only got both for 2022, but we have both fully trained up. Excluding his 2016 Rookie season, Reed has only missed 7 of 81 possible regular season contests over 5 seasons; Reed played 33 of the last 33 regular season games, so he’s very reliable.

Last edited:

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Reed's size honestly. His production has been above average to good and he's still in his prime....

I would have liked one of the ex Bears guys honestly lol. But this isn't a bad signing

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Terrific. Very interesting twist.
1. First of all Reed was selected the next guy after we packaged to grab Jason Spriggs in the middle of the 2nd round, 2016 draft.
2. In 2016 Walter and several other Mocks had Reed projected at #23 overall (or a later Day 1 selection), but Jarron slid to #49 overall.
In 2016, Walter had Kenny Clark projected at #44 overall; just after the projection of OT, Jason Spriggs #43 overall. Spriggs was eventually selected by GB at #48 overall.

3. It was Clark that the Packers drafted first at #27 overall, even though many draft scouts had Clark rated slightly lower (mid 2nd) than Reed (later 1st) These 2 DT actual final draft placing was almost the exact inverse of their ranking and projections.

We obviously chose a DT who was the closest resemblance to Jarron Reed with our #27 overall (Clark) I’m willing to bet that Gutey n Co had done thorough homework on Jarron Reed.

In a unique occurrence, We not only got both for 2022, but we have both fully trained up. Excluding his 2016 Rookie season, Reed has only missed 7 of 81 possible regular season contests over 5 seasons; Reed played 33 of the last 33 regular season games, so he’s very reliable.

Yeah I like his size and above average to good production. It shows he's not just a "big body"

It will be great to see him with Clark on 2 DL looks

Also he's still in his prime years. I can see passing on Hicks, Calais, etc for those reasons

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Luke warm on this guy. I don’t see him as anything more than a rotational player at the position. Honesty I think Lowry is better and I’m not high on Lowry at all.

With Slaton and Heflin in the mix as well not sure how I feel. I don’t see how this provides much value outside of depth I already felt was sufficient.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Luke warm on this guy. I don’t see him as anything more than a rotational player at the position. Honesty I think Lowry is better and I’m not high on Lowry at all.

With Slaton and Heflin in the mix as well not sure how I feel. I don’t see how this provides much value outside of depth I already felt was sufficient.

Hang on...so from a 2021 line up in the trenches that saw:

Clark - 782 snaps (72.4%)
Lowry - 674 snaps (62.4%)
Keke - 393 snaps (36%)
Lancaster - 319 snaps (29.56%)
Slaton - 255 snaps (23.63%)
Anderson - 49 snaps (4.5%)
Heflin - 17 snaps (1.5%)

Before Reed was now:

Clark - 782 snaps (72.4%)
Lowry - 674 snaps (62.4%)

Slaton - 255 snaps (23.63%)

Heflin - 17 snaps (1.5%)

He is much needed and now makes DL a lot less pressing in this draft (I'm still most likely willing to take one in the first if the right one personally, but you sure you were okay with those four guys?

FTR I know you won’t respond, it’s what you do.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

The upshot of this move is that the Packers are keeping themselves out of a position where they have to leave the first round with a player at a particular spot.

In my opinion the Packers absolutely need to select a wide receiver in the first round. That might change until the draft though.

Both teams Reed has played for definitely considered him a starter with him playing 60-78% of the snaps in each season since his rookie year. I consider him an upgrade over everyone aside of Clark on the defensive line.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 89 career games, Reed has 24.5 sacks, 123 solo tackles and 114 assists. He averages .28 sacks per game and 2.66 tackles. Lowry in 96 games has 15 sacks, 116 solo tackles and 93 assists. He averages .16 sacks per game and 2.17 tackles. Reed gets to the passer at nearly double the rate of Lowry and he also gets more tackles per game indicating he has better lateral mobility down the line of scrimage than Lowry. Reed is for sure a big upgrade over Lowry as a pass rusher and is probably an upgrade against the run as well.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 89 career games Kenny Clark has 22.5 sacks and 167 solo tackles and 116 assists. Aside from the solo tackkes that tell me Clark has a better burst to get into the backfield, Reed and Clark's production are very similar. Acquiring Reed is a big deal in my opinion. For an IDL, Reed can get after the qb.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It is natural to be lukewarm because we never know how free agents will turn out. In years past we never got but a few. But in the last few years we are seeing more of it. Were we not all a little lukewarm when Campbell, Douglas, and Mercilus joined our ranks. It is not like we just stole them. I do not expect every pick up to be a big hit. But so far Gute has done very well in the short term. Heck, even when he signed David Moore for one game as a kick returner against Minnesota he looked better than anyone we had back there all season.

Reaction score
In 89 career games, Reed has 24.5 sacks, 123 solo tackles and 114 assists. He averages .28 sacks per game and 2.66 tackles. Lowry in 96 games has 15 sacks, 116 solo tackles and 93 assists. He averages .16 sacks per game and 2.17 tackles. Reed gets to the passer at nearly double the rate of Lowry and he also gets more tackles per game indicating he has better lateral mobility down the line of scrimage than Lowry. Reed is for sure a big upgrade over Lowry as a pass rusher and is probably an upgrade against the run as well.
We can see in his film breakdown of how aware Reed is. He was playing off the left edge and when the QB took his first step to bounce outside Reed literally started his spin move within .25 sec and met the QB 5 yards in the backfield. Who threw it like a wild duck into the stands as he was falling backwards. His mental reaction time is very good and that was noticeable on several running plays.

In another scenario, He met a pulling OG who never saw him coming and tossed him into the Runner for a -1. He turned that Guard into friendly fire on his own man. That showed me his short range quickness and raw power is in a “very good” category.

Reed just pushed Lowry and Slaton down the depth chart. That internal competition improves that entire group. Also Reed can play 3 downs effectively. Slaton is a 2 down guy and Lowry can play 3 downs, but would be more effective if he’s given a few less snaps per quarter.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

FYI the Packers signed Reed to a one-year, $3.25 million contract. He could earn another $1.25 million in incentives. The deal included a $1.865 million signing bonus. The team added a total of four void years to reduce his cap hit to $1.75 million in 2022.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Clark
Lowry
Reed
Slaton
Rookie
Heflin (maybe)

And here I look at that group as being very, very pedestrian outside of Clark.

I'm hoping for Devonte Wyatt at 22.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
And here I look at that group as being very, very pedestrian outside of Clark.

I'm hoping for Devonte Wyatt at 22.

Yes, if you were to take away the best player on the unit and only consider them without him, it would not be as good.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, if you were to take away the best player on the unit and only consider them without him, it would not be as good.
One guy does not make a line... which is why I'm eyeing Wyatt at pick 22.

We definitely need an infusion of talent up front. Not just the line, we need another edge as well.

I like Garvin, but he's not going to ascend to pro bowl level. Samething with Ramsey.

I'd like to see 2 of those first 4 picks go for defensive front players.

Wyatt at 22, and Drake Jackson at 58??

If Wyatt is gone, I don't really like any of the other DL in the 2nd round, unless someone like Hall falls.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts