Packers Sign First of Draft Picks

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers signed seventh-round draft pick Dave Tollefson on Friday, the first of their 12 picks in the April draft to agree to terms.

Tollefson, a 6-foot-4, 255-pound defensive end from Northwest Missouri State, was a Division II All-American, registering 12½ sacks in 2005. He played two seasons of college football, collecting 106 tackles (57 solo), 29½ tackles for loss, 21 sacks and six passes broken up in 26 games.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they must like dave. They probably just paid him in Hormel Chili, a cheap move TT would do. hehe

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
is there ever a situation where they can't come to terms and a player won't sign? how often does that happen? they can't play for another team, right? i mean, if they can't come to terms then a trade would be the only other option, no? i guess the reason i bring it up is, what's the big deal with the signing of draft picks? that doesn't really seem to be a big deal to me. i dunno.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
they must like dave. They probably just paid him in Hormel Chili, a cheap move TT would do. hehe

That would make sense. I mean, why draft someone you don't like? They paid him in kidney beans!

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they can't come to an agreement, the player gets thrown into the next years draft class, from what I understand.

Reaction score
SuperRat said:
If they can't come to an agreement, the player gets thrown into the next years draft class, from what I understand.

A team has the rights to a player they draft for one year until the draft. The rights basically give the team exclusive rights to negotiate with the player.

You are correct, if a player remains unsigned, then they will re-enter the draft next year.

bozz, I can't recall it happening recently, but there were rumblings of it happening with Bears RB Cedric Benson last year. Eventally he got signed. And as for this year, this might also be the case with Santonio Holmes, who has some major problems.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it has ever happened. The years salary they would lose is usually more than the amount more they want. Plus they have no income for a year and risk being drafted even lower.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who's for the league implementing a rookie contract rule which would contain a non-negotiable salary set on a sliding scale based on draft position? *bozz raises hand, because he is sick of ****ing 21 year old kids *****ing because they want 3.5 million for their first job instead of 3 million.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bozz......i think ALL players should get a base salary of 50 grand, and get paid incentives for making plays! Like the REAL WORLD gets paid. You don't produce, you don't get the big money. I bet there would be LOTS of great players then. They would HAVE to be, if they wanted to get paid decent. But we all know that will never happen.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well yeah, if you look for jobs anywhere, it's starting salary DOEQ... depending on EXPERINCE and qualifications. rookies have no experience so they should have an arbitrary starting salary.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats makes WAY too much sense Bozz! Thats why it will never happen! The NFL players association won't LET it happen.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts