Packers Plan To Be Big Spenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I'm saying is if they're going that way, then fit the puzzle pieces into a coherent picture. As previously discussed vis a vis PIT and SF with their smaller lines, it can work if you have fast, physical and skilled linebackers. We don't have those guys, so they should go get a couple. Or reload the big body supply and follow the previous path.

Neither approach is easy. They're opting for the latter it would appear. The flavor of the decade in college football is SS converted to LB...light, fast guys who are not afraid to hit, with a safety's understanding of defenses (fast, physical, skilled). It may just be a matter of fitting the scheme to the available talent; the Packers always bemoan how hard it is to find athletic big bodies.

However, the idea of going small on the D-Line with the incumbent back 7 largely intact is a recipe for disaster. Teams that run the ball well will keep us in short yardage and base-D all day.

The only heavier player that will be leaving the defense (from what I inferred) would be Raji, who was a gigantic DE to begin with (his poor play is a whole 'nuther discussion). Seems like all the Packers are really doing is looking to get more prototypical defensive ends for the 3-4 defense, guys like Jones that can slide inside on passing downs if they want them to (e.g., Tuck for the Giants slide to DT on passing downs).

Now, you can get away with having smaller guys in a 3-4 at NT but teams that do that have bigger, "thumper" ILBs than we do. With a smaller NT, the ILBs need to be able to fight off the guards since the NT isn't going to be occupying them. If we DO go with a smaller NT then we're going to need to get new starting inside linebackers as well (something many would say we need anyway but the need becomes imperative with a smaller NT). Again though, this is all theory stuff, if you have REALLY good players you can get away with breaking the mold (like the 49ers being able to play two smaller ILBs with a smaller NT).

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be surprised if NO doesnt resign him. Then I would be surprised if we out bid some other teams for him.

If I recall correctly, New Orleans is currently $9M or so over the cap. Going to be difficult for them to do that. While I'm sure it's an extremely far fetched rumor, wouldn't this be somewhat of an ideal spot for him? We have a need for TE and I'm sure he doesn't want some team with a bum QB throwing to him. Although I guess exorbant amounts of money can make up for a crappy QB.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, New Orleans is currently $9M or so over the cap. Going to be difficult for them to do that. While I'm sure it's an extremely far fetched rumor, wouldn't this be somewhat of an ideal spot for him? We have a need for TE and I'm sure he doesn't want some team with a bum QB throwing to him. Although I guess exorbant amounts of money can make up for a crappy QB.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24440329/saints-dl-will-smith-to-be-released

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ooooh my god... TT haters wouldn't know what to do with themselves!
And what would TT-lovers say then, about buying other team's players all of a sudden?

By the way, I will believe this headline when I see it.

I don't expect it.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the NFL, there are three ways to get better from one season to another: develop internally, draft well and sign free agents. It'll be nice to see the Packers do all three this year with $30M of cap room.

Louie Delmas would be a good buy low candidate, IMO.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers spent $95 million on that defense that helped us win a championship in 2010. It's gone down drastically since then, for obvious reasons like Woodson & Pickett being in the meat of their deals and the Rodgers contract.

But as the poster above said, the quickest way to get the defense back to that level would be to spend a good amount on it again.

AZpackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about all the "free agency is BAD" crowd that defend TT's lack of spending? What leg do they stand on if TT starts spending money in free agency?

As for the premise of the article, it's a little odd. It's only NOW that the front office has decided to furnish players that fit their defensive coordinator's scheme? What exactly have we been doing the past couple years? Aside, I'm not criticizing the front office, I'm criticizing the article. Why would the Packers suddenly decide THIS year that they want to get players that fit their defense. What, the past couple of years were they just chucking darts at the player board?
I tend to think that the front office finally gave Dom an ultimatum....and he probably shot back with "I don't have the proper personnel for my scheme".....thus, prompting the front office to say...."OK, we will give you a chance in FA to go out and get the personnel"....I dunno, I can't think of any other reason given TT's reluctance to sign FAs.

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you guys think about going after Jared Allen or Justin Tuck?

H

HardRightEdge

That's right. Jimmy Graham's coming to Green Bay. Book it. TT has concluded the defense is irreparable and has decided on a 2nd. new philosophical approach this off season which, in a nutshell, involves outscoring everybody 48 -42.

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh... I think a team will overpay for them just based on names that we'd have to outbid. Plus, they've only played 4-3 end.

Yeah, that's a good point. Since we are sticking with a 3-4, we probably wouldn't pursue them.

OP
OP
TCHickman24

TCHickman24

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It started with McCarren reportedly saying he's heard around the facility that TT is hell bent on getting the best safety in the draft, and will do whatever it takes to get him even if that means moving up

Have a link by chance?

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If those "rumors" are true, I bet we sign a Safety and DLineman (or maybe a LB) in FA. I bet we dont sign more than two new guys that can come in and start though. Rest will come from the draft. So my guess on the two positions we sign in FA, will be Safety or DL/LB (toss up for DL or LB) and the LB could be an OLB opposite Matthews or even a MLB. The DL would be a NT I am guessing.

Shields will be resigned long term.
Jordy's situation will get worked out
Jones wont demand a huge contract in FA, so we'll get him back for a good price too.
Raji? I think hes a goner though. Unless we can resign him on the cheap. Which I doubt.

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If those "rumors" are true, I bet we sign a Safety and DLineman (or maybe a LB) in FA. I bet we dont sign more than two new guys that can come in and start though. Rest will come from the draft.

Shields will be resigned long term.
Jordy's situation will get worked out
Jones wont demand a huge contract in FA, so we'll get him back for a good price too.
Raji? I think hes a goner though. Unless we can resign him on the cheap. Which I doubt.

Yeah, I don't think we'll keep Raji. I heard he had already turned down $8 million. He's too expensive and not worth the money. You're right. It's imperative to keep Shields, Jordy, and Jones, which I believe we will. If there is enough money, which there is close to $30 million, we may try free agency for a safety or defensive lineman, but the draft may turn up something as well.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a good point. Since we are sticking with a 3-4, we probably wouldn't pursue them.

Of course, I'd argue some guys would be good at any similar position. Clay is an example as I think he could be good at any LB spot. Tuck and Allen aren't on Clay's level, but maybe they could be good at 3-4 end or as situational pass rushers. Probably not worth the the money they'd require though.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have a link by chance?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This is all I could find. Obviously not the most concrete of sources but interesting nonetheless.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is all I could find. Obviously not the most concrete of sources but interesting nonetheless.

so according to a guy on twitter he read on a message board that someone heard Larry say he heard that ted wants to trade up? This sounds like a really bad game of telephone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts