Packers notes

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Compared to whom? I expect we will be one of the deepest teams in the league this year........................ On Labor Day.

Right.... Like theres a team in the league that doesnt have issues with depth at a few positions. Injuries can change everything no matter who you are. Its why in order to win the chip u have to get a lil lucky n avoid them at key positions

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He played in 14, 15 and 11 games in the past 3 seasons. He wasn't hurt all that often.

It's more a case of a guy who did not make the jump in the second, third or fourth year.

The Jets wanted a special teams player and a backup LB. That's what they're getting.
Did he sign for less than a million a year? Probably not much chance we'll get a compensatory pick for him I would think.

H

HardRightEdge

Compared to whom? I expect we will be one of the deepest teams in the league this year........................ On Labor Day.
The Packers have an inordinate number of players on the roster who have not taken an NFL snap or who have been undistinguished when taking the few they've been given.

H

HardRightEdge

Did he sign for less than a million a year? Probably not much chance we'll get a compensatory pick for him I would think.
I don't see where it's been reported as of yet, but backup ILB/ST guys don't get paid that much.

Here's a somewhat stale list of projected 2016 compensatory picks based on salary:

http://overthecap.com/2016-compensatory-draft-pick-update-3132015/

Note that Tramon Williams is not listed, or anybody else who's deal has been reported since 3/13. The cut-off will go higher than what's shown.

Lattimore certainly is not going to qualify as a 6th. and most likely not a 7th. And even if he did qualify for a bottom of the 7th. pick, that's worth little if anything.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Lattimore was non-tendered like DuJuan. That makes him ineligible for compensation.

H

HardRightEdge

I thought Lattimore was non-tendered like DuJuan. That makes him ineligible for compensation.
Lattimore was a restricted FA in 2014, signed to the "original round" tender of $1.4 mil. He was unrestricted this year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see where it's been reported as of yet, but backup ILB/ST guys don't get paid that much.

Here's a somewhat stale list of projected 2016 compensatory picks based on salary:

Note that Tramon Williams is not listed, or anybody else who's deal has been reported since 3/13. The cut-off will go higher than what's shown.

Lattimore certainly is not going to qualify as a 6th. and most likely not a 7th. And even if he did qualify for a bottom of the 7th. pick, that's worth little if anything.
I think all picks have value. A compensatory 7th allows you to grab a guy that maybe you'd have competition for in UDFA. It also makes it more palatable to package your 6th and 7th in exchange for someone's 5th if there is a guy on your board that has slipped that Thompson likes.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

IMO, the cutoff price will actually go down as the NFL only compensates teams for net losses in free agency. I think that chart is just showing all the free agents signed.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I expect the offense, returning all 11 starters from last season, to be one of the best in the league once again. The defense has a lot of question marks though as of right now. There´s no doubt in my mind that the Packers will be one of the favourites to win the Super Bowl next season though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers have an inordinate number of players on the roster who have not taken an NFL snap or who have been undistinguished when taking the few they've been given.
That's true. I have faith in most of the assistants that handle position groupings though I remain unconvinced that our d-line coach is all that effective. For the most part I think this is a well-coached team.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hope you're right. Guess it'll be just the rest of us talking about the roster until then? Look forward to your return.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Raji's contract includes $1.15 million in base salary, $500,000 signing bonus and $100,000 workout bonus. Because he didn't play last season the roster bonus is unlikely to be earned, meaning he will count only $1.75 million towards the cap.

Guion's deal includes $1.5 million in base salary, $1.15 million in per game roster bonuses and $100,000 workout bonus. The deal doesn't include any signing bonus or guaranteed money.

Great job by Thompson and Russ Ball structuring the contracts that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Raji's contract includes $1.15 million in base salary, $500,000 signing bonus and $100,000 workout bonus. Because he didn't play last season the roster bonus is unlikely to be earned, meaning he will count only $1.75 million towards the cap.

Guion's deal includes $1.5 million in base salary, $1.15 million in per game roster bonuses and $100,000 workout bonus. The deal doesn't include any signing bonus or guaranteed money.

Great job by Thompson and Russ Ball structuring the contracts that way.
Guion's substantial per game roster bonuses relative to the total value of the deal reflects the suspension risk. And if the suspension is long enough, there's an easy out with no cost if it comes to that. Smart.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Packers offseason program will start April 20. OTAs scheduled for May 27-29, June 2-4 and June 9-12. Mandatory minicamp will be held June 16-18.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Hope you're right. Guess it'll be just the rest of us talking about the roster until then? Look forward to your return.
Lol. It's an ongoing process. For April 2 it's shaping up quite nicely imo. The offense is in ridiculously good shape, so is the cap, and pieces are being added.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers are using one of their 30 pre-draft visits to bring in Bryce Petty.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...it-packers-before-draft?ex_cid=espnapi_public

The consensus is Petty is somewhere between the 3rd. and 5th. best QB in the draft, with projections ranging from 1st. to 4th. round. Since reaching for QBs is an annual ritual, and likely more so in this weak draft class, he won't last to the 4th. Maybe 2nd.

Whether it's Petty in an upper round (which I consider unlikely), or Petty falling to a middle round, or a less hyped prospect in the mid-to-low rounds, it's looking like Thompson will be springing for a QB in the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Lol. It's an ongoing process. For April 2 it's shaping up quite nicely imo. The offense is in ridiculously good shape, so is the cap, and pieces are being added.

The Packers haven´t added any pieces aside of Josh Francis and Kyle Sebetic to improve the team. I highly doubt any of these guys will even make the 53.

PackerFanInVa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the possible cut of Flynn yea they may look at a QB. I think long range goal looking though there should be some OL draft picks. That's my opinion.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

With the possible cut of Flynn yea they may look at a QB. I think long range goal looking though there should be some OL draft picks. That's my opinion.

The Packers return all five starters on the offensive line and will have Barclay and Tretter as primary backups. Thompson should think about adding another OL to the mix to compete for the final spot but there´s no dire need to spend an early pick on the position.

fritothedog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw the Petty thing last night. I am afraid that he will turn into a Graham Harrell. Looks good in the system he was in playing in college but not sure he will pan out in the pros. I certainly wouldn't want the first round pick to be a QB. I think the first two picks should be used to help the defense. If Petty is still there in third or fourth, give him a shot.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I saw the Petty thing last night. I am afraid that he will turn into a Graham Harrell. Looks good in the system he was in playing in college but not sure he will pan out in the pros. I certainly wouldn't want the first round pick to be a QB. I think the first two picks should be used to help the defense. If Petty is still there in third or fourth, give him a shot.

There´s absolutely no reason to spend a pick during the first two days of the draft on a QB. I would be fine with Thompson spending a late round pick on a developmental guy.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers return all five starters on the offensive line and will have Barclay and Tretter as primary backups. Thompson should think about adding another OL to the mix to compete for the final spot but there´s no dire need to spend an early pick on the position.
There are several reasons not to be thinking about an OL until the middle rounds.

- All of the OL starters are signed through 2016.

- I regard 4 of the 5 starters as above average players with Bakhtiari being adequate.

- A single injury is covered. Barclay is a proven adequate backup at RT, and can play either G position. Tretter was pegged as the starting center until his most recent injury and he'd have considerable help on either side if Linsley were injured. Bulaga can swing to the left side (as was the plan 2 seasons ago) with Barclay taking RT if Bakhtiari is injured.
Injuries to two starting players in the position group would be problematic given the current roster, but there simply are not enough resources to cover that eventuality with confidence in every position group.

- The Packers have had great success getting linemen out of the middle rounds on down: Sitton in the 4th., Lang in the 4th., Linsley in the 5th., Bakhtiari in the 4th. and Barclay as a UDFA.

The chief exposure in the one-injury scenario is Barclay. Since he's on an "original round" tender as a UDFA, there would be no compensation in the event he signed elsewhere with a team bettering the 1 year / $1.5 mil tender, with the window for such a signing closing after the draft. Lack of compensation eliminates a significant disincentive to improving on the tender. There a couple of reasons this scenario is unlikely. First, he's coming off an ACL. While the Packers may have insight into is rehab progression, others would be more in the dark. Second, he's not highly regarded enough to be targeted as other than a depth player. Third, the Packers could match a competing offer and keep him if push came to shove, especially since that offer would not be significantly more than the tender.

I agree that the Packers could use an 7th./8th. man upgrade to mitigate the damage in a two-injury scenario. We've seen the incumbents for those spots play a little and it has not been pretty. Even Tretter outside the C position (which we haven't even seen him play) is a dubious proposition.

I would look for the Packers to follow the path that has proven successful in the past...draft a college LT in the middle rounds who falls to that spot because he does not project well to the NFL tackle prototype (Lang, Barclay, Tretter and even Bakhtiari). That would be a guy to coach up for interior play, while also having the experience at LT as an emergency fill-in in the two-injury scenario.

This is arguably the strongest position group through the first backup. It's very hard to envision a 1st. through 3rd. round pick allocated to it. The franchise QB is a football player, too. One can't expect to wrap him in bubble paper in every conceivable scenario. He survived the loss of Bulaga and the Newsome/Sherrod turnstile. He'll have to do it again under an unlikely scenario.

H

HardRightEdge

There´s absolutely no reason to spend a pick during the first two days of the draft on a QB. I would be fine with Thompson spending a late round pick on a developmental guy.
I would be shocked and amazed if Thompson went for Petty (or anybody else) above the 4th. round, and slightly amazed if he were taken with the bottom of the 3rd. round pick.

There are two possible explanations for this peculiar visit.

First, Thompson might be interested in this player if he fell to an attractive, if unlikely, spot in the draft.

The second reason, which may sound peculiar but I would not discount, is taking the opportunity to go in depth into the workings of the spread offense QB with a guy who approximates what they're looking for in a middle round. Pro style QBs are becoming an endangered species in college ball. Coming to an understanding of which traits most likely indicate a successful transition and which do not would be a valuable exercise.

H

HardRightEdge

I think all picks have value. A compensatory 7th allows you to grab a guy that maybe you'd have competition for in UDFA. It also makes it more palatable to package your 6th and 7th in exchange for someone's 5th if there is a guy on your board that has slipped that Thompson likes.
All picks are of theoretical value. A bottom of the 7th. round pick is of "little or no value".

It's of little value inherently. It's of no value if the guy you pick would have signed with the team as a UDFA anyway.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not worth arguing about, but a drafted 7th rounder can't negotiate with another team and, as a practical matter, can't negotiate with the Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.