Packers sign DE Ray Drew

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Professional career

Miami Dolphins

On May 8, 2015, Drew was signed by the Miami Dolphins as an undrafted free agent. On August 30, 2015, he was waived.

Cleveland Browns

On October 6, 2015, Drew was signed to the Cleveland Browns' practice squad. On November 2, 2015, he was released.

Green Bay Packers

On March 14, 2016, Drew was signed by the Green Bay Packers. On April 25, 2016 Drew was released by the Packers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Drew

I'm sensing a pattern.......

H

HardRightEdge

Well, with the first two weeks of the offseason workout program limited to strength and conditioning the coaching staff hasn't yet seen him perform on a football field. So it's kind of odd the team felt the need to cut him.
Maybe he showed up late or didn't show at all. Maybe he showed up big as a house. It doesn't take much for a guy on the bubble to lose his job, if he even qualified as that.

H

HardRightEdge

He isn't the first and won't be the last. He was on a par with the half dozen spots on the practice squad that get shuffled around during the season which few fans seem to notice.

Consider that the Packers have 60 guys currently under contract. Does anybody think the remaining 30 spots will be populated solely by 9 draft picks and 21 UDFA's? I don't think so. We'll see what Pro Personnel comes up with after the post-draft cuts. Potential starters? Highly unlikely. Potential bench players? Perhaps one or two. Potential practice squad guys who have been in the league? More likely. Drew was in that last category.

Last edited by a moderator:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking the same as HRE. As a camp body he was already walking on a tight rope. He probably did something (or didn't do something) that was both the first and last straw. Some of these 22-23-24 year olds don't understand what it takes to succeed, or just don't have the work ethic/desire/accountability to play at the pro level. I'm not trying to necessarily draw a conclusion about Ray Drew, but it is slightly unusual to be cut before even seeing the field. In the season, sometimes you are brought on to fill a practice squad spot when the team needs insurance, and then another need takes priority. However, this isn't in season and we have plenty of open roster spots. Something happened and he wasn't that great of talent/intrigue to overcome whatever it is that cost him his latest job.

Latest posts