Packers re-sign James Starks

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

According to Adam Caplan the team has agreed to a contract with the backup RB.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very interested to see the terms. Fingers crossed for 1 year vet min. Maybe two years just don't want him being signed mess up signed Eddie if he bounces back which is what I see happening.

Rest assured, it wont be a big contract, LOL. Its probably around 1m a year.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smart move if the price is right. Starks has stayed mostly healthy (and available) since moving to a backup role.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess a quality rookie RB can be put on hold another year now. Im glad to see Starks back. He is a very good RB in a rotation.

So far Ted has brought back all the important parts. Raji messed up the party, and Neal hasnt made it yet. Daniels, Guion, Perry was huge for our defense though. Starks takes pressure off the RBs.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 years/6M. Unbelievable. Is Ted running a charity for existing Packers vets this offseason? Absolutely no way does Starks pull in 3M a year anywhere else.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3mil........................?
I like Starks and all. And Stability factor does figure in strongly Im sure. But it seems replacing him with a rookie or two wouldve been another option.

Im thinking fans dont quite realize how much we leaned on him last year. He was one of the few things that did what they were suposed to do on offense.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
#Packers RB James Starks' deal is worth $6 over two years. He'll get $3M this year, but his cap number will be less than that, source said.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wish people would hear all facts before getting pissed

There are no facts that can make this a good deal. Of course it's less than a 3M cap hit the first year. That's standard with 90% of NFL contracts to be loaded more heavily in the back. It's still going to cost us 6M in cash and cap if we are going to keep him for 2 years, and if we don't there will be some dead cap next year.

Last edited:

andeftw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3M/yr?!?
I've stayed away from criticising TT after overpaying for Crosby, but this deal makes no sense whatsoever. I really hope we draft a solid RB prospect this year and Starks is gone in 2017. No way a backup RB should have a 3M+ cap hit, especially when Lacy likely will be resigned for more than 5-6M/yr

Reaction score
Wish people would hear all facts before getting pissed

There will be more details I'm sure but regardless of cap number this season He will
Either get paid that number or they will cut him after the year and have some kind of dead money I'm sure. I hate this deal. Where is the common sense in this Chris Johnson just signed a 1 year 3m yesterday. I think they are in similar times in their career but Johnson was the lead back last year. Starks was and still is the 2nd punch

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best case scenario if he's getting 3M this year, could mean a 2M signing bonus for instance and 1M base salary this year and 3M next year.

Even in that heavily backloaded scenario, it's still the equivalent of 1 year /3M best case, which is still terrible.

P

proudsoftballdad

I love starks and he will contribute but we invest money at a position that's not high on the list of must needs and a position were a rookie CAN contribute and leave the inside linebacker and TE bare is unexcusable..

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best case scenario if he's getting 3M this year, could mean a 2M signing bonus for instance and 1M base salary this year and 3M next year.

Even in that heavily backloaded scenario, it's still the equivalent of 1 year /3M best case, which is still terrible.
Yep. That is what it is. A 1 year deal for at least $3M. Spot on.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its fine. I thought we had more leverage on him, but what ever. Im just glad he is back. Feel much much better. He was huge for us last year.

2 years too. good.