Packers Plan To Be Big Spenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so according to a guy on twitter he read on a message board that someone heard Larry say he heard that ted wants to trade up? This sounds like a really bad game of telephone

Lol... Yep that's pretty much the gist of it. I never said it was 100% accurate, just saying it's been out there

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
so according to a guy on twitter he read on a message board that someone heard Larry say he heard that ted wants to trade up? This sounds like a really bad game of telephone
I don't do twitter so I'm glad you were able to decipher that for me.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about all the "free agency is BAD" crowd that defend TT's lack of spending? What leg do they stand on if TT starts spending money in free agency?

As for the premise of the article, it's a little odd. It's only NOW that the front office has decided to furnish players that fit their defensive coordinator's scheme? What exactly have we been doing the past couple years? Aside, I'm not criticizing the front office, I'm criticizing the article. Why would the Packers suddenly decide THIS year that they want to get players that fit their defense. What, the past couple of years were they just chucking darts at the player board?
I think it's always depended on the players available. People always want to bag on TT for not spending in FA but he's done it in the past and will probably do it again. He just seems to look for fire sales before making a move. I don't think anyone thinks FA in general is bad. It's just bad to go throwing $100 million at Albert Haynesworth or Julius Peppers which some on here wanted to do if I recall.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TED THOMPSON's 9-Year History of signing Free Agents

OVERALL GRADE: B-

2005:
G Adrian Klemm, Grade D-
G Matt O’Dwyer, Grade F

2006: WR Marc Boerigter, Grade D
S Marquand Manuel, Grade D
DT Ryan Pickett, Grade A
LB Ben Taylor, Grade D+
CB Charles Woodson, Grade A+

2007: CB Frank Walker, Grade C+ (he at least was physical)

2008: LB Brandon Chillar, Grade B-

2009: C/G Duke Preston, Grade F

2010: None, Grade F

2011: None, Grade F

2012: DE Anthony Hargrove, Grade F+
C Jeff Saturday, Grade D+

2013: None, Grade F

Without Woodson, this would be the worst 9-year run of Free Agent additions in the NFL.
But with Woodson, the DPOY and our catalyst, he gets an overall B-. Pickett also was a great addition.
In the 7 years since (this will be the 8th), the BEST signings he's made were Brandon Chillar and Frank Walker.
That's atrocious. SEVEN YEARS.
Pete Carroll was still at USC then.
Andrew Luck hadn't started a game yet at Stanford.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wont be shocked if we trade up. If there is a guy we covet strongly that wont be there at 21, I can see it. But I wonder who that player would be? A Safety? OLB? MLB? NT?

Nix?
Barr?
Mosley?
Pryor?

Ive seen all four of these names associated with us in mock drafts.

I can potentially see Pryor still being there at 21. The other three I think will be gone by 21 though.

*Could* a surprise position be Wide Receiver? Someone like Sammy Watkins if he slides into trade up range from us? (doubtful though)

Cornerback is another potential surprise position we take in round 1. Justin Gilbert perhaps?

D

Deleted member 6794

Without Woodson, this would be the worst 9-year run of Free Agent additions in the NFL.
But with Woodson, the DPOY and our catalyst, he gets an overall B-. Pickett also was a great addition.
In the 7 years since (this will be the 8th), the BEST signings he's made were Brandon Chillar and Frank Walker.

And according to Andrew Brandt John Schneider was the guy responsible for signing Woodson and Pickett and had to convince TT to finally agree with the moves.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wont be shocked if we trade up. If there is a guy we covet strongly that wont be there at 21, I can see it. But I wonder who that player would be? A Safety? OLB? MLB? NT?

Nix?
Barr?
Mosley?
Pryor?

Ive seen all four of these names associated with us in mock drafts.

I can potentially see Pryor still being there at 21. The other three I think will be gone by 21 though.

I think Nix could be there as well, but I'm not sure I would like the Packers to draft him with his injury history.

*Could* a surprise position be Wide Receiver? Someone like Sammy Watkins if he slides into trade up range from us? (doubtful though)

Cornerback is another potential surprise position we take in round 1. Justin Gilbert perhaps?

Watkins won't drop to #21. CB could be a position of need, depending on what happens with Shields and Tramon.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And according to Andrew Brandt John Schneider was the guy responsible for signing Woodson and Pickett and had to convince TT to finally agree with the moves.
That's why Seattle has gotten better and been aggressive, while we have deteriorated.
Our depth at WR has gone down. Our TE's are bare.
Our Safeties are the worst set I've ever seen.
Our ILB's are terrible.
75% of our DL are free agents, and people fail to remember just how horrible we were when Aaron was out.

We lost to the Giants, a team who had packed it in for the season already.
We lost to the Lions, who were otherwise horrible the final month & a half.
We tied the Vikings in our place, and they're terrible.
We barely beat the Falcons in our place, and they didn't beat anyone else.
The Eagles killed us, in Green Bay.

Did all the turkey and mashed potatoes make you guys forget that the Lions kicked our ***** like an SEC top team crushing a team like UW-LaCrosse.

Without Rodgers, this team was horrible.
His greatness masked a lot of problems on this team.

Relying 100% on the draft, and not drafting well, and well, you see things like this apparently.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this 100% true?
I have not heard that, somehow, before.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Our depth at WR has gone down."

I have no clue how you could think this. I think this is one of the best groups we have had in years. Cobb and Nelson IMO are both top tier studs. (Certainly Nelson is not even debatable) JJ is starting for almost anyone in the NFL and Boykin showed me more than enough to be excited about him. It sucks that we can't keep em all but I think the track record there has been ok.

D

Deleted member 6794

"Our depth at WR has gone down."

I have no clue how you could think this. I think this is one of the best groups we have had in years. Cobb and Nelson IMO are both top tier studs. (Certainly Nelson is not even debatable) JJ is starting for almost anyone in the NFL and Boykin showed me more than enough to be excited about him. It sucks that we can't keep em all but I think the track record there has been ok.

I don't agree with his take on the WRs either as we have one of the best groups in the league.

It's tough to argue with the other points he made though.

H

HardRightEdge

I heard are the guys from Green and Gold talk about it, here's an article in which the Woodson signing (and some other interesting stuff) is mentioned, not sure they were referring to this one though:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/29/super-bowl-48-seahawks-success/
Overlooked in all the Seattle/Schneider hubbub is the job John Dorsey did in KC.

Another Wolf protege, departed from GB in 2013, Dorsey replaced over 30 guys on KC's 53 man roster, with the team turning around from 2-14 to 11-5.

Let that sink in for a second. Easily a "GM of the Year" performance.

Here are his key moves: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/01/03/4728274/gm-dorsey-makes-right-moves-to.html

2014 will be the year to see if McKenzie can make it a Wolf-protege trifecta. Year 1 was triage. Year 2 was slashing the overpaid dead wood. With the dead cap behind him and tons of cap space available, he's in position to build his own team now. Flynn was a misstep; he still needs a serviceable QB to get his show on the road.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overlooked in all the Seattle/Schneider hubbub is the job John Dorsey did in KC.

Another Wolf protege, departed from GB in 2013, Dorsey replaced over 30 guys on KC's 53 man roster, with the team turning around from 2-14 to 11-5.

Let that sink in for a second. Easily a "GM of the Year" performance.

Here are his key moves: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/01/03/4728274/gm-dorsey-makes-right-moves-to.html

2014 will be the year to see if McKenzie can make it a Wolf-protege trifecta. Year 1 was triage. Year 2 was slashing the overpaid dead wood. With the dead cap behind him and tons of cap space available, he's in position to build his own team now. Flynn was a misstep; he still needs a serviceable QB to get his show on the road.
Dorsey has been there 1 season. Although I think he will be a successful as a GM, you can't really give him much credit in the talent assembly category just yet. Hiring Reid was a great move, and the one most responsible for the success of the team.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TED THOMPSON's 9-Year History of signing Free Agents

OVERALL GRADE: B-

2005:
G Adrian Klemm, Grade D-
G Matt O’Dwyer, Grade F

2006: WR Marc Boerigter, Grade D
S Marquand Manuel, Grade D
DT Ryan Pickett, Grade A
LB Ben Taylor, Grade D+
CB Charles Woodson, Grade A+

2007: CB Frank Walker, Grade C+ (he at least was physical)

2008: LB Brandon Chillar, Grade B-

2009: C/G Duke Preston, Grade F

2010: None, Grade F

2011: None, Grade F

2012: DE Anthony Hargrove, Grade F+
C Jeff Saturday, Grade D+

2013: None, Grade F

Sometimes not signing a FA is the correct move. How can you complain that no FAs were signed in 2010 when we won the Superbowl? Are you upset our margin of victory wasn't greater?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what about Jimmy Graham from the aints?
Jimmy Graham will get signed for a ton of cash and the team that does will regret it. Packers will not be that team. If the Packers do become more active in FA, I would only expect medium level FAs and nothing big.

H

HardRightEdge

Dorsey has been there 1 season. Although I think he will be a successful as a GM, you can't really give him much credit in the talent assembly category just yet. Hiring Reid was a great move, and the one most responsible for the success of the team.

I try to be nice...I could reference brick walls...but I do try to be nice most of the time.

Explain how replacing over 30 out of 53 players...in one year...does not involve "talent assembly"?

Actually, the number late in 2013 was 32 replacements compared to the final game roster from 2012.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's why Seattle has gotten better and been aggressive, while we have deteriorated.
Our depth at WR has gone down. Our TE's are bare.
Our Safeties are the worst set I've ever seen.
Our ILB's are terrible.
75% of our DL are free agents, and people fail to remember just how horrible we were when Aaron was out.

We lost to the Giants, a team who had packed it in for the season already.
We lost to the Lions, who were otherwise horrible the final month & a half.
We tied the Vikings in our place, and they're terrible.
We barely beat the Falcons in our place, and they didn't beat anyone else.
The Eagles killed us, in Green Bay.

Did all the turkey and mashed potatoes make you guys forget that the Lions kicked our ***** like an SEC top team crushing a team like UW-LaCrosse.

Without Rodgers, this team was horrible.
His greatness masked a lot of problems on this team.

Relying 100% on the draft, and not drafting well, and well, you see things like this apparently.

About sums it up. TT's system relies on drafting well and finding scrap heap UFA's. If these decisions are not made properly the system fails.

TT has had two great QB's during his tenure. He gets credit for drafting Rodgers. However, as stated above, when the QB goes down, this team, TT's team is no better than .500.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts