Packers sign OLB Lerentee McCray

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

McCray spend the last three season with the Broncos, totaling has 21 tackles, 1½ sacks and a forced fumble in 24 regular-season games. He went undrafted out of Florida and missed his tookie season because of an ankle injury. Last season he played a total of 112 snaps on defense for the Super Bowl champions.

Because the Broncos didn't tender him he won't count against the compensatory pick formula.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw. Looks like TT is bolstering positions. I don't know if this is just a depth/camp body move, or them actually trying to address needs before the draft itself.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say more than a camp body. He was on Denver's squad for 3-4 solid seasons. He actually got a quite a bit of spot duty on their regular defense too.

I'd say this is a depth signing with an eye pointed toward ST and perhaps even potential.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Just saw. Looks like TT is bolstering positions. I don't know if this is just a depth/camp body move, or them actually trying to address needs before the draft itself.

With him having been in the league for three years I expect him to at least be able to compete for a roster spot.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This could be one of those "sneaky" good types of signings. McCray wasn't ever going to get much play time in Denver regardless. Not with Von Miller, DWare and Shane Ray there.

I don't have any expectations for this player, but something tells me hes better than his depth chart listing while in Denver.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/lerentee-mccray?id=2539662

here is his draft profile.

STRENGTHS
Versatile defender who rushes the passer from either side of the line, with his hand down or standing up. Solid get-off from a hand-down position, can stay low and has excellent flexibility to turn the corner, length to wrap up quarterbacks and separate the ball on impact. Also wins B-gap by coming off low and strong. Uses his length to get leverage when bull-rushing or facing double teams on the edge despite his slight build. Powerful hands that result in a jolt on contact. Works hard through blocks to reach the quarterback if the ball stays in the pocket. Hustles to chase plays across the line and downfield. Stays on his feet through cut blocks, uses his hands to keep balance. Agile enough to drop into a zone. Shows hands for the easy interception.
WEAKNESSES
Has an injury history, also rotated out of games regularly; must prove stamina to be an every-down player. Lean defender who can be knocked off his path as a pass rusher by a strong punch. Relies on outside rush too often, needs counter moves to take advantage of inside lane. Struggles to get off blocks when leaning into his man on the edge. Must prove he has the agility and bend to move with receivers outside in coverage.
--------------

This player is a high character guy. Hes very religious apparently (from what I have been reading about him) - Yeah, this is a typical TT move if I ever seen one.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This could be one of those "sneaky" good types of signings. McCray wasn't ever going to get much play time in Denver regardless. Not with Von Miller, DWare and Shane Ray there.

I don't have any expectations for this player, but something tells me hes better than his depth chart listing while in Denver.

Was going to basically say the same thing, until I saw your post :D How much playing time are you going to get on a Super Bowl winning team when Von Miller, DeMarcus Ware and #23 pick Shane Ray are on the depth chart ahead of you? I doubt it cost the Packers much to sign him and with Julius Peppers career winding down, who better to learn from. Could turn out to be a nice pick-up, IMO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/lerentee-mccray?id=2539662

here is his draft profile.

STRENGTHS
Versatile defender who rushes the passer from either side of the line, with his hand down or standing up. Solid get-off from a hand-down position, can stay low and has excellent flexibility to turn the corner, length to wrap up quarterbacks and separate the ball on impact. Also wins B-gap by coming off low and strong. Uses his length to get leverage when bull-rushing or facing double teams on the edge despite his slight build. Powerful hands that result in a jolt on contact. Works hard through blocks to reach the quarterback if the ball stays in the pocket. Hustles to chase plays across the line and downfield. Stays on his feet through cut blocks, uses his hands to keep balance. Agile enough to drop into a zone. Shows hands for the easy interception.
WEAKNESSES
Has an injury history, also rotated out of games regularly; must prove stamina to be an every-down player. Lean defender who can be knocked off his path as a pass rusher by a strong punch. Relies on outside rush too often, needs counter moves to take advantage of inside lane. Struggles to get off blocks when leaning into his man on the edge. Must prove he has the agility and bend to move with receivers outside in coverage.

It´s tough to make a reasonable evaluation based on limited snaps during his tenure with the Broncos but it seems that he struggles rushing the passer against NFL tackles but excels in defending the run.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I had a similar thought. There doesn't appear to be a great deal of interest in Neal, from Green Bay or anyone else.

