Packers, Daniels not close to new deal

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pissued off Mike Daniels was back tonight with his trademark intensity. For those that didn't get to see his interview:

"Back to the drawing board. I've never seen so many people pissed off at a preseason game."

Or him being asked on why Packer fans should be excited about this defense even after tonight's performance,

Daniels: *Long pause as he tilts his head searching for a reason*

Me: *Noticeably cringes..*

Video here:
https://instagram.com/p/6_Yavwrq1A/

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we debated this in the off season. i was afraid he was going to ask nelson, cobb, mathews, peppers money... he isnt there yet. nelson took a team friendly, 4 year 5 mil/yr deal and went back to work before he got hos big deal. cobb on the other hand gathered big interest from other teams and imo couldve got more had he left.
when daniels can be replaced with pennel or a fa like guion. why pay him 10 mil??? 5 or 6 i say. and get back to work.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when daniels can be replaced with pennel or a fa like guion. why pay him 10 mil??? 5 or 6 i say. and get back to work.

Uhmmmm because neither Pennel or Guion can replace Daniels? Seriously. The level a play between those two and Daniels isn't even in the same ballpark

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
disagree i guess. daniels, in my mind has always been above average. call me a hard gleut, but he hasnt graduated to great yet.. guion is like 3 mil and pennel is league min i bet. and both those guys are above average as well.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JJ Watt has pretty much ruined expectations of the 3-4 DE for people without critical thinking skills. The guy is a once in a generation, force of nature. Guys like that are usually astronomically better than their closest counterparts and some people just don't seem to understand that.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JJ Watt is insane. They should just give that guy a new defensive position called "terror" and allow other players on defense to be judged fairly again. I have very little doubt that if Watt can play at this level for just a couple more seasons there will be very little debate that he is the best defensive player to play in the NFL (hard to evaluate him relative to Deacon Jones though because some of the pressure stats just aren't available).

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i never mentioned jj watt... i just dont see the hype of daniels. is he the best we have? arguably, yes. but we havr a few guys who could step in with very little drop off. for much much less. i hope he changes my mind this year...

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniels isn't worth what he supposedly asked for. He's good, not great. Makes splash plays now and then, has some good games, but dissapears too much and gets washed out too much for my taste.
Consistency is the big issue.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i never mentioned jj watt... i just dont see the hype of daniels. is he the best we have? arguably, yes. but we havr a few guys who could step in with very little drop off. for much much less. i hope he changes my mind this year...

That's the thing. It's not even arguable that he's our best defensive lineman and the drop off from him to ANYONE on our roster that would replace him is HUGE

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we debated this in the off season. i was afraid he was going to ask nelson, cobb, mathews, peppers money... he isnt there yet. nelson took a team friendly, 4 year 5 mil/yr deal and went back to work before he got hos big deal. cobb on the other hand gathered big interest from other teams and imo couldve got more had he left.

These are weird comparisons. Nelson took his first deal at a point in his career when he was not well-established or accomplished at all. At the point when he signed that deal, he had averaged 33 catches and 2 TD's in each of his first 3 seasons, and had never been over 582 yards in a season.

Of course Cobb gathered big interest from other teams. That is what big free agents do. That is what Mike Daniels will do if we do not sign him before he gets to free agency.

Daniels cannot be replaced with Pennel or Guion without a substantial dropoff.

It continues to amaze me that you have been critical of Daniels in the past because you are underwhelmed by his numbers, yet you hype Raji who is lucky to record a single tick on a stat sheet in a game as a man-beast.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its a good thing you guys who want to give daniels 10 a year arent the gm. the cap doesnt care about your man crush. when lacy and a dozen other high end guys contract comes up in the next year or two, you will wish we didnt drop the 10mil on daniels. thats how you end up like the cowboys...dislike it 100 times. call me stupid , i dont give a squat. fact remains daniels isnt a 10 mil a year guy. he's no cobb. and he doesnt have rodgers saying we need to keep him...

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

its a good thing you guys who want to give daniels 10 a year arent the gm. the cap doesnt care about your man crush. when lacy and a dozen other high end guys contract comes up in the next year or two, you will wish we didnt drop the 10mil on daniels. thats how you end up like the cowboys...dislike it 100 times. call me stupid , i dont give a squat. fact remains daniels isnt a 10 mil a year guy. he's no cobb. and he doesnt have rodgers saying we need to keep him...

Daniels is the Packers best defensive lineman and one of the most dominant 3-4 DE in the entire league. I'm surprised you don't want the Packers to sign him to a deal around $10 million as you preached all offseason that a dominating defensive line is essential for a 3-4 defense.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm surprised you don't want the Packers to sign him to a deal around $10 million as you preached all offseason that a dominating defensive line is essential for a 3-4 defense.
But Daniels isn't getting the 28(?) sacks per season he requires of a 3-4 DE. :D

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes i do value the dline very very much. a great 3/4 depends on it. and yet i think daniels is not even close to worth 10 mil. thats how a gm has to think. not pay for man crushes. not for a deep voice that acts tough. good gms pa.y for production. he was the best out of a pathetic line. guion was the corner stone if you ask me, last season. pennell is just as destructive, and given the same snaps, will probabally match daniels 5 sacks last year

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniels is the Packers best defensive lineman and one of the most dominant 3-4 DE in the entire league. I'm surprised you don't want the Packers to sign him to a deal around $10 million as you preached all offseason that a dominating defensive line is essential for a 3-4 defense.
arguably the best d lineman... guion was more of an impact last year if you ask me. if we lost daniels and pennell starts, i bet there is very little drop off. we dont have the super stars up front. we have a stable of above average guys. id like upgrades, and if we are going to pay a de 10 mil, we should let daniels go, and go get one. instead of overpaying, because he is the "best" we have...

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

arguably the best d lineman... guion was more of an impact last year if you ask me. if we lost daniels and pennell starts, i bet there is very little drop off.

Daniels is by far the best defensive lineman on the Packers roster. Guion was a serviceable addition last year and while Pennel showed promise during this year's preseason none of them could provide an impact even close to Daniels.

lets not forget the ACTUAL packers brass agrees with me!!!

Both sides have six months left to get a deal done, the Packers not agreeing to his demands right now doesn't mean anything.

Sky King

Reaction score
This looks like the typical negotiations dance to me. Both sides are gambling. Daniels that he stays healthy and productive and Thompson/Ball that he stays healthy and productive. How healthy and productive will determine the terms of Daniels' next contract, here or someplace else. This could be a banner year for Daniel$.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arguably the best d lineman... guion was more of an impact last year if you ask me. if we lost daniels and pennell starts, i bet there is very little drop off. we dont have the super stars up front. we have a stable of above average guys. id like upgrades, and if we are going to pay a de 10 mil, we should let daniels go, and go get one. instead of overpaying, because he is the "best" we have...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...e-top-35-3-4-defensive-ends-from-2014/page/34

Weird, guess who Bleacher Report ranks as the 3rd best 3-4 DE in the NFL....ahead of 'name' guys like Sheldon Richardson, Wilkerson, and Ngata. Guess they must have a 'man-crush' on him too. Pro Football Focus rates him very highly too...I guess they must all be wrong, huh?

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Here's the thing. It's not arguable by anybody but you. Guion wasn't even close and I truly can't believe you actually brought up Pennell also in comparison to Daniels.

Daniels is one of the top 5 3/4 DEs in the league. This seems to be lost on you because his sack numbers aren't where you'd like them for some reason

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you people preach about the real job of a 3-4 de. you watch pennell. he gets the push every play. he is disriptive, and makes plays when the ball gets near him. thats what im basing it on. you put words in my mouth with this sack argument...daniels 5 sacks dont impress me enough. thats besides the point that i believe guion and pennell are capable of doing what daniels does.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the equivalent of saying that the Packers decided last year that they did not want to pay Randall Cobb.
and they werent going to pay cobb until he stepped up big time in the playoffs!!! cobb earned it! danoels hasnt. i dont care what profootballweekly says.

Members online

Latest posts