1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Packers Sign First of Draft Picks

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by pyledriver80, Jun 24, 2006.

1. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The Packers signed seventh-round draft pick Dave Tollefson on Friday, the first of their 12 picks in the April draft to agree to terms.

Tollefson, a 6-foot-4, 255-pound defensive end from Northwest Missouri State, was a Division II All-American, registering 12½ sacks in 2005. He played two seasons of college football, collecting 106 tackles (57 solo), 29½ tackles for loss, 21 sacks and six passes broken up in 26 games.

2. thetombradyhater

thetombradyhater Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    A 7th rounder YES

3. eastcoastpacker

eastcoastpacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey, thats a start!! Now to get the rest of them signed. :joy: :cross:

4. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    They have plenty of time between now and camp. I'm sure they will get them all done by then.

5. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No 1st or 2nd and maybe no 1st Day picks have signed with their respective teams yet.

6. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    woot woot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    they must like dave. They probably just paid him in Hormel Chili, a cheap move TT would do. hehe

8. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    is there ever a situation where they can't come to terms and a player won't sign? how often does that happen? they can't play for another team, right? i mean, if they can't come to terms then a trade would be the only other option, no? i guess the reason i bring it up is, what's the big deal with the signing of draft picks? that doesn't really seem to be a big deal to me. i dunno.

9. thetombradyhater

thetombradyhater Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    well the big deal of signing picks is so they get into training camp on time so they achieve more. Missing half or all of traing camp can really set a rookie back since he is learning a new system and if he is an early pick with starting expectations and can mean they don't start that year.

10. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    That would make sense. I mean, why draft someone you don't like? They paid him in kidney beans!

11. SuperRat

SuperRat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If they can't come to an agreement, the player gets thrown into the next years draft class, from what I understand.

12. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    and the team loses that pick :(

13. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    does that ever happen?

14. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    A team has the rights to a player they draft for one year until the draft. The rights basically give the team exclusive rights to negotiate with the player.

You are correct, if a player remains unsigned, then they will re-enter the draft next year.

bozz, I can't recall it happening recently, but there were rumblings of it happening with Bears RB Cedric Benson last year. Eventally he got signed. And as for this year, this might also be the case with Santonio Holmes, who has some major problems.

15. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    It nearly happened with John Elway. He refused to play for his drafted team.

16. paxvogel

paxvogel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it has ever happened. The years salary they would lose is usually more than the amount more they want. Plus they have no income for a year and risk being drafted even lower.

17. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    who's for the league implementing a rookie contract rule which would contain a non-negotiable salary set on a sliding scale based on draft position? *bozz raises hand, because he is sick of ******* 21 year old kids bitching because they want 3.5 million for their first job instead of 3 million.

18. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Bozz......i think ALL players should get a base salary of 50 grand, and get paid incentives for making plays! Like the REAL WORLD gets paid. You don't produce, you don't get the big money. I bet there would be LOTS of great players then. They would HAVE to be, if they wanted to get paid decent. But we all know that will never happen.

19. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    well yeah, if you look for jobs anywhere, it's starting salary DOEQ... depending on EXPERINCE and qualifications. rookies have no experience so they should have an arbitrary starting salary.

20. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Thats makes WAY too much sense Bozz! Thats why it will never happen! The NFL players association won't LET it happen.