Packers better off without Favre (foxsports.com)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry.....but i'm not gonna even waste my time reading that.
Who cares what they say? Not me at least.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every media outlet uses Favre. It's almost as bad as the coverage on TO. Since it's about Favre, they know people will read it. This is just like the article about how Kobe is better than MJ. Just one reporter getting their name out.

I bet umair just posted it to post it. He probably doesn't agree with it.

OP
OP
U

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i just posted it to see what you guys thought. i didnt post it because i agree with it.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Umair.......and it's nothing against you......i just won't read that kind of stuff. It's just some guy stirring the pot.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As an aspiring sports journalist, I can only hope that I don't sell out and write stories like Schein. He's the angry guy who takes issues with certain topics merely to arouse people. What a dork (I mean... look at the guy)

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Such crap, seems when Favre says something all the media goes crazy this is no different. All this was, was Favre alittle frustrated and alittle angry. We all get angry from time to time, let the great QB alone for petes sakes. I am not going to listen to the media blow this out of proportion.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Elway, Marino, and Montana were all 38 when they retired. Favre will be the same age in October.

After all the stuff that has transpired the past few days, I honestly don't see Brett playing past this season unless he absolutely feels this team is on the verge of a Super Bowl run in which, let's be honest here, probably is 2009 at the absolute soonest. If we show some great strides this season, I can see us contending for at least the division next year.

I don't think another year of sitting on the bench learning from Brett is going to hurt Rodgers either. If Brett retires after 2007, Rodgers will be entering the final year of his rookie contract then in '08, and if he doesn't show much in the way of being able to lead this football team, the Packers may not choose to renew his contract, although it usually takes more than one season to truly gauge a brand new QB, so it wouldn't suprise me if GB retained him beyond that unless he was absolutely terrible.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Elway, Marino, and Montana were all 38 when they retired. Favre will be the same age in October.

See, I never understood that. No one was calling for Marino, Montana and Elway to retire. Elway didn't win a Super Bowl until his last two seasons, and Marino NEVER won one. Is it because people felt sorry for them? Once you've won a Super Bowl, does that mean you shouldn't want to play football anymore, or that you're worthless to your team? The Packers are one of the biggest "bandwagon" teams I've ever seen. When they are doing well, everyone seems to start to care about them. But, man, when they struggle, then "Brett needs to retire already" or "Brett is a has-been. He hasn't won a Super Bowl in ten years." It gets really old.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think part of the reason a lot of "pundits" are calling for Brett's retirement stems from 2005 when he chucked 29 INTs. The other QBs I mentioned never really struggled late in their careers like Brett did that season. They never had monster statistical years in their late 30s, but they were relatively efficient. Most like to ignore the fact that GB was essentially fielding an NFL Europe calibur offense by the time that 4-12 year ended and only want to look at the stat sheet.

I'll be the first to admit I wouldn't have been overly sad to see Brett retire this season, because I do want to see what we have in Aaron Rodgers and if he can be a legitimate NFL starter. I would've definitely felt somewhat bad though to see a great career come to end, especially on the verge of breaking Marino's TD and yardage records.

That being said, Brett gives us the better chance to win in 2007 than Aaron does, and I'm not going to want to see him benched just so Rodgers can get some playing time.

I want to see the Packers and Brett part under amicable terms and not how teams like Tennessee esentially forced McNair out. If Brett hangs them up after this season, I think most Packer fans will be content and he won't have tarnished his legacy at all.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think another year of sitting on the bench learning from Brett is going to hurt Rodgers either..

except for Rodgers isnt being taught by Favre. so while another year learning the playbook and WATCHING favre cant hurt, it really doesnt help much either.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good thing he isn't taught by Favre, we don't need another interception king.

Woodson_fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre is law in packers town, and he has earned that. So it bothers me when some dorky little writer tries to use that against him.

From what I saw of Aaron Rodgers, I DIDN'T LIKE IT. Maybe I have not given him a fair chance, but he hasn't done very good when put in for at least a quarter sometimes a half.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson_fan said:
Favre is law in packers town, and he has earned that. So it bothers me when some dorky little writer tries to use that against him.

From what I saw of Aaron Rodgers, I DIDN'T LIKE IT. Maybe I have not given him a fair chance, but he hasn't done very good when put in for at least a quarter sometimes a half.
We won't know about Rodgers till he's in there for real.
I don't see Favre coming back next year, UNLESS the Packers make the playoffs this year.
Elway had a STRONG team around him his last 2 years. Heck....they even got away with breaking the rules for him. (salary cap) If Favre had that strong of a team around him, i honestly believe his INT numbers would drop and TD's rise. Maybe the Packer D getting better can take some of that pressure off of him.

Members online

No members online now.