Packers becoming "corporate"?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Interesting read. I found particularly interesting the portion of the story regarding the move of the Packers Hall of Fame into the Atrium with the renovation. Always found it interesting that the founders and administrators of the Packers Hall of Fame WEREN'T the Green Bay Packers themselves...the history of that entity is pretty interesting as well.

Anyway, good read:
http://www.postcrescent.com/article...ower-shift?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always thought it was part of the Packers, didn't know it was run separate from the team. The team has to grow and often that means pulling in people from outside the community as well as the state, it's the only way they will stay profitable and in Green Bay, even if it means they become more "corporate", they have to keep up with the league. With the renovation in 2000 and the expansion in the next couple years the team will stay relevant, I would rather that then they be forced to move, even if it was only to Milwaukee, or worse yet out of WI.

AaronShockley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team would never move. They still pull a profit after they pay everyone. At that rate, they don't, and won't ever need to move. Yes they may take over the HOF, and this that and the other, but they won't ever leave.

L

Lunchboxer

I always thought it was part of the Packers, didn't know it was run separate from the team. The team has to grow and often that means pulling in people from outside the community as well as the state, it's the only way they will stay profitable and in Green Bay, even if it means they become more "corporate", they have to keep up with the league. With the renovation in 2000 and the expansion in the next couple years the team will stay relevant, I would rather that then they be forced to move, even if it was only to Milwaukee, or worse yet out of WI.

Oh gawd. The Los angeles Packers....:confused:

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the (stadium) referendum hadn't passed (in 2000), the Packers (by now) certainly would be looking at being forced out of Green Bay,"

This is where they lost me. If it wouldn't have passed. Riiiiiiight. Because that was a big "if". "If", indeed. So we're playing the "If Game" now? OK, OK, I'll go first; "IF Roger Goodel was half-human half-robot, THEN..."

So now you finish this statement and are challenged to come up with an even better one!

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the (stadium) referendum hadn't passed (in 2000), the Packers (by now) certainly would be looking at being forced out of Green Bay,"

This is where they lost me. If it wouldn't have passed. Riiiiiiight. Because that was a big "if". "If", indeed. So we're playing the "If Game" now? OK, OK, I'll go first; "IF Roger Goodel was half-human half-robot, THEN..."

So now you finish this statement and are challenged to come up with an even better one!

idk if you remember, but that was one of the concerns and why they pushed to get it done. Lambeau was built in 1957, they didn't have a lot of the stuff they do now that helps them stay competitive, including the "non-football" stuff that brings in a lot of money for the team. I think if it hadn't, there would have been a push to move the team to Milwaukee area, just due to the market difference. But since it's done, it doesn't matter.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. But the writer insinuates that the team was one failed referendum away from being shipped out of town; that Green Bay's balls were mere inches from the bandsaw. If that's the case, is there any chance the voters don't would do what they've gotta do to keep the team at home? Was there any, I mean any, doubt that the referendum would get passed? C'mon...

More great sports "journalism"...

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
I don't see them moving. They want be elite. What a better foundation to stand on than the tradition they enjoy? They are and always will be the GREEN BAY PACKERS. It would be hard to walk away from that. Not to mention the people of Green Bay. They are loved and taken care of.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. But the writer insinuates that the team was one failed referendum away from being shipped out of town; that Green Bay's balls were mere inches from the bandsaw. If that's the case, is there any chance the voters don't would do what they've gotta do to keep the team at home? Was there any, I mean any, doubt that the referendum would get passed? C'mon...

More great sports "journalism"...

Yeah there was, Wolf had to go door to door in GB to persuade people to vote for the referendum, and even then it only passed by 53 to 47.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah there was, Wolf had to go door to door in GB to persuade people to vote for the referendum, and even then it only passed by 53 to 47.

Well! I did not know that. Should've looked it up. I still don't think there's any way that Green Bay loses this team, and that's the fear that the writer creates to try to make his article more compelling.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree 100% and am somewhat concerned of the Packers front office losing sight that this is a community team. The connections to GB, and the whole state are extremely deep. Thank god for the board, if anyone ever gets it in their head that this is their team and not the team of the people they will be reminded very very quickly.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well! I did not know that. Should've looked it up. I still don't think there's any way that Green Bay loses this team, and that's the fear that the writer creates to try to make his article more compelling.

