Packers need better results this season to justify Thompson's blueprint

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just want to clarify that though I've probably been lumped into the Thompson can do no wrong crowd, I think there is a middle ground where one can appreciate his work and defend his work, while still having beliefs that there are things he would have done differently without using negative and biting prose to do so.

I go back to the following truth which imo is important to keep in mind, his peers and industry insiders consider him to be an elite level GM.
Exactly. But you have to understand Wimm is under the impression he knows more than TT about running a football team.

Recently I got into an argument about TT and I posted a link to an article supporting my view about TT being the best GM. He complained that he didn't care what experts think. But of course, he finds an article negative towards TT and HE posts it suddenly caring about what an 'expert' thinks.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Exactly. But you have to understand Wimm is under the impression he knows more than TT about running a football team.

Recently I got into an argument about TT and I posted a link to an article supporting my view about TT being the best GM. He complained that he didn't care what experts think. But of course, he finds an article negative towards TT and HE posts it suddenly caring about what an 'expert' thinks.

Once again you're making things up.

I don't think my knowledge is anywhere close to Thompson on how to run a football team but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to criticize him. None of the posters here have ever coached or played football at the professional level yet you have no problem with the coaching staff and players being criticized on the forum.

My quote about not caring what experts think was in response to a lot of them having the Packers as one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl not about a link you posted to Thompson being the best GM in the league.

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/tt-needs-to-go.65055/page-28#post-657729

Another thing you made up to sound more credible.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There haven't been any posts about Thompson being perfect

It has to be tough for the Thompson can do no wrong crowd
So if there is a TT can do no wrong, but there are no posts saying he is perfect, what are you trying t0 say?

El Guapo had an idea there for you. Why don't you just lay off TT for a year and pick on Rodgers. Create thread after thread of criticism of AR. Pick on every interception and lament not having a QB as good as can be. If any poster defends him you can complain that they think AR is perfect and only you are 'smart' enough to be rational in your critique. You can go on about how great Brady, Brees and Newton and yearn for a QB who was more complete like they are.

TT is a part of the Packers, he is a Packer. He is an important cog in the wheel to the overall success of the organization. Your continual complaining about one of the most successful GMs in the NFL is tiresome and ignorant. It is an attack on the entire Packer organiziation, same as if you attacked AR as I suggested above.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think my knowledge is anywhere close to Thompson on how to run a football team but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to criticize him.
Translation: I have little idea about what I am talking about but I don't let that stop me from telling him how to do his job better.
None of the posters here have ever coached or played football at the professional level . . .
Are you sure?
My quote about not caring what experts think was in response to a lot of them having the Packers as one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl not about a link you posted to Thompson being the best GM in the league.

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/tt-needs-to-go.65055/page-28#post-657729
Now you are posting a link to an expert you can trust, me!

You just don't get it, eh??? I don't care what the experts think.

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/tt-needs-to-go.65055/page-28#post-657769

That's the post right there. Not the link you tried to link to.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

So if there is a TT can do no wrong, but there are no posts saying he is perfect, what are you trying t0 say?

I'm weary of posters like you getting after other fans that dare to criticize Thompson without even thinking about if there might be some truth to it. You don't have to post that he's perfect as you will never admit he could have even made the slightest mistake.

Of course you continue to ignore me saying that he's one of the best GMs in the league. That doesn't make he makes no mistakes, which is obviously impossible for you to grasp.

El Guapo had an idea there for you. Why don't you just lay off TT for a year and pick on Rodgers. Create thread after thread of criticism of AR. Pick on every interception and lament not having a QB as good as can be. If any poster defends him you can complain that they think AR is perfect and only you are 'smart' enough to be rational in your critique. You can go on about how great Brady, Brees and Newton and yearn for a QB who was more complete like they are.

TT is a part of the Packers, he is a Packer. He is an important cog in the wheel to the overall success of the organization. Your continual complaining about one of the most successful GMs in the NFL is tiresome and ignorant. It is an attack on the entire Packer organiziation, same as if you attacked AR as I suggested above.

