1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Packers and Mason Crosby agree to 4 year deal.

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by C-Lee, Mar 1, 2016.

1. C-Lee

C-Lee Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +350
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    For a guy who most of us at one point wanted to get rid of at least once, he has carved out a nice career for himself

3. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    Well, that answers the kicker question :)

4. TeamTundra

TeamTundra Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +240
    I didn't realize that Crosby set a NFL record with twenty two consecutive
    field goals made in playoff games. I like the signing and hope we also bring
    back Mike Neal and possibly Starks and Kuhn.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,174
    I like Crosby well enough, but I just really can't understand paying $4M a season in a cap driven league to a league average at best kicker.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Wynnebeck

Wynnebeck Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    WHAT THE HELL!?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TeamTundra

TeamTundra Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +240
    Everyone freaked when they saw Guion's deal on the surface without knowing
    the contract details. This maybe a similar situation with how the contract is
    structured.

8. metallicblaze

metallicblaze Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +33
    I'm interested in seeing what the hits look like. Hopefully it's structured nicely.

9. Sky King

Sky King Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +950
    It looks like it is similar to his most recent deal with extra money added. If so, then the cap hit will pretty much be the same compared to his past contract. It's not like he's going to get another $4 million a year on top of his old salary. More? Yes, but not prohibitively more based upon the numbers that have been reported, so far.

10. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,174
    Well, 'extra money' added is kind of a big deal. It's not prohibitive, but it's a 35% raise off his last per year average. That's pretty significant.

11. Sky King

Sky King Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +950
    I agree that its a lot of money but not nearly what we'll see encumbered to keep players at other positions. Personally, I don't think it will prevent TT from signing other players he really wants.

12. CashInFist

CashInFist Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +68
    You guys must not remember what it was like to have a kicker that sucks, lol. Glad to see this deal get done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ChesterfieldCheesehead

ChesterfieldCheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +12
    This better be constructed well. If not pretty dumb to pay that much I love the signing and the length but over 4 mil a year come on I think he needed to be signed and I would have hated to see him walk but that's a lot.

14. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,174
    I do, it was Mason Crosby in 2012.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Pkrjones

Pkrjones Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +324
    Crosby was the 16th highest paid kicker in the NFL prior to today, now he's the 3rd highest paid. He does what he's asked to do on kickoffs, whether it's high w/ hang time or out of the end zone.

2012 was a "clunker" year for him and with that 64% FG percentage pulled out he's well over 80% on FG, and over 58% from 50+ yds.

Not sure why they gave him such a huge raise, but the alternative (FA or rookie kicker) could have been significantly worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. 4zone

4zone Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +42
    Since QB's don't technically score TD's when passing, the kicker is usually the highest scoring player on most teams. Also, 4Mil this year is not the same as 4Mil last year with the ever increasing cap number, averages at every position go up every year now pretty much.

Three down, how many left to go...???

17. jrock645

jrock645 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +64
    Lol so much for the expert that said the Pack would be foolish to pay more than $3m per season... Hahahahahaha

18. jrock645

jrock645 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +64
    The devil you know is better than the devil you don't... Crosby is pretty good and I'm glad we're able to maintain continuity. Just seems like we might've overpaid a bit. But, it is a TT draft pick after all... Ted will gladly overpay to keep one of his own.

19. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,592
    Just because Thompson paid Crosby more than $3 million, once again overpaying to re-sign one of his draft picks, doesn't make it a good deal.

During his career Crosby has finished in the top 10 in FG percentage only once (10th in 2011) but outside of the top 20 in six (!!!) of his nine seasons, yet TT felt it's necessary to make him the third highest paid kicker in the league.

Extremely disappointed with the deal, especially considering we will be in need of cap space next offseason.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. LarrysCrookedFinger

LarrysCrookedFinger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +115
    And he's been money ever since. In a kicker-hostile venue, you'd be hard pressed to find a kicker who could do better than Crosby the past 3 seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. LarrysCrookedFinger

LarrysCrookedFinger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +115
    Did it occur to you that he doesn't get to kick in a dome at least 8 times a year? Or that Green Bay is one of the most difficult places to kick in the NFL? Most of your top 10 kickers every year wouldn't be in the top 10 if they kicked in GB.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. CashInFist

CashInFist Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +68
    I mean seriously, dude is good.

23. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,592
    Crosby has attempted a total of 78 field goals outdoors with the temperature under 40 degrees. This number accounts for only 26.4% of his total FG attempts.

He has made 60 of those kicks (76.9%), a percentage that once again ranks outside of the top 20 under those circumstances.

Just taking a look at last season, the Patriots and Steelers kickers were ranked in the top 10 in FG percentage playing for cold weather teams.

Considering it being tough to kick in Green Bay, kickers for road teams have made a combined 84.2% of all FGs at Lambeau Field since 2007 while Crosby has made only 79.6% while being used to the conditions.

However you want to look at it, Crosby is a below average kicker now being paid like an elite one.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  24. Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +269

Exactly right. Now, hopefully Masthay remembers how to punt, or we find someone who does.

25. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,592
    I hope the Packers at least bring in competition for Masthay.