I agree, that idea is insane.

As far as the referendum, its a great point for other teams who are looking to get money through tax payers. Its extremely hard, and the Vikings know if it squeaked by in GB, it will go down in flames in MN.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Much ado about almost nothing IMO. Because Jason Wied, who said he had health problems, left the franchise and because they actually conducted a professional search for a president and other front office personnel, they are straining their ties to the community? Really? While Harlan worked his way up the organizational ladder, he was born in Iowa and had worked for the MLB Cardinals. OMG, he wasn't even born in Wisconsin, let alone Green Bay!! Perhaps he loved baseball more than football!!!

Hire the most competent people you can find regardless of where they were born. The test should be "extreme" competence and extreme loyalty to the organization. If the employees pass those tests, the franchise will be fine. Honestly, is there any Packers fan who is less a fan because Jason Wied left and took his ties to the community with him?

BTW bozz_2006, Bob Harlan thought the franchise was in jeopardy if the referendum didn't pass. And yes, there was doubt it would pass. Harlan worked like an out of state politician trying to win a local election: He met workers at the beginning and end of their shifts, met with even small groups, kissed babies, etc. Here's a sampling of what Harlan had to say about it.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/99999999/PKR01/70503159/Special-report-Harlan-recounts-contentious-Lambeau-referendum-campaign

BTW, I count two things as Harlan's huge achievements in Green Bay. First he corrected the structure of the organization putting one man in charge of all football operations. (Hiring the right guy - even though he wasn't from Wisconsin or Green Bay was a great bonus IMO.) And second, he got that referendum passed. And if you think that was a slam dunk, consider this: What percentage of Brown county residents were Packers fans in 2000? If that percentage would have voted yes on the sales tax, it would have been a slam dunk, but they didn't. There was concern that the Packers 0-2 start to the 2000 season would affect the vote and in a McGinn article before the vote he said a poll showed it to be a dead heat. The sales tax won 53%-47%. Hardly a landslide.

We all know there isn't a billionaire owner who can pump money into the franchise. Without those renovations, Harlan painted a bleak financial future for the team. I'm glad we don't have to worry about that now, but back then I remember being very worried the renovation vote would go the other way.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much ado about almost nothing IMO. Because Jason Wied, who said he had health problems, left the franchise and because they actually conducted a professional search for a president and other front office personnel, they are straining their ties to the community? Really? While Harlan worked his way up the organizational ladder, he was born in Iowa and had worked for the MLB Cardinals. OMG, he wasn't even born in Wisconsin, let alone Green Bay!! Perhaps he loved baseball more than football!!!

Hire the most competent people you can find regardless of where they were born. The test should be "extreme" competence and extreme loyalty to the organization. If the employees pass those tests, the franchise will be fine. Honestly, is there any Packers fan who is less a fan because Jason Wied left and took his ties to the community with him?

BTW bozz_2006, Bob Harlan thought the franchise was in jeopardy if the referendum didn't pass. And yes, there was doubt it would pass. Harlan worked like an out of state politician trying to win a local election: He met workers at the beginning and end of their shifts, met with even small groups, kissed babies, etc. Here's a sampling of what Harlan had to say about it.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/99999999/PKR01/70503159/Special-report-Harlan-recounts-contentious-Lambeau-referendum-campaign

BTW, I count two things as Harlan's huge achievements in Green Bay. First he corrected the structure of the organization putting one man in charge of all football operations. (Hiring the right guy - even though he wasn't from Wisconsin or Green Bay was a great bonus IMO.) And second, he got that referendum passed. And if you think that was a slam dunk, consider this: What percentage of Brown county residents were Packers fans in 2000? If that percentage would have voted yes on the sales tax, it would have been a slam dunk, but they didn't. There was concern that the Packers 0-2 start to the 2000 season would affect the vote and in a McGinn article before the vote he said a poll showed it to be a dead heat. The sales tax won 53%-47%. Hardly a landslide.

We all know there isn't a billionaire owner who can pump money into the franchise. Without those renovations, Harlan painted a bleak financial future for the team. I'm glad we don't have to worry about that now, but back then I remember being very worried the renovation vote would go the other way.
lol Harlan does love baseball more than football. He will admit that, as his favorite topic is the cards. He barely pays attention to the nfl draft anymore.

Members online

Latest posts