Packers finally bring back Tauscher

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
As expected, the Green Bay Packers have renewed acquaintances with tackle Mark Tauscher. Tauscher spent nine seasons in Green Bay, rising from seventh-round pick to first-year starter. But he had been lingering on the free-agent shelf, after getting a recent...

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All right then. Let's see what Tausch has left in the tank. Is he going back to the right side? Or, if Clifton is still wobbly, will he play left tackle? Hope this move helps shore things up a bit.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tausch Finally Signed ...

Isn't it ironic that as much as TT was driving to distance himself from Sherman/Wolf draftees, that he has put himself in a position to beseech with hat in hand for a player Sherman and Wolf drafted due in large part to his inability to effectively evaluate and draft offensive line talent?

The good news is that he's admitting to himself and all of us, that there IS a problem - this is a BIG step towards fixing the problem - if only temporary, but I'll take anything I can get at this point.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or maybe he knew Tauscher wouldn't be ready till October, and that there was no point in keeping a roster spot for him, when noone would sign him, considering his age and that he was hurt... Kinda like what he did with Brohm and Meredith. Meredith backfired, alright, but it was a risky move anyway.

In any case, good to see him back. 4 sacks conceded last year, that's a positive stat to me!

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or maybe he knew Tauscher wouldn't be ready till October, and that there was no point in keeping a roster spot for him, when noone would sign him, considering his age and that he was hurt... Kinda like what he did with Brohm and Meredith. Meredith backfired, alright, but it was a risky move anyway.

In any case, good to see him back. 4 sacks conceded last year, that's a positive stat to me!

Like I said in other posts - Tauscher could be 75% and he's still better than what we've got because what we've got doesn't have "it" - that little bit that separates.

Again, this is nice because Green Bay will once again be able to compete, but I say this will continue to mask the problem. Just look at how everybody posted in pre-season; we all thought it was destiny to win the Super Bowl this season. Now, a mere month later, I'm reading threads where those same people are now claiming Detroit "could" pose a problem. As a result, what makes anybody think we'll all remain vigilant and realistic in our ensuing analysis of the Packers? Very few will, that is history and common sense talking.

So, we then get to my other point about the masking of the problems. Our offensive line will have vastly improved for 2009, but Tausch and Clifton can't play forever - and the other cast of characters can barely play, period. So, we're then forced into the company-speak mindset about having to simply continue to rebuild the O-line. But, we all are painfully aware of TT's abysmal track record in evaluating O-line talent. So, I think it behooves TT to land a QUALITY (read: Not scrub like Duke Preston, Matt O-Dwyer or Adrian Klemm) free agent in 2010 - provide one exists, but I would think one will.

I just don't want this to get out of control again. These manic states of euphoria and depression are not good for the body.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
They knew Mark would not be ready until at least Oct 1st...

My gut feeling tells me that they were in talks with him from the get go, just waiting for him to be healthy before signing him...That and along with a statement I heard from Frank Winters that Mark and the Pack were in talks as early as 3 weeks ago...Inow firmly believe Mark was going to be a Packer as soon as possible..

I dont think anyone is going on to say this o-l is anything to write home about..If Ted survives this offseason he needs to and address the situation one way or another..Or we will have same issues next week

And while Hausis tries to say that Ted only wants his own players, he forgets that Ted can and does re-sign players he had nothing to do with..along with cutting the ones he had everything to do with..

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said in other posts - Tauscher could be 75% and he's still better than what we've got because what we've got doesn't have "it" - that little bit that separates.

Again, this is nice because Green Bay will once again be able to compete, but I say this will continue to mask the problem. Just look at how everybody posted in pre-season; we all thought it was destiny to win the Super Bowl this season. Now, a mere month later, I'm reading threads where those same people are now claiming Detroit "could" pose a problem. As a result, what makes anybody think we'll all remain vigilant and realistic in our ensuing analysis of the Packers? Very few will, that is history and common sense talking.

So, we then get to my other point about the masking of the problems. Our offensive line will have vastly improved for 2009, but Tausch and Clifton can't play forever - and the other cast of characters can barely play, period. So, we're then forced into the company-speak mindset about having to simply continue to rebuild the O-line. But, we all are painfully aware of TT's abysmal track record in evaluating O-line talent. So, I think it behooves TT to land a QUALITY (read: Not scrub like Duke Preston, Matt O-Dwyer or Adrian Klemm) free agent in 2010 - provide one exists, but I would think one will.

I just don't want this to get out of control again. These manic states of euphoria and depression are not good for the body.
To me it's simple. I had in mind that I would give TT 5 years of free pass to rebuild. And that in the 5th year we should be contending. Contending to me is making the playoffs, and at least passing the first round, unless we lose to the SB champs, and by a small margin. If we can make this, it's a sucess, and he stays. If not, it's a failure and he goes. I still believe that, no matter how thing go this season, in 2-3 years we'll be a great team, but needing 8 years to build a great team is not a sucessful endeavor.
-
Back to Tauscher, any words if he's going to start, or at least compete for the position against the Lions?

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think anyone is going on to say this o-l is anything to write home about..

Oh, give it time. The homers will come outta the wordwork.

And while Hausis tries to say that Ted only wants his own players, he forgets that Ted can and does re-sign players he had nothing to do with..along with cutting the ones he had everything to do with..

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
You have to admit it was a slick move NOT signing him knowing that he wouldn't be ready until Oct. They probably figured there would be 1 or 2 season ending injuries and they would be able to just move him into that slot, or they would release somebody to make space.

I also like that GB showed some loyalty to an old GB Vet... ROFL. Yeah, I know....don't even go there.

I agree, if you can't get something done in 5 years, it's time to seek new blood.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I want this season to be a success, I like the signing of Tauscher, but as a backup. As a matter of fact I would put Clifton as a back up as well. HEAR ME OUT. I do not believe both Clifton and Tauscher can stay healthy for 12 more games and then the playoffs. If we start both of them early we will end up at the end of the season with both injured and with this awful O-line going into the playoffs, one and done.

The next 8 games are winnable with Lang and Barbre starting at the tackles. At that point and time we can plug in Clifton and Tauscher with 4 or 5 games remaining and go into the playoffs. I think Clifton and Tauscher have a better chance of staying healthy for 8 or 9 games (end of the season and playoff games) than starting them early trying to play them all 12 games remaining and hoping they can play additional playoff games at a high level.

I believe this is so true for our next 2 games, lions and Browns. There is no need to start Tauscher and Clifton, they have only so many starts left and we should use them wisely.

I just hate to see the Pack going into the playoffs with Lang and Barbre starting due to injury, we will be one and done. I would take a gamble in next 7 or 8 games to gut it out with Lang and Barbre. End the season strong with the old guys and if one of them gets injured (good possibility) we have a Lang and Barbre with experience.

This is only making the best of a bad situation, and if Lang and Barbre are that bad in the next games you can pull them anytime and put old guys in.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I want this season to be a success, I like the signing of Tauscher, but as a backup. As a matter of fact I would put Clifton as a back up as well. HEAR ME OUT. I do not believe both Clifton and Tauscher can stay healthy for 12 more games and then the playoffs. If we start both of them early we will end up at the end of the season with both injured and with this awful O-line going into the playoffs, one and done.

The next 8 games are winnable with Lang and Barbre starting at the tackles. At that point and time we can plug in Clifton and Tauscher with 4 or 5 games remaining and go into the playoffs. I think Clifton and Tauscher have a better chance of staying healthy for 8 or 9 games (end of the season and playoff games) than starting them early trying to play them all 12 games remaining and hoping they can play additional playoff games at a high level.

I believe this is so true for our next 2 games, lions and Browns. There is no need to start Tauscher and Clifton, they have only so many starts left and we should use them wisely.

I just hate to see the Pack going into the playoffs with Lang and Barbre starting due to injury, we will be one and done. I would take a gamble in next 7 or 8 games to gut it out with Lang and Barbre. End the season strong with the old guys and if one of them gets injured (good possibility) we have a Lang and Barbre with experience.

This is only making the best of a bad situation, and if Lang and Barbre are that bad in the next games you can pull them anytime and put old guys in.
OL needs continuity. You cannot keep plugging and unplugging players. And they need play rythm too... I understand what you're saying, but we need the best out there if we want to win.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OL needs continuity. You cannot keep plugging and unplugging players. And they need play rythm too... I understand what you're saying, but we need the best out there if we want to win.

Ya its a catch 22, I would love for TT to find a third O-lineman that can play left or right tackle for a backup. He does not have to be a stud, just better than Lang or Barbre.

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have to see whether Tausch still has those quick feet and is able to contain. There's also still the questions on the left side if Clifton can't go. If I were Aaron Rodgers, I'd keep the Ben Gay handy.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love for TT to find a third O-lineman that can play left or right tackle for a backup. He does not have to be a stud, just better than Lang or Barbre.

Better than the current starter and backup? Good Lord, it's taken TT 5 years to get to this point (which according to your request is, uh, not real good) and you toss out such a casual request like that? Wow.:shock:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts