1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Packers best WR?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by GreenBlood, Jan 1, 2012.

1. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Okay, we hear it every game and read it regularly all over the internet. "... the Packers best receiver, Greg Jennings..."

Is that true? Jordy has clearly arrived this year (I think he probably had more drops in the SB last year than he had all this year) and while I would not say he is better than Jennings, I really don't think you can make a convincing case that Jennings is any better than Jordy either. He should have been in the Pro Bowl ahead of Larry Fitzgerald, who had 3 more catches, 1 less yard and SEVEN fewer touchdowns. In fact, I'd say the starters should be Calvin Johnson and Jordy Nelson.

I guess it just seems to me it's time to stop labeling Jordy as second best.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ceodore

Ceodore Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +212
    Jenning might still be a little bit better all-around receiver, but i think Jordy has better hands. He NEVER seems to drop a ball.

3. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    I've thought all year Nelson was the best receiver on this team.

He never drops the ball...Forget the drops in the Super Bowl, he has surely learned his lesson. No disrespect to Jennings, but my choice is clearly Jordy as the new Go to guy.

4. Ceodore

Ceodore Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +212
    He laid down a MEAN stiff arm on one of his TD catches today. The guy crumbled from it.

5. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +420
    Don Hutson

Oh you mean modern day, Jennings and Nelson are nipping at each other heels with no clear cut lead. I say this thinking Jennings is better in an open field, Nelson for his amazing catches and runs.

6. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    I think it should be both Nelson and Jennings. Both have played exceptionally well. Nelson is perhaps the best surprise and the most improved. Jennings had a late season injury but I won't hold that against him. If I were forced to choose between the two, I'd actually go with Jennings even as good as Nelson has been playing. Jennings brings experience and reliability. Plus his connection and chemistry with Rodgers is borderline telepathy. I'm going with my gut on this one, without looking at their stats.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754

This.

BTW nothing wrong with having a potential 1a and a 1b at receiver. It's a good problem to have. :) I give Jennings the slight edge for the reason's you mentioned.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    I remember when he was drafted a guy on the alt.football.pro.gb-packers newsgroup made the statement that Nelson could become one of the best white WRs of all time. Screw that! This year he was one of the top 3 or 4 PERIOD. I'm just glad I was able to draft him in the 8th round of my fantasy league (in a 12 team league) :) We have two keepers and he is definitely one of them. Now I just have to decide between Marshawn Lynch and Victor Cruz for the other.

9. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    On the other hand, Jordy has shown himself to be a big play receiver (leads the NFL in yards/catch) and I think he's a bigger red zone threat, where Jennings has a tendency to disappear a little bit. I think if I had no choice but to trade one of them, I'd probably just trade whichever garnered the better offer. I'm just glad we have the best tandem in the NFL.

10. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    I would trade nelson for Fitz in a heartbeat. (drooling)

11. Kitten

Ratings:
    +1,442
    He certainly has. I'd also call him the most improved player on the team. But, like Jules said, it doesn't hurt to have a 1a and 1b. I like to have my cake and eat it too.

Speaking of red zone threats, we have an arsenal of them. I don't know if I would define Nelson as the bigger or best red zone threat, that's a title I still think belongs to Jennings, albeit by a marginal lead.

12. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Jennings is a small guy who gets most of his yards in the open field and takes it to the house with his legs. It would be interesting to know how many of his TDs came from inside the red zone, but I don't think it would be very many. In the RZ you generally want big guys who can win the jump balls to the corner of the endzone. I think Jordy is that guy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kitten

Ratings:
    +1,442
    I'll agree with you there. I want to look up how many of Jordy's TD receptions came from within the endzone itself. I would think the number would be high. So Jordy is better at short passes (redzone/ endzone) and Jennings on the open field long run... I'd agree with that.

14. dbain21

dbain21 Chicagoland Packer Fan

Ratings:
    +143
    I think jennings has the slight edge still, but nelson has clearly proven himself, in the reg. and post season. The one thing i think jennings has over nelson is consistency. Jennings has been the number one receiver for years now, and he hasn't really fallen off except for injuries. When I think of the two Jennings is the better route runner, where as nelson is the sure hands kind of receiver who rarely drops it (other than in the SB game) and is great when the play breaks down.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ThorMatthews

ThorMatthews Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +77
    I think Jennings like everyone else is saying is the better overall package, but I can't help but love me some White Lightning.

16. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +848
    Jennings is the best receiver on the Packers and one of the eight best receivers in the league. Nelson is a close second and deserves Pro Bowl considerations and a ton of accolades. Nelson is really coming into his own.

17. whoartthou

whoartthou Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +40
    IMO while jennings is the "better" WR, give me nelson in clutch any day

18. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    I'd still give it to Jennings. I think as far as hands I'd give it to Jennings too as well as route running. Jennings might be one of the best route runners in the league right now. He's efficient as a receiver whether we send him deep or on the short slants or crossing routes.

19. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    Jennings has some Marvin Harrison in him.

20. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    I can see that. I also think Jordy has a bit of James Lofton in him.

21. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    Definitely. Not an equal to Marvin Harrison but he is definitely one of the more complete all around receivers around. He can make plays anywhere, he gets in a out of breaks fast, he has great hands, runs all the routes, he can make the tough catch in traffic, he's strong enough for fight for extra yardage, he can fight guys for possession. He's a complete receiver.

22. LombardiChick

LombardiChick Win or lose, I love this team.

Ratings:
    +682
    Flattened that guy. I loved that. Would make a nice gif. Lol

23. LombardiChick

LombardiChick Win or lose, I love this team.

Ratings:
    +682
    Can't remember what game it was (Giants?), but remember that crazy corkscrew catch along the sideline? Awesome. Love Jordy.

24. okcpackerfan

okcpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +186
    it was vs the giants

25. okcpackerfan

okcpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +186
    my opinion is that jennings is slightly better than jordy at this point in time, but its a good problem for us to have.