Packers exercise fifth-year option on Clark

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I already mentioned that Clark would have to be resigned. Bakhtiari will be 30 fairly early into the 2021 season, so I am not sure how big of a contract the Packers will be willing to offer him. He could definitely be priced away. Linsley I also see as a guy the FO will be willing to let walk.

Bakhtiari is the best left tackle in pass protection in the league. It would be a terrible mistake to let him walk away in free agency before him turning 30 years old.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are and have been many tackles who have played at a high level well into their 30's. The idea that Bak would be done or not worth another contract just because he'd be 30 doesn't fly.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying that he wont be able to perform at a very high level, Im saying that there is a very real possibility that the Packers will not be willing to pay him what the market will, and given that they don't offer 3rd contracts a lot.

But I concede that Bahk should be considered a priority to designate a huge chunk of our cap space to going forward.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not saying that he wont be able to perform at a very high level, Im saying that there is a very real possibility that the Packers will not be willing to pay him what the market will, and given that they don't offer 3rd contracts a lot.

As HRE correctly pointed out it's impossible to predict what the Packers are going to do two years from now. But with the team currently mot even have another decent option at left tackle on the roster it's probable they will retain Bakhtiari.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Came across this today and I think it's a good distillation of what makes Clark such a valuable player, and why he's a foundation piece of the defense moving forward.

Per Next Gen Stats, there were three players in the NFL to rank top 5 in both total 3rd down pressures, and 3rd down pressure rate: Aaron Donald, Justin Houston, and Kenny Clark.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

There has been some talk about how it would be smarter not to pay him, and I think that's been based at least in part on the perception that he's a "nose tackle" and that other "nose tackles" make a lot less than what he's projected to make.

Clark is a daggum complete, elite defense lineman. Pay the man his money.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Came across this today and I think it's a good distillation of what makes Clark such a valuable player, and why he's a foundation piece of the defense moving forward.

Per Next Gen Stats, there were three players in the NFL to rank top 5 in both total 3rd down pressures, and 3rd down pressure rate: Aaron Donald, Justin Houston, and Kenny Clark.

There has been some talk about how it would be smarter not to pay him, and I think that's been based at least in part on the perception that he's a "nose tackle" and that other "nose tackles" make a lot less than what he's projected to make.

Clark is a daggum complete, elite defense lineman. Pay the man his money.

*Insert John Malkovich gif here*

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and he's still just past being a kid. His body isn't even physically mature yet, he probably has a season yet until he hits physical maturity, let alone his peak.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Someone needs to pull up the 2016 draft posts, when I would expect at least half the posters were probably ripping on TT for picking Clark. Wouldn't be surprised if some had him as a priority Free Agent on "their boards". :coffee:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone needs to pull up the 2016 draft posts, when I would expect at least half the posters were probably ripping on TT for picking Clark. Wouldn't be surprised if some had him as a priority Free Agent on "their boards". :coffee:

Ahh the meltdown over passing on Myles Jack night..... Good times

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were a lot of them. It would be fun to go back and read thru that

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right out of the gate, 2nd post after the pick was announced

Such a ****** waste of a pick Justin Harrell number 2!!!! So ****** disappointing Andrew billings is 100% times better I'm so pissed off!!

can't seem to figure out how to insert multiple quotes with the contributor attached, so sorry Snoops, you're the only one getting credit or maybe I'll add the name after the quote.

Extremely disappointed with this pick, knowing that Ragland, Jack and Billings were available.

Oh well, I hope I'm proven wrong.
C-lee

Pack takes Clark. He was a projected 2nd round player. I'm just concerned that he is too young and raw to contribute for a couple of seasons. Good pick for a team that is rebuilding. No doubt Clark has a good up side but he may take too long to develop. Pack can't afford to wait anymore.
Sanquine Camper. Not a completely terrible take. He did have to mature a bit being only 20 or something at the time, but Ragland and Jack weren't going to win us any more than we had in that time period and Kenny is still ascending, those 2? Topped out and limited.

EasyK83 had it figured out
Nkemdiche as needs to change his name to dumb***. I wouldnt trust that guy even with his talent. Clarke is a legit talented nose tackle and he's likely underrated due to his youth. He's a good pick and a bit of a no brainer.

a lot of the decent reactions seem to be from people not around anymore.

un4given
The only upside that I have heard of clark, is that he used to wrestle or something? So his hands are really good. And he can play multiple positions.

Clark isn't even close to the most athletic in this draft. Not even arguable.

HRE coming in strong
It's just back to the same old well. If you liked Raji last season you'll like this guy.

There's this gem from Djepacker
May as well have been Vinny Clark....Ted is suffering from dementia from his years of playing too many concussions

No surprise the GreenBaySlacker was pretty excited by the big guy
Clark is going to be a destructive beast! State wrestling champ means he will beat most al men his size. I found out tonight he is only 20. This is a great pick imo!!! He needs to play de.

Mathews, clark, guion, daniels, peppers..........................

My first contribution on the topic, notice I correctly called the 2nd round move and position too LOL What a bust that was.

I don't hate it. I don't watch much UCLA football, so I'm just going off a few videos again. But he's a young powerful 300+ lb'er on the DL. He holds the point well and can separate from a block and make a tackle. when he extended his arms, big guys moved backwards. He was apparently a pretty good wrestler too, which in my mind does nothing but make him better on the DLine. Looks to move very well for a big guy, will probably get a bit bigger too before all is said and done, and knows leverage and how to use it along with his hands.

I like the pick. I liked DL over ILB before this started and for everyone saying he's 2nd round talent well so are Jack and Smith and Ragland and everyone else. They can't get picked any higher.

I can't wait till tonight when Ted trades up to the top of the 2nd and picks.... an offensive tackle :)

Lots of people calling him a reach. and some usual suspects who like what he had to work with, but taking a wait and see approach some might call sensible :)

I"m only half way thru the thread. I'll make a new post if I find any new gems

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man that was fun to go back and read some thoughts....happy to see I wasn't entirely off base with mine

As for Clark I liked him in the 2nd...but don't hate the pick where we were. I have no doubt we tried to find a trade suitor but didn't happen.

Clark is a beast with agility he shouldn't have, hands far beyond his age (thanks to his wrestling background) and his ability to burst a few yards to catch a RB that burst through a hole beside him is impressive.

Raw...somewhat....ready....somewhat....but man his skill for a 20 year old is amazing.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Good detective work and you both back up my suspicions. I get it, its fun to react in a positive or negative way, but for those who are so damn "absolute" on their opinion on a player that hasn't taken a single snap in the NFL is comical.

P.S. This comes from a poster who was shocked and disappointed when the Packers selected Rodgers, WTF do I know?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a little fun context on Kenny Clark.

Last year's #13 pick, Christian Wilkins, is one month younger than Kenny Clark. At the same age, Clark was pretty much dominating NFL competition.

I'm not sure there's a dollar amount at his position I would say no to. He's so unique/rare. The pass rushing NT. He would get paid a huge amount on the open market.

H

HardRightEdge

HRE coming in strong:

"It's just back to the same old well. If you liked Raji last season you'll like this guy."
I doubt that's the most unkind thing I had to say about him. He was getting blown off the line and on his kiester in his rookie training camp and in preseason. I'm sure I pointed that out at the time.

I'm not sure there's a dollar amount at [Clark's] position I would say no to. He's so unique/rare. The pass rushing NT. He would get paid a huge amount on the open market.
Athletic big men are hard to find, and when they are found they sometimes develop weight issues and lose some of that athleticism. Clark has avoided weight or injury issues and would hard to replace especially given the surrounding D-Line talent is less than impressive.

How good of a pass rusher is he really? pro-football-reference has him down for 15 pressures both last season (on 869 snaps) and the season before (on 720 snaps). Those are not exactly great numbers. Last year he logged 6 sacks, no knockdowns, 8 hurries, and 1 unaccounted for.

He should not be mentioned in the same sentance as Aaron Donald, as some have been prone to do, a guy who recorded 70 pressures in 2018 and 55 in 2019, with a mess of sacks and knockdowns in those numbers.

Clark's a good player, no doubt about it, and maybe more valuable to the Packers than some other teams given the supporting cast particularly in base D. But he is he a great player? I don't think so.

He might well get paid a huge sum in the open market. One pundit put a $17 mil per year over an even more untenable 5 years. That Packers might pay that money; they sure didn't draft a replacement for a rookie year of seasoning. Or did they? The Smith/Smith/Gary combo for nickel and dime has often been discussed. That combo with a rotational base run plugger might be the plan if the Clark dollars are too high. Regardless, I would surely not pay that kind of money.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're comparing Clark, a NT, to Donald, an undersized 3T, then we should end the conversation there. Different players, different roles, different expectations.

Giving his pass rushing stats without including what other NT's do is a fools game. Is he as good as Donald, who is one of the best pass rushing DL in NFL history? No. Is Clark currently a great iDL? Undoubtedly.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying about the Packers cap situation going forward but I highly doubt the team will allow Bakhtiari to walk away in free agency at age 29.
Agreed. Bak is arguably the best LT in the NFL. You don’t trade guys like that (unless you’re Oakland) and you don’t let them walk. You pay them.
Any idea what his comp will be?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll admit I wasn't happy when we made the pick, but wow. This kid is such a beast.
Well, it’s rare to find that kind of talent that late in the first round. But kinda to your point, I think he was considered a reach at the time.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt that's the most unkind thing I had to say about him. He was getting blown off the line and on his kiester in his rookie training camp and in preseason. I'm sure I pointed that out at the time.

Athletic big men are hard to find, and when they are found they sometimes develop weight issues and lose some of that athleticism. Clark has avoided weight or injury issues and would hard to replace especially given the surrounding D-Line talent is less than impressive.

How good of a pass rusher is he really? pro-football-reference has him down for 15 pressures both last season (on 869 snaps) and the season before (on 720 snaps). Those are not exactly great numbers. Last year he logged 6 sacks, no knockdowns, 8 hurries, and 1 unaccounted for.

He should not be mentioned in the same sentance as Aaron Donald, as some have been prone to do, a guy who recorded 70 pressures in 2018 and 55 in 2019, with a mess of sacks and knockdowns in those numbers.

Clark's a good player, no doubt about it, and maybe more valuable to the Packers than some other teams given the supporting cast particularly in base D. But he is he a great player? I don't think so.

He might well get paid a huge sum in the open market. One pundit put a $17 mil per year over an even more untenable 5 years. That Packers might pay that money; they sure didn't draft a replacement for a rookie year of seasoning. Or did they? The Smith/Smith/Gary combo for nickel and dime has often been discussed. That combo with a rotational base run plugger might be the plan if the Clark dollars are too high. Regardless, I would surely not pay that kind of money.

I don't subscribe to PFF, you must, but I'm seeing different numbers on their twitter. This is for the 2018 season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kenny is a beast. Anyone that understands football understands he is arguably the player we would notice losing the fastest on defense. VERY hard to replace a guy playing at his level, VERY.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like your analysis. It’s crazy to compare stats between NTs, DL, and Edge rushers. That said, Clark is a NT with a little bit of rusher in his blood, maybe a lot. I’m amazed at how quick he gets off the line, discards his blocker(s) and then either makes a play on a run or pass. And at 24 years old? Our only point of disagreement is I would pay him market value ($17 mil/year, around there). Actually, I’d get him a contract extension early, maybe saving a few million. Bottom line, this team can’t afford to lose him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's unhelpful to sort guys based on where they would play in base defense, when base defense is a ~20% of snaps proposition in Green Bay.

Kenny Clark is an interior defensive lineman. He can play anywhere from the 0 to the 5T, and does. He spends most of his time as a 1T in even fronts.

More importantly, he's a very good run defender and one of the better interior pass rushers in the league. That is the descriptor according to which he should be paid... not "like a NT."