Packers re-sign Kevin King

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Ryan Wood packer insider on wssp bart winkler show

He is laughing at people that think king is bad

Listen to Packers Coverage on the free RADIO.COM app!
https://app.radio.com/waAo0MP5Rcb

Click Ryan Wood

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This just in:

A Packer beat writer defends the Packers FO. :)

King is closer to bad than he is good. We can only hope he takes a leap, or at the very least remains healthy. It's not a lot of money so I don't mind it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This just in:

A Packer beat writer defends the Packers FO. :)

King is closer to bad than he is good. We can only hope he takes a leap, or at the very least remains healthy. It's not a lot of money so I don't mind it.
Its also the host of the show agreeing with him

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
i wasn't completely opposed to brining him back, but it's a bit rich for my blood. Often injured and too many lows that are too low in his level of play.
We do not know how rich the contract is, could be highly inventive based. If so and he earns it, then we cannot complain.

I am really sick of Kevin King, BUT, as I have stated many times, there is no guarantee that any of the rookie CB's that could be available at #29 are an upgrade to King, especially out of the gate. I have repeated many times on this forum, that MAYBE 1-3 of this grouping are an immediate upgrade, the others will take time to develop, they are rookies. I was hoping the Packers would sign a guy like Richard Sherman to a 1 year deal to transition a rookie into a CB2 role for their second season. Maybe the Richard Sherman's of the world want more money or longer deals, or maybe King is really the best bet based on his locker room presence. All we know for sure is that Gute is committed to keeping his own, and we should value and respect that. The Packers were a few plays short of a super bowl last year (yes one of those plays was King's fault), but the front 7 really did not help much either...Christian Barmore enters chat...

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like OT is now round 1 priority. DE in the 2nd. CB now 3rd round need. Me thinks there will still be a pretty good one at 92. This now brings WR and another OL as my 4th round hopes. IDL and ILB in the 5th. Pass catching motion type RB in the 6th. Use the other 6th to move up earlier if needed. If no trade get a DB there.
If one of the 6ths are traded get your 2nd DB in the 7th otherwise a KR with that last pick.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I am not trying to say he is really good. I think he is average but has a couple just terrible plays that make him look worse. My hope is the new DC knows how to play to his strengths better. Maybe just wishful thinking

No, I understand that.

But I disagree that he's average outside of a couple of bad plays.

I think his baseline level of play is just poor. In 2019, he buoyed it towards average with a few good plays. In 2020, he tanked it towards disaster with a few bad ones. But strip away the outlier plays, and he's just a bad corner.

Now I get that there were financial constraints. I also understand that he was probably playing hurt last year (though that's part of the deal with King). But I was still hoping for a slightly better option at the position.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had a bad back coming into the game and I said at the time...(after the first TD)... he’s playing like a guy with a bad back. Every conerback gets burned.... every single one. The TD before the half he should not have been put in that position. Saying we lost that game because of King is like me saying we lost because of Rosgers multiple miscues. Good (and predictable) signing imo.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't someone say that King may be more favorable in the Barry defense? That's the only way this makes sense to me. I thought for sure we were moving on.

felix145

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kevin Kings coverage grade among CBs:

2017: 123rd of 131
2018: 88th of 135
2019: 69th of 138
2020: 98th of 141

He's also injured a lot and a bad tackler.

I just hope he's going to be CB3 or CB4 at the beginning of the season.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Kevin Kings coverage grade among CBs:

2017: 123rd of 131
2018: 88th of 135
2019: 69th of 138
2020: 98th of 141

He's also injured a lot and a bad tackler.

I just hope he's going to be CB3 or CB4 at the beginning of the season.
the bad tackling is tied to his injuries

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Ryan Wood packer insider on wssp bart winkler show

He is laughing at people that think king is bad

Listen to Packers Coverage on the free RADIO.COM app!
https://app.radio.com/waAo0MP5Rcb

Click Ryan Wood

Wood may be laughing, but you have to consider that it's a lot more than just casual fans that view King as a bad player.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
the bad tackling is tied to his injuries

And if he's healthy, he might be serviceable. But considering that he's only been so (healthy and serviceable) once in four seasons, I think it's understandable why fans are skeptical.

