Packers sign OLB Lerentee McCray

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Depending on what the Packers do in the draft, considering our current roster at LB, I would say McCray stands a decent shot at being more then just a camp body.

Left Outside Linebacker
C. Matthews
N. Perry
Left Inside Linebacker
J. Ryan
J. Thomas
Right Inside Linebacker
S. Barrington
C. Bradford
Right Outside Linebacker
J. Peppers
L. McCray

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"We might shock you this year' in free agency." - Mike McCarthy, Feb. 25, 2016

Cook was out of the norm and somewhat "shocking" for GB....they weren't going to give stupid money to a FA (well one that wasn't their own...ie Crosby and others).

H

HardRightEdge

Actually, in point of fact, the entire testing regime is weak. A guy not already caught for something and in the "program" are tested once in training camp, and then not again throughout the season. It is rumored there are enough signals as to when that testing will take place as to give guys time to "prepare".

If they did what they do in international track and field, i.e., testing competitors after every competition, the landscape would change dramatically.

H

HardRightEdge

You are correct. Wasn't using my brain, using an "updated" depth chart I found on line. Forgot about Jones and Elliott.

I don't even see Elliott on the list! lol

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/depth-chart/GB/green-bay-packers
That reminds of when one of the beat reporters, McGinn I think it was, did a run down of the ILB candidates at the start of the 2014 training camp. There were something like 10 names on the list, but not Barrington. Oversight? Written off? I could not say, but I did say at the time that given his limited play and McCarthy's complementary words that he should be considered a competitor for a starting position, which elicited no response.

In this case, I believe that Elliott is a core special teams player and little more. I'm not sure that will earn him a return ticket to the roster. He's on the bubble.

He's precisely the kind of guy McCray will be competing with for a job, and that's if the Packers don't draft somebody like Spence.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

In this case, I believe that Elliott is a core special teams player and little more. I'm not sure that will earn him a return ticket to the roster. He's on the bubble.

I think that if he stays healthy Elliott is a lock to make the team.

H

HardRightEdge

I think that if he stays healthy Elliott is a lock to make the team.
He's not particularly disciplined in the pass rush, and not particularly stout against the run. Anybody who sits at #5 or #6 on the depth chart is on the bubble as far as I'm concerned. There's always room for upgrade at those spots when a guy can't make enough of a mark in his second year to see more time on the field where the competition was not that strong with Matthews at ILB.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some Denver fans are upset to see him go and had good things to say about him:

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?242463-Lerentee-McCray-Signs-With-Packers

I'm telling you no matter how he pans out, even if he doesn't, it was a very smart signing by TT IMO. Low risk, with a player that at minimum I think can push for a depth spot, ST play and rotational breather role.....anything more I think is getting ahead of ourselves, but he's shown promise by simply holding his spot on a very talented D over in Denver.

*Bonus is he doesn't count toward comp picks haha!

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, as I said earlier in this thread, *something* tells me hes better than his depth chart listing was in Denver.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

With this collection of inside 'backers I would agree. Maybe he can play inside.

I guess the Packers could try to play McCray inside but I finally want an inside linebacker who has played the position for several seasons and not move another edge rusher there.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't find a lot on the guy, but I'm intrigued, if for no other reason than what Vrill posted above.

Members online

Latest posts