Packers and Jaylon Smith closing in on a deal

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get the Jaylon Smith signing when cb is such a desperate situation. Is there such a huge difference between what Gilmore costs vs Jaylon that acquiring Gilmore was not possible ? Is Smith that much better than Barnes in 2021? He was a good player in 2019 but now he's a role player with Dallas. If they can get him back to the form he had in 2019, then this signing is a steal. Otherwise, he's dead weight on a team desperate for cb's.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am thinking that Jaylon Smith is an if since the cowboys let him go. But that could have been for cap reasons. If he is a player like he was in college; then the middle of our defense just became a huge strength. And I love that. I hope we are smart enough to continue to give Barnes reps. He is a tough sob. imho

This will cut into Barnes and Campbell snaps potentially BUT I also foresee some packages where Campbell or Smith are opposite Preston or Gary

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get the Jaylon Smith signing when cb is such a desperate situation. Is there such a huge difference between what Gilmore costs vs Jaylon that acquiring Gilmore was not possible ? Is Smith that much better than Barnes in 2021? He was a good player in 2019 but now he's a role player with Dallas. If they can get him back to the form he had in 2019, then this signing is a steal. Otherwise, he's dead weight on a team desperate for cb's.
packers already signed cb rasul douglas

Reaction score
Living in Texas, I see the Cowboys alot. Jaylon Smith is a shell of the player he was when he made the Pro Bowl in 19. The Cowboys let him go for a reason. I'm not overly thrilled with this pick up.
Jaylon Smith nearly led the league in Tackles last season. Smith was #2 in the NFL in 2020. By the way that surpassed Blake Martinez. Do you know what Blakes salary is? He makes over 10+ million annual. You don’t make 154 tackles being slow and you don’t have Mike MCarthy announce you’re the team Captain 3 days ago (2 weeks in a row!) if you’re a nobody. Trust me the Packers just got better.

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I understand Smith doesn't fit into the new defense that Dan Quinn is running, which is SUPER HEAVY on Nickel/Sub-Packages and Smith was more of a Base D ILB. Micah Parsons was also better than him from Day 1 and can also play on the Edge. They also drafted Jabril Cox who is trending up and plays Special Teams whereas Smith does not.

I get that Jaylon is not the same LB he used to be, but if it was between Summers, Burks, and Jaylon I'd ABSOLUTELY go with Jaylon in a heartbeat. I'd also like to see what Barry can do with him, maybe he regains that form he had 2 years ago roughly. Even if he never improves, he's leaps and bounds better than Summers and Burks. In fact, if it wasn't for Burks playing Special Teams, I'd have released both to free up roster spots for another position in lieu of signing Smith.

Guess when Z comes back we'll have the Smith Brothers Three.

Reaction score
I don't get the Jaylon Smith signing when cb is such a desperate situation
Yes. Gilmore was traded for a future 6th round draft selection and his remaining $7mil contract goes with him.

Jaylon’s was cut. His 2021 contract is in Dallas Books. Therefore he’s likely willing to sign another contract for far less.
GB will neither part with a draft pick and they’ll likely get Jaylon on a cheap partial 1 year deal. The total capital spent for the 2 comparison players at hand is nowhere close and GB could walk away entirely without so much as a surface bruise.

Last edited:

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
Jaylon Smith hasn't been good lately. I'm really hoping a change of scenery and scheme brings some life back into his play. Don't get hopes up too high, decent players don't get released mid season often.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Clap clap clap! :D

Welcome Aboard !

He was respected in Dallas as a D team captain. He’ll have low financial risk and high reward. Let Barry work with him it’s an early Christmas present to him
In case people didn't know..he was capt just this last game.

Also

graded out through four weeks as the NFL’s No. 11 ‘backer according to Pro Football Focus, which assigned Smith a 69.5 overall rating.

D

Deleted member 6794

Is there anyone you guys see that may get cut who could save even a little bit of cap space? Summers or Burks?

There's not a whole lot of cap space to be saved by either releasing Burks or Summers as both are making the league minimum for their experience.

Gilmore would have counted $5.4 million towards the cap for the rest of the season while the Packers could sign Smith for $770K for the remainder of it.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
When went to post no similar thread showed other than z smith

Ill merge

Technically mine said signed..yours didn't
Well that's because at the time, he wasn't signed.

Just admit that you whiffed. It happens to the best of us. Myself included. :cool:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that's because at the time, he wasn't signed.

