Packers notes

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dix picked up on it quite well. Dix is looking like a future all pro.

Two things: One, yeah, there are occasional players that can pull it off. That doesn't mean it's a good idea to plan for it. Two, Dix was a first round pick. Packers only get one of those this year. There are two starting positions on defense that are empty (and currently don't have any young, potential starters on the roster) and a key backup spot on defense that's empty. That's a lot of holes to fill with draft picks.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Jordy Nelson had his knee cleaned up in a procedure after the season, will take him six to eight weeks to recover.

EDIT: He actually had a procedure on his hip, Wes Hodkiewicz reported it the wrong way.

Last edited by a moderator:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy Nelson had his knee cleaned up in a procedure after the season, will take him six to eight weeks to recover.

Which would go a long way in explaining the slight and uncharacteristic decline in performance late in the season.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a big assumption.

Not really. Ive seen reports a Raji deal is close and there doesnt appear to be much of a market for Guion, who was more then serviceable last year, with a possible suspension looming

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You disagree with my post that it's as likely as not that Raji and Guion wouldn't be much more than serviceable, if that. Why?
Raji is coming off a serious injury- the kind that can reoccur easily- which caused him to miss all of last season. He also hasn't done much at all for quite some time now.
Guion is a career backup/journeyman, who while he had his moments, was up and down last season.
Curious as to your opinion.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have made another splash in free agency and signed safety Kyle Sebetic. He participated in the veteran combine on Sunday.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Not really. Ive seen reports a Raji deal is close and there doesnt appear to be much of a market for Guion, who was more then serviceable last year, with a possible suspension looming

Most of these rumors aren't accurate and as of now none of them has re-signed with the Packers.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

So we still haven't signed anyone is what you're saying ;)

Let me put it this way, I don't think he will factor into the Packers compensatory picks for next season.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
So Thompson signs free agents safety Kyle Sebetic and ILB Josh Francis from “other teams” and that’s not good enough??!!! Sheeeesh!!!

H

HardRightEdge

I would not be surprised if Thompson has put a number on the table for Raji. He had been rehabbing and working out in Green Bay; the team may have a handle on his readiness.

But there's recent experience in such matters that is being overlooked.

Thompson put a number on the table for Williams that was nearly half what CLE subsequently offered. Thompson countered with a number reportedly still nearly $2 mil less per year than the CLE offer. Williams went for the money, particularly that $10 mil guarantee, and who could blame him.

The Packers final offer to Cobb was reportedly $1 mil or more less than a competing offer. It was a happy circumstance that Cobb went for the discounted deal. Most don't.

These examples, and plenty of history, serve to illustrate that even if Thompson wants Raji, there's a good chance somebody will pay more, and he'll take it.

In fact any Packer player who is not extended prior to contract expiration (which has historically been at a discounted price) will be offered a below market deal (if there's any offer at all) prior to March 10, and invited to test free agency. It's been repeated nearly every year with starter-level players. So far, the only one I can recall to take a discount after free agency, as reported in the local press, has been Cobb.

H

HardRightEdge

So Thompson signs free agents safety Kyle Sebetic and ILB Josh Francis from “other teams” and that’s not good enough??!!! Sheeeesh!!!
I think this whole matter requires clarification.

It's been reported, even after Francis signed, that the Packers are the only team to not sign and "outside player" this off season. Clearly that's incorrect and requires qualification.

Francis has never even made it to an NFL training camp so far as I can tell. He had a rookie minicamp tryout with Detroit a couple of years ago. He must have been the arena league defensive player of the year.

Sebatic's NFL experience is limited to one week on the Giants practice squad.

So, the correct wording would be: "The Packers are the only team to not sign an outside player who's spent at least one day on a 53 man roster."

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're pretty much down to trades to improve this defense; trades for players at positions of need currently on other teams, and trading up in the draft to insure getting a possible day 1 impact player.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if Thompson has put a number on the table for Raji. He had been rehabbing and working out in Green Bay; the team may have a handle on his readiness.

But there's recent experience in such matters that is being overlooked.

Thompson put a number on the table for Williams that was nearly half what CLE subsequently offered. Thompson countered with a number reportedly still nearly $2 mil less per year than the CLE offer. Williams went for the money, particularly that $10 mil guarantee, and who could blame him.

The Packers final offer to Cobb was reportedly $1 mil or more less than a competing offer. It was a happy circumstance that Cobb went for the discounted deal. Most don't.

These examples, and plenty of history, serve to illustrate that even if Thompson wants Raji, there's a good chance somebody will pay more, and he'll take it.

In fact any Packer player who is not extended prior to contract expiration (which has historically been at a discounted price) will be offered a below market deal (if there's any offer at all) prior to March 10, and invited to test free agency. It's been repeated nearly every year with starter-level players. So far, the only one I can recall to take a discount after free agency, as reported in the local press, has been Cobb.

Well it was reported Bulaga took less money to sign with us also. I do agree with the premise that untill the signature is on the contract nothings certain. Im only saying the I am confident a deal will get done and theres been signs its close. Thats all.

And thats the crux of the matter. "If" we retain both Raji and Guion I dont see a big reason to panic as ive been reading comming from people that are worried we have to many holes to fill via the draft unless TT knocks it of the park. At that point its one starter (ILB) and a reserve (#4/dime CB). One stater n a reserve is not this monster of a hole that TT needs to sign a FA vet to climb out of.

A return to NT should help Immensley with Raji as hes played out of position at DE alot his last few healthy years and Guion was servicable last year. Not great but definatly servicable at NT.

Now if either Raji or Guion aren't retained then ill agree then we defenatly have something to worry about as NTs dont grow on trees but worring about something that hasnt happened yet is an exercise in futility to me. Really I dont even expect Guion to be signed till after the draft as I think at TT will sign Raji and then hold off on Guion to see if a NT falls in the draft.

That is a plan not unheard of. In fact most FAs that arent signed yet are most likely in a holding pattern till after the draft. It happens every year. Theres not a huge rush to sign any of these guys right now so lets see where the dust settles. Thats all im saying

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
We're pretty much down to trades to improve this defense; trades for players at positions of need currently on other teams, and trading up in the draft to insure getting a possible day 1 impact player.
Or the young players that were redshirted and toiling out of the media limelight this past season are actually capable of being at least average NFL starters.

H

HardRightEdge

The plan is unfolding beautifully.

Thompson signed Francis to plug the hole at ILB. Sebetic was a 4-year starter at CB at Dayton. Two holes down, one to go.

A highly placed insider is saying that the Pro Personnel Department has been intensively scouting the one thousand semi-pro, minor league, professional development, senior amateur, and adult amateur teams playing in over sixty different leagues in search of a nose tackle.

Their work is not in vain. Rumor has it Thompson is very close to an agreement with Henry "Scow" Pistkowtomazinskowitz of the Staten Island Barge Barrons of the Outer Borough Adult Amateur League. The 457 lb. nose tackle was a one year starter at Piscataway Teachers College before being kicked off the team for "excessive dining".

The 24 year old Pistkowtomazinskowitz says he's been working in an elite rehab and conditioning program and claims he's fully recovered from type 2 diabetes and a double knee replacement.

The aforementioned insider is also saying that Thompson plans to trade his first, second and third round picks in the upcoming 2015 draft in a series of transactions in exchange for the entire 6th. round, the entire 7th. round, and a high 4th. rounder.

H

HardRightEdge

Please name a non-starter who has any trade value. Thompson would have to trade a pick or picks to get a decent veteran player.

In order to move up to the 10 spot in the draft, Thompson would need to give up both the 2015 and the 2016 first rounders, with maybe a mid-round kicker.

How plausible are either of those scenarios?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I think this whole matter requires clarification.

It's been reported, even after Francis signed, that the Packers are the only team to not sign and "outside player" this off season. Clearly that's incorrect and requires qualification.

Francis has never even made it to an NFL training camp so far as I can tell. He had a rookie minicamp tryout with Detroit a couple of years ago. He must have been the arena league defensive player of the year.

Sebatic's NFL experience is limited to one week on the Giants practice squad.

So, the correct wording would be: "The Packers are the only team to not sign an outside player who's spent at least one day on a 53 man roster."

Francis spent time with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL in 2014 but it seems like he never played a game for the team. The 2015 Indoor Football League started after he signed with the Packers. It seems like he hasn´t played a single down of competitive football in two years.

Sebetic played 13 snaps during the preseason for the Giants in 2014.

There are still several prospects at ILB and NT available in free agency.

I do agree with the premise that untill the signature is on the contract nothings certain. A return to NT should help Immensley with Raji as hes played out of position at DE alot his last few healthy years and Guion was servicable last year. Not great but definatly servicable at NT.

Now if either Raji or Guion aren't retained then ill agree then we defenatly have something to worry about as NTs dont grow on trees but worring about something that hasnt happened yet is an exercise in futility to me.

Assuming something that hasn´t happened yet to be a sure thing doesn´t make any sense to me though.

Raji last played NT for a full season in 2011 and was terrible (please don´t bring up his Pro Bowl selection that year as that only further proved the game is a complete joke). Just moving him back to the nose won´t result in him being an impact player again. He will have to be motivated for an entire season, something he hasn´t been able to do for a long time.

Or the young players that were redshirted and toiling out of the media limelight this past season are actually capable of being at least average NFL starters.

I don´t have high hopes for any of the young guys at ILB who weren´t able to get on the field last season when the position was in complete disarray. The coaches didn´t think any of them was good enough to be an upgrade in 2014 so I have a hard time trusting any of them to be the long term solution.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please name a non-starter who has any trade value. Thompson would have to trade a pick or picks to get a decent veteran player.

In order to move up to the 10 spot in the draft, Thompson would need to give up both the 2015 and the 2016 first rounders, with maybe a mid-round kicker.

How plausible are either of those scenarios?

I am talking about draft picks, and I agree with you that it's not very plausible. But for me, if I could get an upgrade at ILB, for example, for a 3rd or 4th rounder, I'd have to seriously consider it.
If I learn that one of the guys (or all) of them I want in the 1st round will be gone when I pick, then I'd consider trading up to make sure I got them.
It's a broad brush kind of point I'm trying to make, but if this team is considered to be in a tightly packed group of 3-5 top title contenders, then you have to be aggressive in shoring up your weaknesses, by any and all means available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts