Packers Best in NFL

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SI's Peter King Calls Packers Best Team in NFL
By Dan O'Donnell
Story Created: May 17, 2010 at 10:55 AM CDT
Green Bay is getting some serious love from one of the most respected football writers in the country. Peter King of Sports Illustrated picks the Pack as the top team in his extremely early NFL Power Rankings.

1. Green Bay.
It's not just the maturation of Aaron Rodgers. It's the carryover from a fluky end to 2009 (the weird playoff loss at Arizona) and the fact that only one team in football -- New Orleans -- had a better point differential than the Pack's plus-164 last year. I like Jermichael Finley to become a great player in his second starting season. I don't trust the pass-rush (where Clay Matthews is the only real thing), and I worry about two of the top three corners coming off ACL surgery, and aging. But the defensive front is formidable, and a very good match for the good run teams of the AFC North. I also like Weeks 2 through 5 on the schedule (Buffalo, at Chicago, Detroit, at Washington), which sets up for a strong start.

Maybe King isn't the dunce I've thought!!

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm.... I love the packers and all but to say that the Packers are the best team in the NFL right now is a bit too extreme. Especially as a fan it's tough to say that you're team isn't the best, but I look at it from a realistic perspective. And how to do that you ask? Well let's take last year's superbowl team and match them up one on one in an imaginary game against the Packers. Do you think the Packers would win against them? It's tough to tell but its about even. I'd say the Pack make it a close game but the Saints still end up on top. The Packers are not the best team in the NFL but definitely in the top 3 or 5.

lancer84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't Peter King the one who said that the Bears were gonna win the super bowl last year?...its too early, dont buy it. Were a great team but we need some key players to really step up this year. (B. Jones, Williams, , Raji, O-line..etc). I do agree we're probably in the top 5, 4th probably.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peter King was a ****** when he was drooling all over Favre. He then got treated the same way we did, with the retire, unretire, go play for the rivals BS, and got tired of Favre.

I like that he likes us, but last year he predicted the Bears to win the SB, and ranked the Saints as his #24 in the same preseason rankngs...

My opinion is pretty clear, I think we can play with the best of them. But we need to be on our A game for 60 minutes, for 4 quarters, and not just 3 quarters. We cannot keep starting slowly.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Hmmm.... I love the packers and all but to say that the Packers are the best team in the NFL right now is a bit too extreme. Especially as a fan it's tough to say that you're team isn't the best, but I look at it from a realistic perspective. And how to do that you ask? Well let's take last year's superbowl team and match them up one on one in an imaginary game against the Packers. Do you think the Packers would win against them? It's tough to tell but its about even. I'd say the Pack make it a close game but the Saints still end up on top. The Packers are not the best team in the NFL but definitely in the top 3 or 5.
With everyone healthy. I would say it depends on were and when the game is played. At the beginning of the season, say game 4 in Green Bay, I would bet on the Pack. Game 14 in New Orleans, probably the Saints. The Saints are not as good as you think they are.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With everyone healthy. I would say it depends on were and when the game is played. At the beginning of the season, say game 4 in Green Bay, I would bet on the Pack. Game 14 in New Orleans, probably the Saints. The Saints are not as good as you think they are.
Agreed but who is?

Point me to one complete team in the NFL...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An argument could be made for Minnesota w/Favre. Monster defense, monster passing game, monster running attack, and monster special teams. They aren't weak in any area, really.
Their secondary is their weak link. They have one GREAT, but old corner, and then nothing, really... They get by with their great front 7. This considering that Favre will have the kind of season he just had, which is very improbable, given he's 41. Their OL was shaky later in the season. Their DL could be facing suspension for a stretch, and one of their DL is 37. I don't know the status of Henderson... Don't think too highly of Lieber, but their LB corpse is solid...

I agree, they're one helluva team. But they're not complete by any stretch, and they're the vikings. They'll find a way to lose.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Their secondary is their weak link. They have one GREAT, but old corner, and then nothing, really... They get by with their great front 7. This considering that Favre will have the kind of season he just had, which is very improbable, given he's 41. Their OL was shaky later in the season. Their DL could be facing suspension for a stretch, and one of their DL is 37. I don't know the status of Henderson... Don't think too highly of Lieber, but their LB corpse is solid...

I agree, they're one helluva team. But they're not complete by any stretch, and they're the vikings. They'll find a way to lose.

They are not dead yet! Just getting old!

Wishful thinking? :happy0005:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are not dead yet! Just getting old!

Wishful thinking? :happy0005:
LOL at the extra "e"... And didn't know they were old...

Anyway... What do you think about perfect teams?

To me the last one to come along was NE in 2007, and yet they were beaten.

Do you see any this year? You know, outside the vikings, of course?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings pass defense is better than ours.
It's not just about the cover guys; it's more about the pass rush.

Have people learned that a good-great pass rush can cover up a lot of Jarrett Bush and Josh Bell?

But a bad pass rush can make even Charles Woodson or Traymon Williams look bad.

Peter King knows as much about the future as we do.
We know more about the Packers than he does.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's pray to God we won't have to resort to trotting out Bush and Bell in our nickel and dime packages this year! :prayer:

If the Williams are suspended at the start of the year that can hurt MN's D line. I think losing Taylor will hurt their running game too.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im a big Peter King fan, I have met him a few times and he is a great guy. He is pretty found of Wisconsin too. He called me out of the blue on something in January, really random, still wondering how he got my number. I understand peoples complaints about him and agree with some of them but I think he is the best writer for the NFL. Few things to me are a must read, and his column is.

As far as the Packer being #1, f*ck were screwed. jk. I dont think we deserve it at all though. Since the Saints have not lost anything I cant see putting them anywhere but #1. Same with the Colts at #2. Leave the Vikings ahead of us as well until we beat them. I think Dallas and San Diego are just as good as us. Jets I have a wait and see mentality on them. Everyone else is not as good as we are.

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that the bot's post has been deleted I think this guy is a moron sorry Bears winning superbowl behind Jay Cutler is he for real? I would like to think we might be a top 5 team but even the Dolphins are pretty high on this list :D LMAO

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
LOL at the extra "e"... And didn't know they were old...

Anyway... What do you think about perfect teams?

To me the last one to come along was NE in 2007, and yet they were beaten.

Do you see any this year? You know, outside the vikings, of course?
I don't consider the Vikings perfect by any stretch of the imagination. I don't consider the Pats of 07 to be perfect either. Very few teams would be considered perfect as far as I am concerned. There are way to many variables these days. 40 years ago I think it was easier to put together a "near perfect" team. The 70's Steelers come to mind. Just a collection of really good players playing within their capabilities.

Now, as to the rankings. You don't want to be number one at this time of the year. The Saints are not as good as everyone makes them out to be. They played well last year. They have changed, lost some players, Charles Grant comes to mind. And if the Williams are suspend 4 games so will be the Saints W. Smith. Have they found a suitable replacement for Grant? Alex Brown from the Bears? Good question. Sharper more then likely will not have another season like he did last year. I don't think they will go 12-4 this year. 11-5 maybe.

MN's "old Corner" is still younger then the Packers "old corners". And for those that profess that MN's Defense is getting old. Consider this. The average starting age of the defensive starters on the Packers is 28.3, and on the Vikings it is 29.4 with Old Pat, and with his backup in it's 28.4. But keep thinking the Vikings D is getting old. For those wondering about the O-line ages, considering who is likely to start for both teams, the O-line ages go like this. Packers 29.2, Vikings 28.4.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll just wait until I hear a one eyed fat lady singing........and we pick last in next years draft!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very few teams would be considered perfect as far as I am concerned. There are way to many variables these days. 40 years ago I think it was easier to put together a "near perfect" team. The 70's Steelers come to mind. Just a collection of really good players playing within their capabilities.

You know your good when the weak point on your team is a HOF QB

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to point out King is the only major media figure to defend the Packers greatest player of all time's place in NFL history. If it wasnt for King he wouldnt even be mentioned...

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to point out King is the only major media figure to defend the Packers greatest player of all time's place in NFL history. If it wasnt for King he wouldnt even be mentioned...

Is Peter a big Bart Starr fan?

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That made me smile, but no, Don Hutson. Says he is the greatest player of all time.

Wow, I didn't know that. I've lost some regard for Peter since he's defended the Deserter, but this eases things somewhat. Did you know that Johnny Blood at the end of his career could run with Hutson at the start of his career?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No I didnt. I know there is a book on Blood, I will have to pick it up. Is that where you saw that?

Members online

Latest posts