Just admit that you whiffed. It happens to the best of us. Myself included. :cool:
Why do you always think you know what I am thinking?

I made the thread, the similar thread mod popped up..showed over 4..not one said jaylon.

You can choose to believe or not. At this point im done with you constantly attacking my thinking

Other mods can handle you..Ignore now in forced

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Why do you always think you know what I am thinking?

I made the thread, the similar thread mod popped up..showed over 4..not one said jaylon.

You can choose to believe or not. At this point im done with you constantly attacking my thinking

Other mods can handle you..Ignore now in forced
:roflmao:

I said nothing about what you were thinking.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I don't get why the signing of Smith should be looked at through the lens of the need at corner.

The Panthers had lots of cap space and were able to just trade for Gilmore straight up and absorb his current deal (5.8M cap hit) without any sort of restructure.

The Packers could not do that. I have no idea what they offered for him, but they weren't in as good a position to acquire him.

LB is also a need. Ty Summers and Oren Burks have played over 270 snaps so far.

As usual, you are going out of your way to try and find an excuse to skew negative. It's just the mirror imagine of a homer who thinks everything their team does is the most amazing thing that's ever happened.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He doesn't have to be the player he was, he just has to be better than the next man up. Ideally he surpasses expectations. If he wants to continue playing in this league, a one year prove it deal is perfect for us. It gives him incentive to earn that next contract (which probably won't be with us given our cap).
I will be very curious to see how a 2nd round former probowl ILB looks in our system. We haven't invested nearly enough in this position.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get why the signing of Smith should be looked at through the lens of the need at corner.

The Panthers had lots of cap space and were able to just trade for Gilmore straight up and absorb his current deal (5.8M cap hit) without any sort of restructure.

The Packers could not do that. I have no idea what they offered for him, but they weren't in as good a position to acquire him.

LB is also a need. Ty Summers and Oren Burks have played over 270 snaps so far.

As usual, you are going out of your way to try and find an excuse to skew negative. It's just the mirror imagine of a homer who thinks everything their team does is the most amazing thing that's ever happened.

Worth quoting for 100% accuracy. Now add in Rivers blowing ACL our LB room as a whole is that much more in need than it was even before.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
The Jaylon Smith signing makes a ton of sense. Low risk and could bolster the ILBs. I did check out the Twitter and all the Cowboys fans were saying we could have him and they hope to see him in the playoffs because he is so bad. I guess we will find out. Still glad they made the move.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The good news and good news with Jaylon. If he has a GREAT season and suddenly prices himself out of Green Bay, he could add a nice 3rd or 4th round 2023 compensatory pick. If he has an average season, its probably better than what they would have gotten from the current roster and that might allow the Packers to keep him in Green Bay past 2021. Basically, its a win win, unless of course he gets injured immediately or plays like garbage. The first scenario you have with any player and the second scenario, I don't think happens.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One man's trash is another's treasure I guess. I don't really pay attention to the cowboys, but he's a few years removed from that college injury and he's not old by any means. I wouldn't imagine his skills have eroded that much. Change of scenery might be enough, if that's even necessary for him to play well.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Jaylon Smith signing makes a ton of sense. Low risk and could bolster the ILBs. I did check out the Twitter and all the Cowboys fans were saying we could have him and they hope to see him in the playoffs because he is so bad. I guess we will find out. Still glad they made the move.
Same thing a lot of Packer fans said about Blake Martinez and Clay Matthews. While they weren't playing like Pro Bowlers in Green Bay, they both were decent players.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
With the injury to Rivers, unknown timeline on Z, this was a mandatory move. Even if he is just "decent" it gives the Packers some breathing room on defense. They can play him inside and I think Campbell can make him look better or rotate outside to give Preston and Gary a break. I loved his play as a Cowboy, but know 2020 was a down year for him...if we are being honest, 2020 was a down year for every cowboy last year so I am not quick to completely move on. If he plays inside, with Kenny in front of him, Campbell next to him and Amos behind/next to him he is in good company to succeed. All he has to be is decent to make this a great move by the front office.

Reaction score
"There are multiples factors that go into these decisions," McCarthy said on Wednesday. "That was definitely the case with Jaylon. Just a lot of things to go through, but at the end of the day had a chance to visit with him last night. I'm very thankful for my time with him here.

"We talked about his experience here in Dallas. We just felt this was the best time to make this decision. Obviously, there is never really a good time for these type of decisions. Basically, with all of the factors involved is why the decision was made yesterday."