IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Help is available at defensive tackle
Holsey, Simon on the market
By BOB McGINN and TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: Aug. 28, 2005

Green Bay - Exceedingly thin at defensive tackle, the Green Bay Packers will audition veteran Bernard Holsey today as they ponder whether to make a bold move for former Eagle Corey Simon

Holsey, 31, has been out of football for a year since starting 16 games at both defensive tackle positions for Washington in 2003. The Redskins defensive line coach in '03 was Robert Nunn, who is in his first year coaching the Packers' defensive tackles. In seven seasons, Holsey (6 feet 2 inches, 300 pounds) has started 33 of 104 games for four teams. He underwent surgery for a torn quadriceps tendon suffered working out during the '04 off-season and had to sit out the year.

Holsey appears healthy now and Green Bay is the first team to bring him in. The Packers also had Holsey in for a workout in July 2003 before he signed with Washington.

The Packers could know more about their tenuous situation at the position later this afternoon because Grady Jackson and CletidusHunt are scheduled to practice in pads. Jackson (knee) will need to be taken off the physically unable to perform list. Hunt hasn't practiced since Aug. 5 because of knee problems and a bad shoulder.

Both players have been working out on their own and won't be rushed back to full-time duty this week. On Sunday, Hunt hit the blocking sled in pads with coordinator Jim Bates at his side offering one-on-one instruction.

Simon became a "street" free agent Sunday night when Philadelphia, citing superior depth at defensive tackle, abruptly withdrew its $5.134 million franchise-player designation that they placed on him Feb. 22.

Former general manager Ron Wolf was extremely high on Simon before the 2000 draft but didn't have the ammunition to trade up before the Eagles took him with the No. 6 selection. Simon, who has played 78 of a possible 80 games in five seasons, has 32 sacks.

On Sunday night, Simon told the Trenton (N.J.) Times that more than a few teams which he wouldn't identify already had called and made attractive offers.

"I'll be somewhere soon," Simon said. "The season starts in a week and I don't want to miss any games. There are still teams with money. I'm getting better offers than the Eagles would have given me. I'm going to make a lot of money."

The Packers are about $3 million under the salary cap but might be able to find a way to sign Simon if he would accept a two-tier signing bonus. In April, Simon refused to accept a $12 million signing bonus from Baltimore, scuttling a trade.

There isn't much doubt that Simon, a penetrating type player with great quickness, would become the Packers' No. 1 player on defense.

The Ravens easily could get back in the running for the 28-year-old Simon. Buffalo, Cincinnati and San Francisco also reportedly have expressed interest in the past.

Roster moves: In addition to veteran linebacker Hannibal Navies and guard Matt O'Dwyer, the Packers waived nine other players Sunday.

The listed included guard Atlas Herrion, wide receivers Vince Butler and Chad Lucas, tight end Tory Humphrey, running back Derrick Johnese, defensive tackles A.J. Lindsay and Quintene Newhouse, linebacker Jeremiah Garrison and cornerback PatrickDendy.

Herrion, a second-year free agent from Alabama, spent considerable time at right guard with the No. 1 offense during the first two weeks of camp. The Packers ultimately concluded that he wasn't strong enough.

The moves reduced the Packers' roster to 78 players. They must remove two more players from the roster by 3 p.m. Tuesday to reach the 65-man limit. Recently signed Bubba Franks is in a roster-exempt category, and the team has 10 roster exemptions stemming from NFL Europe League participation that don't expire until the final cut Sept. 4.

Shuffle board: The Packers moved veteran Grey Ruegamer to right guard for the first time in camp and allowed him to split snaps with rookie Will Whitticker, but it's unclear how serious they are about him competing for the starting job.

Offensive coordinator Tom Rossley said, "It's just knowing 'Ruegie' can play a lot of spots."

The need for another right guard arose when the Packers released veteran O'Dwyer. He wasn't playing well enough to compete for a starting job and the Packers wanted to stick with younger players with better upsides.

Offensive line coach Larry Beightol said he sent Ruegamer into the New England game Friday at right guard to play the final three snaps and then lobbied to have him take snaps there in practice this week. Throughout camp, Ruegamer has played left guard and center, but Beightol said he's versatile enough to play any of the three inside positions.

It wouldn't be out of the question for Ruegamer to win the right guard position if Whitticker doesn't bounce back from a bad game. But more than likely it's a chance for Ruegamer to solidify a roster spot by showing that he can back three spots on the line.

At left guard, the competition between Adrian Klemm and Scott Wells continues. The two split snaps in practice and will battle it out this week for a chance to start. The coaches hoped to have both guard positions solidified by now, but there have been no clear-cut winners.

Second thoughts: Rossley wasn't tipping his hand about which quarterback will back up Brett Favre when the regular season starts.

"I think that will be announced when the time is right," he said. "We'll let you know."

Rookie Aaron Rodgers has been given every opportunity to win the job, getting 15 series in three games, but he has failed to lead the offense to any points and has a 19.4 passer rating. Craig Nall has shown more poise in his limited playing time and will get a solid shot at winning the job in the exhibition finale against Tennessee.

Rodgers, however, isn't out of the picture and showed some improvement against New England.

Short yardage: Coach Mike Sherman said that defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (stinger) would be held out of contact this week, but receiver Antonio Chatman (neck) had a pretty good chance of playing against Tennessee . . . Wide receiver Terrence Murphy (knee) is at least two weeks away from returning and doubtful for the season opener . . . Sherman said several players with family in New Orleans might have been distracted during practice because they were worried about family members in the path of Hurricane Katrina. The team has been trying aid the players in reaching their families by telephone, Sherman said.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I'll be somewhere soon," Simon said. "The season starts in a week and I don't want to miss any games. There are still teams with money. I'm getting better offers than the Eagles would have given me. I'm going to make a lot of money."
Love of the game. If the pack picks him up, I can see him holding out already next year.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack should only pick Simon up on one year offer. This is not a good time for Simon to be looking for a team and being cut by Eagles was surprise to him and his agent. Simon likely will be open to a one year deal to get in better negotiating position next year.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan said:
Love of the game. If the pack picks him up, I can see him holding out already next year.

Exactly. Sounds just like a young Grady Jackson. I say leave him alone and let him be somebody else's headache. Maybe next year they will find the DT they are looking for through the draft, who knows?

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if you sign both of them, your defense suddenly become legitimate. Find the cap room and sign them both and then we can make a run for the Superbowl because we'll be a lot stronger.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the fact Green Bay is aggresively looking to up-grade the D-line.

It also lets some of the present players (we know who they are) know if you do not perform, you can and will be replaced.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts