Packers and Jaylon Smith closing in on a deal

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can generally get on board with what you're saying Mondio, but at the same time, I don't think most front offices would let a good player go to a potential playoff rival within the same conference unless they were sure that said player was going to hurt the new team. They would have guided him towards an AFC team.
Just found this article. Maybe I was right?!?

Tass

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think it actually still upgrades our defense. When Barnes was injured Summers was his replacement. All Summers did was play out of position and jump on the pile after the ball carrier was tackled. I'm embellishing a bit here, but if Summers is on the field our defense is in trouble.

To add another quick point here too, as others have stated, the price was right to take the risk.

Oh, Jaylon excels at jumping on the pile. We have been making jokes about that for years.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I had to laugh at this article. The Author really needs to keep her stories and opinions straight. In the one you posted, the Packers got screwed in another one she wrote, the 3 teams that didn't get him got screwed. F***ing which one is it? Media click bait crap.

Tass

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One flaw in your assessment, well not a flaw exactly but a difference is that the cowboys have players that are better than Smith at the position whereas the Packers do not.

Basically what Krabs said.

That is REALLY difficult to believe. There were times when having Smith on the field was akin to having 10 guys out there.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That is REALLY difficult to believe. There were times when having Smith on the field was akin to having 10 guys out there.
Yes and there are times when having our (Packers) ILB out there it was akin to having zero guys out on the field.

Smith is simply an upgrade over our #2 ILB and beyond.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Wow. Ok, well, you guys settle in, then. Maybe he's actually going to help you.
This is why the board is so fired up about Smith, the Packers have really been weak at ILB for too many seasons. I don't think any of us are expecting him to play at a Pro Bowl level, but even if he played at a toilet bowl level, once might see an improvement in our defense.

Not to mention he cost us "peanuts" and if he walks after the season, I believe we get credit towards a compensatory pick. Which could be anywhere from a 3rd to a 7th round pick, depending on his new contract.

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think, without looking back, that the questioner wanted to see how the other side felt. Sort of how Colts fans feel about the FG.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. Ok, well, you guys settle in, then. Maybe he's actually going to help you.
It can't hurt. And there is little downside. Maybe he can rekindle that inner beast in a new system we know he has.

Besides, the calcium in all the cheese should improve his bone strength. A good steady diet of nature's most perfect food (the bratwurst) could really rejuvenate him. My uncle at 83 years old on his death bed, ate 2 brats and proceeded to get up and chop 2 chords of firewood. And the beer, why . . . Okay. I'm getting carried away.

We have our hopes up but should keep out options open.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Worst case scenario this defense is still a bend and hopefully not break defense (but probably still will). At vet minimum I like it even as a flyer at the position. If he's as bad as advertised, he rides the pine and we haven't lost much. But worth the look-see. I hope he plays this weekend.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Worst case scenario this defense is still a bend and hopefully not break defense (but probably still will). At vet minimum I like it even as a flyer at the position. If he's as bad as advertised, he rides the pine and we haven't lost much. But worth the look-see. I hope he plays this weekend.
MLF said he is unlikely to play due to just getting into town. Sounds like Berry hasn't even met him yet.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't see any reason to activate him yet. He doesn't know his new teammates, scheme, language, coaches or anything. He's the last of the 69 players I'd want to see in uniform this Sunday.

Reaction score
I just know one thing. Jaylon Smith is the the slowest leading tackler to ever play in the NFL.
It’s rumored he changed his Jersey # in between games to get credit for whomever has the most tackles. The going rate is $25,000 per game for your Jersey # and he pays cash weekly if you lead in tackles. If you make Probowl or Team Captain he pays $50,000 for your Jersey those weeks :tup:

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it is settled. Jaylon is still elite.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Tass

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another Jaylon trait. The man has absolutely no concept of himself that is based in reality. After bragging to reporters last year about how well he was playing (he was NOT), they asked him "What makes you think that?" and he replied "Watch the tape."

Dude, the tape shows you clueless, running around like a headless chicken, being washed out on every run play, and allowing ballcarriers to get big chunk plays before riding them down or jumping on the pile. Maybe he meant watch all of his silly 'swipe' moves after he makes a tackle even though the Cowboys were trailing big in the 4th quarter. Yep...plenty of tape showing that.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't see any reason to activate him yet. He doesn't know his new teammates, scheme, language, coaches or anything. He's the last of the 69 players I'd want to see in uniform this Sunday.

For obvious short yardage situations, I can see someone with more experience than who we have getting the nod. The guys can line him up and he'd know his gaps. If not, whatever, but obviously he would be situational. Guys gotta play at some point. Sherman played with short notice, and that's probably a way tougher position to go in and just play.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta be honest, I don't know what you're referring to here.
On Bart Starr's famous sneak during the Ice Bowl there are those who maintain Packers guard Jerry Kramer moved before the snap. If he did it wasn't called and the rest is, as they say, history.

You said you were old school and I thought you may have meant it literally.

I'll give you a pass on that one and let you stay. My guess is half the Packer fans on here didn't get it either.

Members online

Latest posts