Packers, Daniels not close to new deal

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

According to the Journal Sentinel the Packers and Mike Daniels are far apart on a new contract. It seems Daniels is looking for a deal close to $10 million per season while the Packers have offered long-term contracts averaging several million less per year.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...rt-on-new-contract-b99564584z1-323042781.html

IMO there´s no reason to worry about it though as there´s still a lot of time left until March and as we´ve realized in the past most contracts are signed close to the deadline for free agency.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully he'll play like a 10 million dollar man this year.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm....not seeing 10m a year, 5 maybe. Otherwise let him go. There are other fish in his pond. He has shown flashes, but they are just that. Put up or shut up, MD.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
No matter what you think he's worth, Mike Daniels has already "put up". And there may be other fish in his pond, but unfortunately they haven't been swimming in Green Bay.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So TJV you think he is worth 10 a year? He has yet to show me 10m a year value. His contract is not up until next March.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
10 million isn't crazy.

Just a quick googling and comparing him to 3-4 ends (his position in Base) and/or 4-3 tackles (his position in nickel), 10 million per year would make him the 6th highest paid player in both groups.

That might be slightly too high, but the cap is going to go up. It's at the very least, probably the right position for Daniels to start negotiating.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
So TJV you think he is worth 10 a year? He has yet to show me 10m a year value. His contract is not up until next March.
That's not all you said. What I was disagreeing with is this:
He has shown flashes, but they are just that. Put up or shut up, MD.
As I posted, he's already "put up" and he's the best DL in Green Bay. And you do understand that the MO for these types of negotiations is for the agent to ask for more than he expects the player will receive and the team to offer less than their best offer, right?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
10M isn't an unreasonable asking price for him at all. First of course he isn't going to come right out and ask for $6-7M a year, he's going to ask for a high end number and negotiate from there. 10M would put him in the top 10 at his position. I think they likely end up somewhere around 8M, top 15, which I think is a fair FA contract for his level and position.

Daniels has done more than 'show flashes', he has been our best defensive lineman the last 2 seasons and has been durable as well. He's an all-around good 3-4 DE who is solid in run support while also offering a good pass rush, consistently grades out positively, and someone will certainly pay him if we choose not to.

Daniels is consistently underrated, in part probably because of his draft position and in part because the Packers' defense as a whole doesn't have a reputation as a great defense. But individually he's already a very good proven player, not just a guy with potential.

Last edited:

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
15 sacks so far in three years. I am hopeful that he produces this season as they need him to to demand the dollars he is asking. He may very well do that, I was saying up to this point, the numbers don't support the salary demand.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
15 sacks so far in three years. I am hopeful that he produces this season as they need him to to demand the dollars he is asking. He may very well do that, I was saying up to this point, the numbers don't support the salary demand.

Yes, they do. First of all 6 sacks a season which he has given us the last 2 seasons is very good for a 3-4 DE. Secondly judging a 3-4 DE solely by sack numbers is a very poor way to evaluate him. No one said he was JJ Watt.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hes a 3-4 DE. OLB's in a 3-4 are the ones that get the sacks. So a 3-4 DE averaging 5-6 sacks a year is actually pretty damn good.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm....not seeing 10m a year, 5 maybe. Otherwise let him go. There are other fish in his pond. He has shown flashes, but they are just that. Put up or shut up, MD.
Flashes? The dude has been a ROCK in the middle and hasn't peeked yet. His best days are ahead of him and he is a motivated, self-starter that impacts both the pass and run D. I think you are waaaay off on this one. Mike D's don't grow on trees and I am fully confident the Packer brass feels the same way I do.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
easily our best dlineman, and i'd say one of the better ones in the league. most teams don't have a guy like him on their roster

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

That sounds like another poster completely misunderstanding the basic concepts of a 3-4 defense. Six sacks is pretty damn good for a defensive end in the Packers scheme and he ranked 6th in pass rush productivity at his position (pretty close to second with only J.J. Watt distancing himself from the pack). In addition he has been a very good run defender.

Several 3-4 defensive ends signed a contract averaging more than $10 million over the past few months. With Daniels being at least a top 10 player at his position I expect him to be offered a similar contract as well.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

"Maybe 5"??????? Good lord

Is the only 3-4 DE in the league worth 10 million JJ Watt?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Maybe 5"??????? Good lord

Is the only 3-4 DE in the league worth 10 million JJ Watt?

Maybe it's too early this morning, but this appears to say we ought to be considering JJ Watt money for Daniels? Nobody else on any DLine, maybe on the D, is worth more than, probably anywhere near, what JJ gets.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe it's too early this morning, but this appears to say we ought to be considering JJ Watt money for Daniels? Nobody else on any DLine, maybe on the D, is worth more than, probably anywhere near, what JJ gets.

Watt is being paid more than $16 million per season though. Nobody is suggesting to offer Daniels a similar contract.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watt is being paid more than $16 million per season though. Nobody is suggesting to offer Daniels a similar contract.
Watt deserves every penny of that 16M and I believe Mike D deserves to be paid the same as the "second tier" guys under him. If that's 10M per then so be it. Some folks don't understand just how good he is and how different this D would look if he were absent. Whether or not fans recognize it Mike is considered one of the best at his position and if we want to retain his services he will have to be paid as such. I wonder sometimes if we are all watching the same game/players?! Either way, Happy Friday y'all and as always G P G!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is not a training camp issue. McGinn just needed something to write about.

Mostly agreed. It's Packer news worthy, because he's our top contract year player this year, but it's not abnormal or anything to be alarmed about right now. Same bridge we crossed with Cobb and Bulaga at this time last year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is not a training camp issue. McGinn just needed something to write about.
Not only McGinn but all the beat writers have deadlines. Saying he needed something to write about may seem like a negative but not to me - he needs something to write about on a regular basis.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I just listened to part of the McGinn and Cohen podcast from a couple of days ago. For those interested (at this early date I'm not), at the beginning of the podcast, they talk about some (somewhat) comparable players and the deals they received.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/323105211.html

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree to a point. It's good to see a wide range of articles. However, I often get the feeling that the articles artificially hype up issues that aren't big to either side in a negotiation this early. As Adambr2 said, this is just the foreplay in the seductive dance between team negotiator and player agent. They each state their wishes, both smile, and the art of negotiation begins. It's too far away from free agency to oooh and ahhh over the initial demands.

At best it gives some additional insight into the organization for the fans. At worst it fans smoldering embers if they exist.

Members online

Latest posts