Neal mostly struggling when rushing the passer and him being linked to a clinic that provides HGH probably doesn´t help his case.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is easy to say he was attempting to crest the hill to playing time in Denver which was impossible...no way of telling but he has a much more of a chance here than there to see playing time. Fact that he has made the 53 man in a good Defensive team means he will most likely battle for a spot easily, hopefully help on D and be a fill in candidate. Like this signing.

H

HardRightEdge

Interesting signing. Adds ST depth for sure. I wonder what this means for Neal?
I had already considered Neal's departure a foregone conclusion. If Perry's 1 year/$5 mil contract wasn't convincing enough, the cap constraints surely would be. The only way Neal will be back is if he draws zero interest after the draft and is willing to come back for something close to the minimum.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Neal...being linked to a clinic that provides HGH probably doesn´t help his case.
I had not heard that before, but it surprises me not in the least. After getting suspended for performance enhancing drugs and then reappearing 20 lbs. lighter caused me to dub him at the time the "incredible shrinking Neal".

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I had already considered Neal's departure a foregone conclusion. If Perry's 1 year/$5 mil contract wasn't convincing enough, the cap constraints surely would be. The only way Neal will be back is if he draws zero interest after the draft and is willing to come back for something close to the minimum.

Even if Neal would agree to a deal close to the veteran minimum I don´t see the Packers being interested in re-signing him.

H

HardRightEdge

It´s tough to make a reasonable evaluation based on limited snaps during his tenure with the Broncos but it seems that he struggles rushing the passer against NFL tackles but excels in defending the run.
Well then, maybe he's an ILB conversion candidate. ;)

I think there's some getting ahead of ourselves with this guy. Since FA signings are so rare there's a tendency to project something that may not be there.

If it's a one year contract he'll be fighting to stay in the league with 1/2 the guys on the 90 man roster. If it's a 2 year deal with some kind of signing bonus the intent might be marginally more serious.

Recall the signings of Muir and that other vet D-Lineman (whose name escapes me at the moment) a few years back. I seem to recall those guys were brought in at something in the neighborhood of $800,000 on one year deals. They did not make it out of training camp.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I think there's some getting ahead of ourselves with this guy. Since FA signings are so rare there's a tendency to project something that may not be there.

If it's a one year contract he'll be fighting to stay in the league with 1/2 the guys on the 90 man roster. If it's a 2 year deal with some kind of signing bonus the intent might be marginally more serious.

True, I expect McCray to be more than a camp body only with at least a chance to make the final roster though.

Recall the signings of Muir and that other vet D-Lineman (whose name escapes me at the moment) a few years back. I seem to recall those guys were brought in at something in the neighborhood of $800,000 on one year deals. They did not make it out of training camp.

I guess you´re talking about Anthony Hargrove, who was suspended for eight games before the start of the 2012 season because of his involvement in the Saints bounty scandal and because of it didn´t have a chance to make the Packers roster.

H

HardRightEdge

Even if Neal would agree to a deal close to the veteran minimum I don´t see the Packers being interested in re-signing him.
Probably not. He must have had some perceived value to play ahead of Perry. I would qualify him as serviceable, and at a vet minimum they would get a break on the cap hit.

I don't disqualify a guy because of suspension, though I do consider "performance enhancing" more of a red flag than "substance abuse". Half the guys in this league are something and present a risk, whether it's performance enhancing drugs, recreational drugs or alcohol, the latter of which is not generally understood to be a potential violation.

I guess if you had to pick a vice as an NFL player, alcohol would be the best bet since it clears the system fast.

Throw in the arrests for any manner of misbehavior, and there are few guys on any roster you can point to as risk free.

H

HardRightEdge

I guess you´re talking about Anthony Hargrove, who was suspended for eight games before the start of the 2012 season because of his involvement in the Saints bounty scandal and because of it didn´t have a chance to make the Packers roster.
That's right. Goes to show.... Recall the rosy projections made with these guys.

H

HardRightEdge

I´m not sure about the credibility of the source, but here´s a link to the story:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/363603731.html
I remember that now. Who can say? The current HGH testing regime is weak. The union has fought it on the reliability pretext, and the league has not fought back that hard. As the accuracy of testing techniques continues to improve, the handwriting is on the wall. The current regime serves to tell college players and young NFL players, "you are on notice".

Members online

Latest posts