I'm okay with the move as just creating depth/competition for a season across from Jaire, but I will definitely be rooting for him to get beat out by a rookie in camp.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So this makes absolutely no sense to me when kyle fuller just signed for 9.5 million...

And I can't imagine a 6 million dollar cap hit for Kevin King in a year like this is a good use of cap space

Watch he'll have 8 picks in 2021

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So this makes absolutely no sense to me when kyle fuller just signed for 9.5 million...

And I can't imagine a 6 million dollar cap hit for Kevin King in a year like this is a good use of cap space

I will be surprised if we don’t find out at some point that it’s a cheaper deal with incentives that can get up to 6M.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like OT is now round 1 priority. DE in the 2nd. CB now 3rd round need. Me thinks there will still be a pretty good one at 92. This now brings WR and another OL as my 4th round hopes. IDL and ILB in the 5th. Pass catching motion type RB in the 6th. Use the other 6th to move up earlier if needed. If no trade get a DB there.
If one of the 6ths are traded get your 2nd DB in the 7th otherwise a KR with that last pick.

CB is still a massive need. OT will get Bahk back (see what I did there?) sometime this year, but that's not happening with any corners. OT might very well be the first pick, but corner is still a bigger need considering King's terrible play last year and his well chronicled issue with staying healthy.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always though King was better than most gave him credit for. I've seen him play pretty well and pretty damn poorly, which is the real King? coaching, scheme, decision making? My biggest complaint is I i just don't think his body is made for this game. Injuries affect his availability or ability on a daily basis it seems. I would have signed him back, but for less. i'm expecting the moon at 6 million by any means and I figured we were going to get a vet that had some concerns, I just figured it would be a different vet. King does know the players around him and is familiar with the team. He's not great, but we weren't going to get great at DB thru FA anyway. Whoever we got was going to have liabilities. They'll still be drafting a DB or 2 and likely with a 1-3 round pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I am really sick of Kevin King, BUT, as I have stated many times, there is no guarantee that any of the rookie CB's that could be available at #29 are an upgrade to King, especially out of the gate.

This is very important to keep in mind. Also, a #29 pick is going to cost right around the following on a 4 year deal:

Total: $11,413,445
Signing Bonus:$5,660,687
2021 Cap: $2,075,172

For those who have followed the Packers in the last what 10 or so years, we saw what happens with using first and second round picks on DB's. We have more failures than successes. Did people really expect success, on using the #29 pick on an instant starter CB?

King coming back puts a lot less pressure on Gute finding that instant starter at CB. Hopefully, at some point he finds a future solid starter, but that player will now have some time to develop.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Fuller getting 9.5 million is somewhat irrelevant. He took a one year deal and less to go to his former DC so he could boost his stock and get a big payday. Fuller could have gotten a longer deal but he thinks he will prove he is worth more under Fangio. I mean Patrick Peterson who has been graded around Kevin King by some sites got 10 million this year. I would have guessed 2 year 10 million for King so this seems fine.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
CB is still a massive need. OT will get Bahk back (see what I did there?) sometime this year, but that's not happening with any corners. OT might very well be the first pick, but corner is still a bigger need considering King's terrible play last year and his well chronicled issue with staying healthy.

I'd agree with this. Biggest need doesn't necessarily mean it gets picked first. Positional value and talent available obviously still factors. But I would still put defensive back at #1.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wood may be laughing, but you have to consider that it's a lot more than just casual fans that view King as a bad player.

Exactly...a dude as young as him, if he was even average with trending upward projection that man gets a 9M a year contract MINIMUM IMO.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd agree with this. Biggest need doesn't necessarily mean it gets picked first. Positional value and talent available obviously still factors. But I would still put defensive back at #1.

I also agree with this, but I think we just entered a pool where likelihood of a CB at 29 lessoned for sure.

Members online