A lot of posters have (rightfully) criticized Rodgers for not performing at an elite level during the playoffs but I can't remember you attacking all of them because they were ignorant. Other players and coaches have been thrown under the bus by posters on several occasions as well yet no complaining by you.

Of course once again you made up something as I haven't created any threads for the sole purpose of criticizing your boy Teddy in ages.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Translation: I have little idea about what I am talking about but I don't let that stop me from telling him how to do his job better.

Well, I know there are three ways to upgrade a roster and Thompson mostly only uses one of them. If you would be able to form your own opinion you would realize that puts the Packers at a disadvantage .

That's the post right there. Not the link you tried to link to.

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/tt-needs-to-go.65055/page-28#post-657769

That post was in response to experts predicting the Packers being a Super Bowl favorite as well and not you posting a link to a story about Thompson being the best GM.

Other than this one?

Before you decided to chime in the discussion about Thompson's tenure in this thread was on a pretty decent level and the reason I opened it wasn't to downplay TT's contributions to the team.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The beauty of the TT method is that the roster maintains a very high level of talent. There is no reason to think that the Packers wobt be contenders over the next few years.

The linked article is shallow and biased and is based on the same ignorant misconception of reality as some posters here.

With a tight cap and all the key players up for free agency next year, it's likely the team takes a step back. Core players aren't getting any younger, either. Hence my thought that this year could be their best shot, maybe for a while.
Also, the idea that as long as Rodgers is the QB this team is a Super Bowl contender isn't one I agree with wholeheartedly. Does anyone reviewing last season conclude that this team was in reality a legit SB contender? I don't.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

With a tight cap and all the key players up for free agency next year, it's likely the team takes a step back. Core players aren't getting any younger, either. Hence my thought that this year could be their best shot, maybe for a while.
Also, the idea that as long as Rodgers is the QB this team is a Super Bowl contender isn't one I agree with wholeheartedly. Does anyone reviewing last season conclude that this team was in reality a legit SB contender? I don't.

As long as Rodgers plays on an elite level the Packers are a Super Bowl contender. Obviously he didn't perform up to expectations last season.

You're right about that with a lot of core players headed towards free agency and limited cap space available it's possible the team will take a step backwards in 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But we have more core players coming on-line. Daniels and Clinton- dix will be seen as indispensible by seasons end. And who knows maybe another 1 or 2 are going to step in and contribute in a big way.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

But we have more core players coming on-line. Daniels and Clinton- dix will be seen as indispensible by seasons end. And who knows maybe another 1 or 2 are going to step in and contribute in a big way.

That doesn't change the fact that the offensive line as well as outside linebacker will have to be addressed with limited cap space.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's gonna be tough, Amish. We're finally having to face what many other teams have- holes opening up, not enough money to fill them all.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's true but the defense could have kept the Seahawks out of the end zone to win that game as well. Unfortunately they weren't able to because of a lack of talent at inside linebacker.

The defense was able to do so for 56 minutes before giving up 3 TDs on consecutive drives. They had the talent to stop the Seahawks, but didn't put it together at the end of the game.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The defense was able to do so for 56 minutes before giving up 3 TDs on consecutive drives. They had the talent to stop the Seahawks, but didn't put it together at the end of the game.

The Packers defense being able to dominate the Seahawks for most of the NFCCG actually supports my claim that the team would have won at Seattle with only mediocre inside linebackers on the roster. Capers unit didn't give up any points as long as Matthews, an average ILB at best, was able to play. Without him on the field the defense gave up 15 points within four minutes.

On top of that Brad Jones and A.J. Hawk were to blame for the Seahawks scoring on the fake field goal attempt.

In my opinion Thompson doesn't deserve any credit for Matthews being moved inside but should be criticized he didn't provide Capers with more talent at the position in the first place making it necessary to move the team's best defensive player around.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Imo, We've got new players that are in the process of developing into core players. I don't expect the team to take a step back after this year. I'd be very surprised if we fielded an 8-8 team in '17.

