Packers head to Minneapolis to keep hope alive

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Realistically this is it if they want any shot of making the playoffs

GB2016

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I made this prediction last week for the seattle game. We didn't hit on 1 and 5 and we lost. I will say the same thing about tonight's game with the 1 and 5 having the most weight.

Packers 27 Seattle 16.
1. AR has an good but not great game. Takes the under neat stuff to convert the 3 rd downs.
2. Jones has a good game, not great but rushes for 100 +.
3. Defense has been trending upward so they will take another step upwand and will have their best game to date containing both the rushing game and passing game to average yards.
4. We are better without Cobb....Both rookies are better and will make key plays.
5. The one I'm worried about the most is the ST. If they just play average and do nothing stupid we should be OK.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No Daniels or Cobb which we knew. not having Daniels is pretty big. Be nice to see more of Raven Greene, but he's out. No King and No Breeland is going to hurt.

Oh well, win or play for pride the rest of the year is about what it boils down to.

H

HardRightEdge

Ok, I spent a long, LONG weekend with my inlaws and even THAT ordeal could not slap the belief out of me that the Pack win today. So there...take that. :whistling:
Are you sure that isn't the tryptophan talking? ;) "Any given Sunday", I suppose, but that inactive list is pretty troubling.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Are you sure that isn't the tryptophan talking? ;) "Any given Sunday", I suppose, but that inactive list is pretty troubling.

Boy, it sure is troubling. Clark and Daniels in particular. The DBs...so used to that I've developed something of an immunity to it.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get an oline that knows how to block an a ******** 3rd down. So sick of watching the pocket immediately collapse for us against a 4 man rush and then having to watch Kirk stand in the pocket for 4 seconds going through his reads

Edit: Can we cut Tramon as well? Dude adds absolutely nothing on the field

Kj32kid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some will agree, some do not want to hear it. This is a winnable game. Kirk Cousins was one of the best things the Vikings have done for the opposing NFC North teams. Consistently inconsistent. We will see how he handles a beaten down, injury plagued, Packers defense....but Kyler Frackrell though.

Was. I think that last muffed punt was the last nail in the coffin...

TexasCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummm. I think i'll go ahead and finish this beer and head to bed. No need in staying up late and being tired at work tomorrow. Guess Tramon is getting tired of ******** us over on defense had to add special teams to his resume.

H

HardRightEdge

From nfl . com
Dalvin Cook to feast on a run defense that allows 4 yards or more 49.1 percent of the time, 30th in the NFL.
30th. in the NFL is not exactly fear inspiring, whatever "feast" equates to. And the sample size is pretty small even taking into account his 4 games last season pre-injuries.

Cook was struggling off and on with a hamstring this season while coming off an ACL that ended his 2017 season. The fact he was given only 2 carries in the preseason would indicate this ACL repair was not just rolling into the garage for a wheel alignment and then good as new. Here's his complete game log for this season:

http://www.nfl.com/player/dalvincook/2557991/gamelogs

The only game that pops is his 10 for 89 against Detroit, a team allowing 4.8 yards per carry. Fits the thesis, right? However, there's something to note in that game: a 70 yard run. Cook's runs in that game went for 2, 7, 0, 2, 70, 5, -1, 1, -1, 4. If you drop out the 70 yarder, he was 10 for 19 in that game followed by 9 for 12 against the Bears defense that leads the league at 3.5 yards per carry. There's not much difference in those games (despite being declared "full go" for the Bears game) other than the home run. Without the home run, he's at 129 yards on 54 carries for a 2.4 yd. average for the season.

So, what about that 70 yarder? Here it is:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Clean hole, untouched, runs a straight line into space, then run down by Glover Quinn who is not exactly the speediest safety around. There isn't any eye-popping skill on display in this run, no ankle-breaking cutbacks, broken tackles, stiff arms...just see the hole, hit the hole.

Could Cook go off with an outcome-altering long run against the Packers? Sure. But these kinds of runs are rare, whether it is Cook or anybody else. And whatever one might think of the Packer run defense, the long run against them this season was 41 by Peterson with only 2 others of 30 or more.

From a statistical standpoint, which is what we're talking about here, Cook is a feast or famine runner, not a guy who's going to move the chains or carve out a game with a collection of 5. 10, 15 yard runs.

Whether we're talking about fantasy football or real football, a bet on Cook looks like picking a 20-1 long shot to win the Derby.
So, Cook picked up 9 yards on a jet sweep on the first play of the Vikings 3rd. possession, with Jones blowing the tackle. After that, it was 9 carries for 20 yards. Was that "essay" worth reading, Poppa?