Packers Defense

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I was listening to I think it was Chris Havel and Harry Sydney today and they made a few good points. Basically they said don't be surprised if our defense performs well this year. Their theory was based on the team not respecting Slowik because of how new he was to being a coordinator, how he used well rather attempted to use Donatells old plays and his inconsistency with his schemes not to mention how difficult it was to understand the system he was trying to use. Now these guys are professionals and no matter how difficult the system they should be able to understand and succeed, yes. But if Bates who from what I hear has a simple system to pick up on gets these guys motivated to kick *** you know the team will respect him because of what he's done in the past, we should be in for a decent performing team.
I'm not expecting much right from the get go, but after I think the 3rd or 4th game we will be stopping people on those crucial third downs a lot more times then we did the previous year and that should turn into more points an HOPEFULLY more wins.

I dunno if I gave their perception accurately, but how they explained it, it made a lot of sense to me.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there is any doubt whatsoever that this defense is going to be better, MUCH better. We have some studs. KGB, Barnett, Diggs, Harris are all horses. I think we upgraded with Thompson over Navies. Navies provides a decent back-up--right where he should be. Our D-line is the huge question which will make the whole ship go straight. A good pass rush will save our questionable secondary, but I like our youngins. Speed kills, and we got it. We have to get a pass rush. I'm not sold we have the horses on the D-line to get that done consistently, but I'm convinced the defense will be better just because of the Bates factor. I'm glad everyone is writing this team off so early. When we make a big splash at 6-0 we'll be the talk of the town. :D

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers had a servicable defense 2 years ago, before Slowik, and have many of the same players from that team. Point being that I agree w/ the logic that Slowik was a big reason for the downfall last year, and returning to previous form is not beyond reason.

With that said, I'm not convinced that there are any stars on this defense, but there are enough compotent players so that they should be able to finish middle of the pack, IMO

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Re: Dude...

Kyle said:
Learn how to use commas.

Sweetness, we have a english teacher in the house!

I agree we don't have any 'stars' but I think as a unit we will be a heckuva lot more efficient. Last year I thought we had a lot of mental mistakes and miscues which hurt the team more than the lack of skilled players.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at our TO ratio the past few years. Last year, frankly, it sucked. The previous few years it was among the best in the league. Bend but don't break. Clutch plays at crucial times matter a lot. Of course, a shut-down defense is even better IMO. You can play "big-play" defense or "attitude" defense.
That said, it sure seemed like there was a lot more shoddy tackling and poor positional play last year than in the past. Perhaps the latter lead to the massive dropoff in TOs.
Hammer

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers simply do not have the players on defense. Little pass rush + poor secondary = giving up lots of yardage and points. They needed to make some player upgrades along with the new coach and they failed to do that. Add to that a potentially less potent offense and things can get ugly. Not as ugly as the Bears offense last season but ugly never the less.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I hope we are a more 'smash mouth' type of defense then we have been in the past. I'd like to see people get slammed around repeatedly within the rules of course.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
I hope we are a more 'smash mouth' type of defense then we have been in the past. I'd like to see people get slammed around repeatedly within the rules of course.

I've complained about that for years. I want teams to be afraid of our defense. Miami had that with Bates, and I'm hoping it evolves to that in GB.
Our teams of late have been really soft.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. We need a couple old school players with serious mean streaks. Maybe Chuck Cecil will come out of retirement and lay the lumber like he did in the 80's!

I still think he had to be one of the hardest hitting safeties next to Ronnie Lott and Jack Tatum.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another point to bring up is our lack of creating turnovers last season.

Bates knows The Packers defence MUST be aggressive, hit hard, improve their tackling, force fumbles, and get a lot more picks. That in turn will keep us in more games and get our opponents PPG average down from last year. It will also give Brett and the offence more scoring opportunities.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is it that makes a great hitter.

I mean you have to be solid of course... Is it not leaving your feet? Is it timing the hit when the player you are hitting is most off balance? Is it instinct? Is it hatred? Is opportunity?

Interesting question.

RP

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ORRELSE said:
I don't think there is any doubt whatsoever that this defense is going to be better, MUCH better. We have some studs. KGB, Barnett, Diggs, Harris are all horses. I think we upgraded with Thompson over Navies. Navies provides a decent back-up--right where he should be. Our D-line is the huge question which will make the whole ship go straight. A good pass rush will save our questionable secondary, but I like our youngins. Speed kills, and we got it. We have to get a pass rush. I'm not sold we have the horses on the D-line to get that done consistently, but I'm convinced the defense will be better just because of the Bates factor. I'm glad everyone is writing this team off so early. When we make a big splash at 6-0 we'll be the talk of the town. :D
I agree I think that the defense is going to be a whole lot better. I think that what you pointed out was good about the studs, but also what if our new D cooridnater puts more pressure on guys like Carrol and diciplins them so that they have less penalties that is what I am looking forward to seeing, Defense isnt that hard if you dont kill yourself with stupid mistakes!!! :thumbsup:

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to run at the mouth, but I believe the Packer's D is going to surprise even the experts this year. JMHO. Coaching is important. :)

Members online

Latest posts