We were one play and 3 yards from playing for a berth in the super bowl. Imo, that certainly makes us a contender.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Imo, We've got new players that are in the process of developing into core layers. I don't expect the team to take a step back after this year. I'd be very surprised if we fielded an 8-8 team in '17.

We were one play and 3 yards from playing for a berth in the super bowl. Imo, that certainly makes us a contender.

I haven't seen a single poster predicting the Packers will drop to 8-8 or worse in 2017. There's no denying though that the offensive line and outside linebackers will undergo an overhaul next offseason and it's at least possible the units will tale a step back.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just think it is time to invest in ONE outside FA. I really thought that this was the year to do it. Not endorsing a 15m per year or so contract to a Malik Jackson type of player, but I really thought a Trevathan type of deal made tons of sense for this team.

Also really want to see the packers pick a WR in the first round. That also could've been done this season. TT could've signed a DT to replace Raji, and that player most likely would've provided more of an impact than Clark will this season.
Then TT could've drafted Michael Thomas from Ohio State, maybe move up a few slots and drafted Treadwell or Doctson. I'm sure Washington would've moved back a few spots, they had LB and Safety needs and would've been fine passing up on Doctson.

And this is where people usually will say, "signing FA doesn't guarantee anything."
And i am with you on that. But nothing is guaranteed one way or the other. Seasons come down to 4 or 5 MAYBE 1 play out of the 1500 or so you run all year. That has been exactly the case with these packers. Signing one guy to fill a need isn't going to ruin anything.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't seen a single poster predicting the Packers will drop to 8-8 or worse in 2017. There's no denying though that the offensive line and outside linebackers will undergo an overhaul next offseason and it's at least possible the units will tale a step back.
8-8 is what I'd call the team taking a step back.
Yes, following the 16 season there will be changes I'm sure. Just like every off-season

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

8-8 is what I'd call the team taking a step back.
Yes, following the 16 season there will be changes I'm sure. Just like every off-season

The changes after the 2016 season will be more wide-ranging than in past seasons though.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I just think it is time to invest in ONE outside FA. I really thought that this was the year to do it. Not endorsing a 15m per year or so contract to a Malik Jackson type of player, but I really thought a Trevathan type of deal made tons of sense for this team.

Also really want to see the packers pick a WR in the first round. That also could've been done this season. TT could've signed a DT to replace Raji, and that player most likely would've provided more of an impact than Clark will this season.
Then TT could've drafted Michael Thomas from Ohio State, maybe move up a few slots and drafted Treadwell or Doctson. I'm sure Washington would've moved back a few spots, they had LB and Safety needs and would've been fine passing up on Doctson.

Thompson not even picking up the phone to talk to Trevathan was disappointing. With Nelson hopefully returning to full health there was no reason to select a wide receiver in the first round of the draft though.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I swear that Captain gets in the most arguments on this forum hahah.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson not even picking up the phone to talk to Trevathan was disappointing. With Nelson hopefully returning to full health there was no reason to select a wide receiver in the first round of the draft though.

Yea that was truly disappointing. Not crazy bad or anything. Well survive. But why not even try to bring him in? An instant starter at ILB from the super bowl winning defense. Seemed like a perfect match, ability and money wise.

Yea I the see nelson point. Thing is, our eggs are entirely in the "Jordy Nelson 100% back to normal" basket. Sure the odds are in our favor that he does indeed comeback the same, but what if he doesn't? I sure as hell would've loved to over compensate on the wr position and make sure last season doesn't repeat itself.

Best case: Jordy comes back fine, and a potential star in the making 1st round talent is right there waiting in the wings and probably contributing as a 3rd or 4th wr. And by the time Jordy's days are done, you have his replacement already.

Worst case: Jordy isn't the same, or he has taken a step back, or he get's hurt again. Bottom line there is no guarantee Jordy comes back the same. Look at victor cruz for example, guy just can't get back on the field. One injury spiraled into another and another for him. What if this knee tendonitis that jordy reportedly has lingers into this year and before you know it he is out the the 2016 picture.
Then you have that 1st rounder to fall back on. Cobb Adams Janis Abby Davis Monty. Better Wr core than last season.
No guarantee that 1st rounder does anything, yes that's true. Do I like the chances that he does something with Rodgers at QB? Yes of course. These 1st round WR talents have been unreal from day 1 as of late.

Bottom line. I do not think we had to rely on the chance Jordy comes back the same. Even if it is a good chance he does. It was a risk we could've easily avoided by making a few more moves in FA.

1)Sign a DT to replace Raji so you don't have to draft one.
2) Sign a ILB so you don't have to draft one.

And I think you have a better team after doing one or both of those things.

Imagine signing Mebane, Knighton, or Red Bryant to replace Raji. Trevathan to fill the ILB spot. Then draft Thomas, Treadwell, or Doctson.

Can't tell me that wouldn't of been an ideal situation.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hopefully this guy spriggs lessens the potential blow to the Oline. Even though Sitton and Lang are guards, for some reason I think those two will be all for a fair deal to stay. Don't think they will be due for an absurd raise. Lang probably due for 7-8 mill range? Sitton at 31, 6-7 mill range. That is Peppers money and a few mill.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Yea I the see nelson point. Thing is, our eggs are entirely in the "Jordy Nelson 100% back to normal" basket. Sure the odds are in our favor that he does indeed comeback the same, but what if he doesn't? I sure as hell would've loved to over compensate on the wr position and make sure last season doesn't repeat itself.

Best case: Jordy comes back fine, and a potential star in the making 1st round talent is right there waiting in the wings and probably contributing as a 3rd or 4th wr. And by the time Jordy's days are done, you have his replacement already.

Worst case: Jordy isn't the same, or he has taken a step back, or he get's hurt again. Bottom line there is no guarantee Jordy comes back the same. Look at victor cruz for example, guy just can't get back on the field. One injury spiraled into another and another for him. What if this knee tendonitis that jordy reportedly has lingers into this year and before you know it he is out the the 2016 picture.
Then you have that 1st rounder to fall back on. Cobb Adams Janis Abby Davis Monty. Better Wr core than last season.
No guarantee that 1st rounder does anything, yes that's true. Do I like the chances that he does something with Rodgers at QB? Yes of course. These 1st round WR talents have been unreal from day 1 as of late.

Bottom line. I do not think we had to rely on the chance Jordy comes back the same. Even if it is a good chance he does. It was a risk we could've easily avoided by making a few more moves in FA.

Imagine signing Mebane, Knighton, or Red Bryant to replace Raji. Trevathan to fill the ILB spot. Then draft Thomas, Treadwell, or Doctson.

Don't get me wrong, I would have liked to draft another potential great pass catcher for Rodgers to throw to but after Thompson didn't address nose tackle and inside linebacker in free agency those were the positions in demand of an upgrade at #27.

TT not using free agency more often to address obvious positions of need is my biggest criticism about the Packers general manager.

I wouldn't have been interested in any of the defensive linemen or the receivers aside of Doctson you mentioned though.

Hopefully this guy spriggs lessens the potential blow to the Oline. Even though Sitton and Lang are guards, for some reason I think those two will be all for a fair deal to stay. Don't think they will be due for an absurd raise. Lang probably due for 7-8 mill range? Sitton at 31, 6-7 mill range. That is Peppers money and a few mill.

The Packers most likely won't have enough cap space next offseason to re-sign both of the current starters at guard.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea that was truly disappointing. Not crazy bad or anything. Well survive. But why not even try to bring him in? An instant starter at ILB from the super bowl winning defense. Seemed like a perfect match, ability and money wise.

Would have been hard to sign two starters and keep the cap okay, especially with all the free agents coming up next season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts