Packers need better results this season to justify Thompson's blueprint

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of fans thought Thompson would release Peppers because of the move resulting in a significant amount of cap savings yet he's still on the team. I expect the same to happen with Shields as well.
Really didn't need to cut Peppers because TT was able to easily re-sign everyone he wanted. Next year that may not be the case which may result in us getting 4 compensation draft picks in 18.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Really didn't need to cut Peppers because TT was able to easily re-sign everyone he wanted. Next year that may not be the case which may result in us getting 4 compensation draft picks in 18.

It's probable the Packers will receive several compensatory picks in 2018 for players leaving in free agency next offseason.

We were discussing about the possibility of Shields either getting traded or released. The Packers dealing or cutting him wouldn't factor into the compensatory picks though.

gemoran4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be completely surprised if we traded/released Shields. TT doesn't seem to have a problem moving on from DBs when he feels like he won't get particularly good value for them (Davon House, Casey Heyward, Tramon Williams, etc). That being said, he did resign Shields to a 4 year $39 million contract so perhaps he's more the exception here.

I will say Burnett might also be a guy who we considering moving/releasing though. We are paying him $7 million next year, and while I don't dislike him I'm not convinced he's worth that price. Freeing up $5-$6 million would give us about $30 million or so of free cap space overall to work with (according to "http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers"...may not be entirely accurate though).

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I wouldn't be completely surprised if we traded/released Shields. TT doesn't seem to have a problem moving on from DBs when he feels like he won't get particularly good value for them (Davon House, Casey Heyward, Tramon Williams, etc). That being said, he did resign Shields to a 4 year $39 million contract so perhaps he's more the exception here.

I will say Burnett might also be a guy who we considering moving/releasing though. We are paying him $7 million next year, and while I don't dislike him I'm not convinced he's worth that price. Freeing up $5-$6 million would give us about $30 million or so of free cap space overall to work with (according to "http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers"...may not be entirely accurate though).

Thompson has let several cornerbacks walk away in free agency but hasn't traded or released the team's #1 to save cap space. With the Packers lack of depth at safety there's absolutely no way the team will get rid of Burnett next offseason.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Thompson has let several cornerbacks walk away in free agency but hasn't traded or released the team's #1 to save cap space. With the Packers lack of depth at safety there's absolutely no way the team will get rid of Burnett next offseason.
Yeah I don't think they would trade him either if Shields is still clearly the best CB after 16. I can see either Shields or Burnett being released if they were to lose a lot of time to injury this year. Not saying it is likely but it wouldn't surprise me at all. I don't think either one is irreplaceable.

gemoran4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

While you're first statement isn't technically wrong, i'd still claim the argument is a bit meaningless in the bigger picture. It doesn't change the fact he let young productive corners go (And yes i realize tramon williams wasn't young), and we drafted corners in the 1st and 2nd round. I imagine TT drafted them with the idea that they could be our #1 and #2 corners.

For your second statement, i'll use the same argument you use to claim Shields won't be released. Ted Thompson HAS gotten rid of a starting safety to save cap space (Darren Sharper), even though at that time we didn't exactly have depth either (we ended up getting Nick Collins in the draft, but that wasn't until after that move was made). I think your argument that "there's absolutely no way" TT would make that move I think is a stronger opinion then I would hold personally. I don't think he will, but I'd say the possibility exists.

But let me reiterate before you mistaken me. I'm not saying trading/releasing shields and/or burnett is the right move to make or that I see it actually happening. I'm more arguing that the possibility (as miniscule of a possibility as it may be) absolutely exists.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah I don't think they would trade him either if Shields is still clearly the best CB after 16. I can see either Shields or Burnett being released if they were to lose a lot of time to injury this year. Not saying it is likely but it wouldn't surprise me at all. I don't think either one is irreplaceable.

While you're first statement isn't technically wrong, i'd still claim the argument is a bit meaningless in the bigger picture. It doesn't change the fact he let young productive corners go (And yes i realize tramon williams wasn't young), and we drafted corners in the 1st and 2nd round. I imagine TT drafted them with the idea that they could be our #1 and #2 corners.

For your second statement, i'll use the same argument you use to claim Shields won't be released. Ted Thompson HAS gotten rid of a starting safety to save cap space (Darren Sharper), even though at that time we didn't exactly have depth either (we ended up getting Nick Collins in the draft, but that wasn't until after that move was made). I think your argument that "there's absolutely no way" TT would make that move I think is a stronger opinion then I would hold personally. I don't think he will, but I'd say the possibility exists.

But let me reiterate before you mistaken me. I'm not saying trading/releasing shields and/or burnett is the right move to make or that I see it actually happening. I'm more arguing that the possibility (as miniscule of a possibility as it may be) absolutely exists.

The depth chart at safety currently includes Chris Banjo and three undrafted rookies behind Burnett and Clinton-Dix. After it took Thompson several years marred by terrible performances at the position to adequately replace Collins there's no way he will split up one of the best safety tandems in the league.

It might be a different situation at cornerback as long as Randall, Rollins and Gunter make that second year jump. Thompson despises dead money counting against the cap so I don't see it happening either.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

That's pretty much the way I see it. I'm not convinced that either Shields or Burnett will be the best player in their position group after 16 season. The growth and development of the young players behind them will go a long way in determining their future in Green Bay. I would be surprised if either Burnett or Shields improves greatly from here on out. I would love to see whether Charles Woodson as a consultant could bring out better play in both of them.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've scalded Ted Thompson here and elsewhere over the years. For the first time in a long time I didn't disagree with one of his off-season moves and the draft. It all made sense. The only exception might be Perry vs. Neal, but that's another story.
That said, each year, 31 teams are disappointed in not winning the championship. It is very difficult to win it all and no team is going to win it every year.
While many fans focus on the offense, what has been the Achilles' heel has been the defense. He signed a free agent to help out, and drafted some good prospects for the defensive interior.
But the problem always has been the youth of the team. When push came to shove(last year was an example) there were rookies competing against veterans and they didn't hold up in the playoffs. The turnover is severe enough each year that the core most of the time never stays whole. One of Lombardi's virtues was he kept his core players together(prior to free agency). I think Thompson is so keen on the future that he forgets the now, and the NFL is a great example of 'what have you done for me lately?'.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

That's pretty much the way I see it. I'm not convinced that either Shields or Burnett will be the best player in their position group after 16 season. The growth and development of the young players behind them will go a long way in determining their future in Green Bay. I would be surprised if either Burnett or Shields improves greatly from here on out. I would love to see whether Charles Woodson as a consultant could bring out better play in both of them.

The Packers would need to have an adequate replacement on the roster to be able to release either Shields or Burnett. While there's a possibility that might work at cornerback the team doesn't have even close to enough talent at safety for it to make any sense.

The only exception might be Perry vs. Neal, but that's another story.

I'm absolutely fine with the Packers keeping Perry instead of Neal. Thompson overpaid to retain him though.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I swear that Captain gets in the most arguments on this forum hahah.

:D
That's not a bad thing. He posts a lot. As long as the arguments stay fairly civil and don't get out of hand, they contribute to the life of our forum. If an OP said; "The moon is made of green cheese", then for 20 posts after that everyone said; "Agree". It would be pretty dog gone boring. ;)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've scalded Ted Thompson here and elsewhere over the years. For the first time in a long time I didn't disagree with one of his off-season moves and the draft. It all made sense.

Funny, I feel just the opposite. I've long been a Thompson supporter and was underwhelmed by some of his off season moves this year.

The draft, whatever, I wanted Myles, but that's something that will take a couple years to judge anyway.

My feelings on Crosby are well published, but I feel there was a LOT of wasted spending this offseason.

Lane Taylor is a bubble O-lineman who very well may not make this team. How Thompson thought he was worth over 2M a year on a multi year deal is a mystery to me.

Starks essentially doubled his salary for the same production at a higher age despite the RB market remaining flat.

Perry, while I wanted him back, was an overpay at 5M a year, and probably an unnecessary one with Jones moving to OLB, as long as Matthews and Peppers aren't suspended.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've scalded Ted Thompson here and elsewhere over the years. For the first time in a long time I didn't disagree with one of his off-season moves and the draft. It all made sense. The only exception might be Perry vs. Neal, but that's another story.
That said, each year, 31 teams are disappointed in not winning the championship. It is very difficult to win it all and no team is going to win it every year.
While many fans focus on the offense, what has been the Achilles' heel has been the defense. He signed a free agent to help out, and drafted some good prospects for the defensive interior.
But the problem always has been the youth of the team. When push came to shove(last year was an example) there were rookies competing against veterans and they didn't hold up in the playoffs. The turnover is severe enough each year that the core most of the time never stays whole. One of Lombardi's virtues was he kept his core players together(prior to free agency). I think Thompson is so keen on the future that he forgets the now, and the NFL is a great example of 'what have you done for me lately?'.

First, it was much easier to keep players before free agency. Teams could keep anyone they wanted easily.

Two, yeah there's a lot of roster turnover (like there is with every team), but TT keeps the core players together as well as anyone.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
First, it was much easier to keep players before free agency. Teams could keep anyone they wanted easily.

Two, yeah there's a lot of roster turnover (like there is with every team), but TT keeps the core players together as well as anyone.
Agree very much with this. Imo, there is a rather wide chasm here in how the word "core" is defined. I personally think that term is defined as the 6-8 top guys on the roster. After that, we're talking about role players imo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Agree very much with this. Imo, there is a ratherwide chasm here in how the word "core" is defined. I personally think that term is defined as the 6-8 top guys on the roster. After that, we're talking about role players imo.

While I agree there aren't more core players the rest of the starters are more important than role players.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
While I agree there aren't more core players the rest of the starters are more important than role players.
Lol, now I guess we need a common definition for "role players".

Edit: some starters are more important than others. Some starters are also more easily replaced than others. We don't even know who the opening day 22 starters will be yet. Imo, some starters are "role players".

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts