Packers and Mason Crosby agree to 4 year deal.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
..........and a hot waitress! You forgot the hot waitress!;)
TT gave Mason Jacob Schum as his "hot waitress" and the two of them have been serving them up just fine!

I am just glad that Mason has lived up to and in my mind, exceeded his contract value with that clutch performance in Dallas. I know when the numbers came out most fans were scratching their heads at the new contract. I won't lie, I was happy to have Mason back, but wondered if TT had overpaid a bit and was trying to justify it and "be ok" with it. At the end of the day, the "extra money" may have just kept us alive in the playoffs. Had we been in that same position with another guy, maybe an UDFA rookie, not sure we would be talking about the game coming up this Sunday.

Thank you Mason for making us all happy TT kept you around!

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
There´s no doubt Crosby has had a successful season in 2016 and his two clutch kicks at Dallas were an elite performance but I still believe the Packers overpaid to keep him in Green Bay.
Will you be saying the same thing if he kicks the game winner on Feb 5? ;)

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There´s no doubt Crosby has had a successful season in 2016 and his two clutch kicks at Dallas were an elite performance but I still believe the Packers overpaid to keep him in Green Bay.
The man's earned his chili. Period. He's 26/28 in his postseason career with the 2 misses coming from 50 and 54, respectively. He owns the record for most consecutive kicks made in PS history. According to Elias he's the first K in league history to bury 2 50+ yard kicks in the final 2 minutes of a postseason game. The 56 yarder stands as the 3rd longest kick in postseason history. Those kicks were on the road in the highest possible stress situations. With the way the D was collapsing I believe if he's not money on both those kicks we're reading "AR can't get it done again" and "Greatest comeback ever?" stories instead of Packer/Falcon breakdowns. He's earned his pay.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Crosby´s performance doesn´t change my opinion that paying a kicker more than $4 million per season isn´t a smart way to handle the salary cap.
I respect that, but my personal opinion is that I'll deal with it if we get performances like we did against Dallas.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While some may feel Crosby was a bit overpaid to start the season, I believe overpaying a kicker a "mere" $500K - $1 M is really chicken feed in the grand scheme of NFL contracts and total team cap. Sure, had Crosby had a terrible year, we would be having a different conversation, but I think the Salary Cap can get blown in more damaging ways than this and if you go down the salary list of Packer players, you will see where.

D

Deleted member 6794

The man's earned his chili. Period. He's 26/28 in his postseason career with the 2 misses coming from 50 and 54, respectively. He owns the record for most consecutive kicks made in PS history. According to Elias he's the first K in league history to bury 2 50+ yard kicks in the final 2 minutes of a postseason game. The 56 yarder stands as the 3rd longest kick in postseason history. Those kicks were on the road in the highest possible stress situations. With the way the D was collapsing I believe if he's not money on both those kicks we're reading "AR can't get it done again" and "Greatest comeback ever?" stories instead of Packer/Falcon breakdowns. He's earned his pay.

I respect that, but my personal opinion is that I'll deal with it if we get performances like we did against Dallas.

While some may feel Crosby was a bit overpaid to start the season, I believe overpaying a kicker a "mere" $500K - $1 M is really chicken feed in the grand scheme of NFL contracts and total team cap. Sure, had Crosby had a terrible year, we would be having a different conversation, but I think the Salary Cap can get blown in more damaging ways than this and if you go down the salary list of Packer players, you will see where.

I'm quite sure that I'm one of only few posters still believing Crosby is overpaid. I understand the reasoning behind thinking differently after his clutch performance at Dallas though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm quite sure that I'm one of only few posters still believing Crosby is overpaid. I understand the reasoning behind thinking differently after his clutch performance at Dallas though.

You know I was on the fence with this when Mason was signed. The thing I keep falling back on is the cost VS reward of the contract.

Had Mason had a mediocre season, which any kicker could have, we really didn't lose a whole lot. However, I think we saw the upside of having Mason pretty much all season, with his two clutch kicks being the defining moment. As someone else said, he earned his bacon in a big time way Not sure what his 2 kicks will eventually bring the Packers in additional revenue, but in my mind, they were priceless.

If Datone Jones gets a strip fumble sack and rumbles for a game winning TD in the closing moments of Sunday's game, salary earned.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After reading a couple stats you posted at the beginning of this post... I sort of agree. lol
But from a perspective, of what our options were... I think we made the right decision. And these last few kicks justified the move.

Sky King

Reaction score
He's not even old enough to be the next Eddie Murray, Jan Stenerud, Gary Anderson, Ryan Longwell, etc. But he could have been a future icon for some other team had the Packers let him loose to save a few bucks.

Cost and value. Sometimes it takes a while to truly appreciate the relationship.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby´s performance doesn´t change my opinion that paying a kicker more than $4 million per season isn´t a smart way to handle the salary cap.
I'm one of the few posters that was firmly behind Crosby, even immediately after 2012. I saw a bad year from a player that I felt was strong enough to still be a good kicker. I agree with you that the contract was a little rich, but liked the analogy of paying for what you know. Paying more for something you know can be a smart way to handle the salary cap when you balance it against paying less for something you don't know. We've hashed over the devil you know versus the devil you don't a million times, but firmly believe that the top playoff teams need dependable veterans at key positions and PK is one of them.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't actually click disagree here.... but I do lol.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can a player be overpaid and still be worth it? In a sense I agree with WIMM that 4 million is too much to pay a kicker. Just like you can pick any position and any salary that is over the highest paid and say that's too much to pay for that position. On the other hand you have to look at who the player is and what he can do. Is that salary too much to pay for that position? It really depends on the player and if he can deliver clutch performances like Mason did on Sunday I think it make overpaying a bit not so bad.

Then there is the issue that Poker brought up. In my mind it is not simply that we are paying a kicker 4 million. We would have to pay a kicker no matter what so the issue is what would we have to pay a comparable kicker. 3 million? 2 Million, league minimum? The answer to that question is impossible to know until we replace Mason with a comparable kicker and there is no way to know if any kicker is going to be comparable until the switch is made. That means we give up a known commodity for a shot in the dark to save a couple of million bucks. IMO it isn't worth it.

OP
OP
C-Lee

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Money well spent. Thank you for Sunday, Mason! You're a beast!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Rodgers loses MVP to Matt Ryan, is he overpaid? Ryan the MVP would make over $1m / year less the Rodgers so Aaron should really be considered overpaid. http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Or Ryan is underpaid?

Personally, I think they are ALL overpaid LOL.....but that's a whole other argument.

I don't read much into one season or the award in the way of their current contracts. Nor do I think Ryan is better than Rodgers. Granted, my views are biased, as well as I really haven't watched much of anything that Ryan has done.

Ryan wears #2 and in my book.......Aaron has earned the #1 in front of his #2

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that people on this forum made some of the same comparisons, that Aaron didn't have as many game winning drives as other elite quarterbacks, the same argument used against Crosby's contract.

It's a little bit of an unbalanced comparison, but comparing Crosby's post-meltdown average to other kickers in 2016, he's done the following:

Crosby 2013-2016 Average
100%_-_0-19
100%_-_20-29
92.3%_-_30-39
75.0%_-_40-49
66.7%_-_50+ yards
85.9% Avg FG%

2016 NFL Average
100%_-_0-19
96.8%_-_20-29
91.8%_-_30-39
79.4%_-_40-49
56.7%_-_50+ yards
84.2% Avg FG%

This might support Captain's claim that he's not worth top 5 kicker money, but he's been above average and clutch in the playoffs when we need him most. That might even it all up.