Packers run game (thoughts)

A. Rodgers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you think the packers should do to make their run game more productive?

first off, i think they should make Brandon Jackson the starter at RB because when he did play, he got lots of 4-6 yard runs, as well as some 10-16 yard runs. what do you think about this?

NormalSizedMidget

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think BJ should start as well. I won't lie I'm not the biggest fan of Grant but I always wonder if the reason Jackson always stood out when he had his carries is because Grant was banged up all year even when he was starting. He can catch the ball which Grant does none of and better in pass blocking from what I've seen. I think this year it's going to be closer to a 50/50 as far as carries and snaps being split up and that's what I'd like to see.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He carried when the defense was tired. But Grant didn't play well when he carried. But in my humble opinion football begins in the lines. If your line is small and, although smart and quick, "light", it needs repetition. We did not repeat the same line ever. Also, our prime guys were hurt all the time. I would like us to draft at OL, maybe at 2nd or 3rd round, but bottom line we need to repeat the same O-line. 2007, the line was allways the same, Grant runned well and Favre had all day to throw. Heck, the Patriots had A LOT more trouble with the Giants DLine than we did...

OP
OP
A. Rodgers

A. Rodgers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, good point RS. i think though that they should get some OL in the draft, then maybe have an open competition for RB

Reaction score
i dont think we should give up on grant but i like brandon jackson so i say we get a split back running scheme . since brandons rookie year till this year was incredible upgrades for him he looked faster more aware. he looks like he trained a lot in the off season hopefully he trains hard again and becomes better. but i wouldnt be suprised if they switched him to number 1 . even edgar bennet said he should get more carrying opprotuntioes. So i say give much more attempts to BJ

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The zone blocking system was brought in by Jagz and he left before he ever got to really try and make it work. Since he left to date I feel it has not brought positive results. In many ways it works against the strengths of the offensive lineman the Packers currently have on the roster.

It needs to at least be looked at and then corrected; if not scraped all together.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Trade for LaDainian Tomlinson.

Just kidding.

I think Grant having a full training camp under his belt this year will help. I think he'll be more 2007 than 2008 this year.

RyanMegaphors

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would either like to see Brandon Jackson start or Kregg Lumpkin emerge. Grant is only ok. It worked when defenses hesitated a bit because they knew Favre could make you pay (and one day soon, so will AR), so he got a tiny bit of extra time. But he cant catch, cant break many tackles, cant block well.

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, Grant was great in 2007 and good in 2008. He didn't have a full training camp and spend some time injured and still managed 1200 yards in 08. I really don't see a reason to panic and replace him just yet.

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it's not all about the backs but the scheme? hmmmmmm? never thought of that.

Also look for a RB to be drafted somewhere in rounds 3 through 7

I would personally like Ted to grab Rashad Jennings in the fourth round. This would be the steal pick of the draft if he could get him there. He could be a big part of a 2 back combo with Jackson for years to come.

"Scheme what?.. huh"

"Rashad Jennings? huh? let me google him wait...then I'll write something to try and say free is wrong about something"

haha

peaCe!