Packers and Jaylon Smith closing in on a deal

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. This is a great signing. Don't understand why the Cowboys let him go. Last time I saw him play, he looked really good. Who would have thought prior to the season that ILB could be a strength for this team? Me. Never told anyone. But I knew it all along.
Jerry over paid and he is headed toward cap issues. Although the Boys are paying a chunk of his salary for us.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
So what does everyone think now that we acquired him?
I'm happy with the signing. I hope it works out and the change of venue works to the Packers and Jaylon's favor.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Jaire can avoid surgery and play with a brace, our secondary is more than solid with the emergence of Stokes, the ILB room is looking much better with how DeVondre has played and now adding Jaylon Smith, and the defensive line has showed some promise recently.

This defense could be rounding into a solid all around unit.
I hope Jaylon can be that guy who elevates that run defense especially in short yard situations.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Furthermore, the fact he signed for league minimum - we might be able to do something further at OLB or CB (should Jaire news come back terrible). Wouldn't be big swings as we don't have much but there is a bit there for this season alone.

Krabs

Reaction score
HOLY crap only $770,000 cost to us.....league minimum

DEAR LORD HOLY DEAL BATMAN!!!
He said he wanted to play for Green Bay. Dallas is on the hook for $7 million this season, so he is getting paid. I'm sure he was good with another $700k to play and get legit playing time for a contender.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He said he wanted to play for Green Bay. Dallas is on the hook for $7 million this season, so he is getting paid. I'm sure he was good with another $700k to play and get legit playing time for a contender.

Well of course it is so cheap because of the owed money from Dallas, but even I figured it was gonna run us a couple Million for his caliber. This is insane and multiple sources have said it 100% is his Notre Dame relationship built with MLF that caused this. It could end up being a one year type deal, but folks this $770K signing may even play out as a low round comp pick if we lose him next year. This is an incredible home run in season acquisition

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am thinking that Jaylon Smith is an if since the cowboys let him go. But that could have been for cap reasons. If he is a player like he was in college; then the middle of our defense just became a huge strength. And I love that. I hope we are smart enough to continue to give Barnes reps. He is a tough sob. imho
And even if he is not We certainly did not get him to be the " guy. " That is for the off season. We need depth for future injuries and we need better run defense. And he can certainly help THIS season if no more. We talked about getting someone on D. Well, we got a bargain here.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well of course it is so cheap because of the owed money from Dallas, but even I figured it was gonna run us a couple Million for his caliber. This is insane and multiple sources have said it 100% is his Notre Dame relationship built with MLF that caused this. It could end up being a one year type deal, but folks this $770K signing may even play out as a low round comp pick if we lose him next year. This is an incredible home run in season acquisition
And if you are Smith you want to be playing for a number of years to come. This is his chance to be here or somewhere in the future. Reminds me a little of Desmond Bishop.

Krabs

Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing that it was a great move. I was thinking they would get him for around $1 million. The only thing I would wait on saying is that he is an incredible home run acquisition until he actually takes the field and shows us something. I really do like the signing though. Very untypical of the Packers.

Reaction score
I don't get why the signing of Smith should be looked at through the lens of the need at corner.

The Panthers had lots of cap space and were able to just trade for Gilmore straight up and absorb his current deal (5.8M cap hit) without any sort of restructure.

The Packers could not do that. I have no idea what they offered for him, but they weren't in as good a position to acquire him.

LB is also a need. Ty Summers and Oren Burks have played over 270 snaps so far.
Somewhere earlier I was saying that Brian should make a player move to strengthen the Defense. My hopes were iDL, LB or CB (imo in that order). I’m very happy they made this move to help our D. At very least he’s a great depth piece at a cheap price.
Same thing a lot of Packer fans said about Blake Martinez and Clay Matthews. While they weren't playing like Pro Bowlers in Green Bay, they both were decent players.
I think it would be a worse case scenario for the Cowboys to play the Green Bay Packers in the playoffs and give their X team Captain an opportunity to redeem himself.
Regardless, I am Stoked about this move. It’s my opinion that theres at least one thing Joe Barry understands for certain. It’s his ability to motivate LBs and get them in the best position to succeed.

When I watch film on Jaylon I see a guy that, while he doesn’t possess long speed, he makes up with instincts and short area burst. He actually reminds me a lot of Campbell’s style. You can’t teach raw experience and he’s had plenty of time both making mistakes and making plays. He has an energy about him that’s contagious. You can see that watching how he lifted players around him.

More recently, I could also tell Leighton was very upset about this move right after it happened. LVE is not normally a vocal guy, obviously has a great deal of respect for Jaylon.

Last edited:

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. This is a great signing. Don't understand why the Cowboys let him go. Last time I saw him play, he looked really good. Who would have thought prior to the season that ILB could be a strength for this team? Me. Never told anyone. But I knew it all along.
I have read some opinions that his knee doesn't allow him to do what he did previously..... hinders his forward and back motion. Does anyone have any information on whether or not his knee is still a problem of sorts?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have read some opinions that his knee doesn't allow him to do what he did previously..... hinders his forward and back motion. Does anyone have any information on whether or not his knee is still a problem of sorts?

LOL folks he is a very versatile LB and is still quite capable in moving around.

He is coming off of three straight years of more than 120 Tackles - with 142 in 2019 and 154 in 2020. Mix in the fact he had nearly 20 pass deflections recorded in that time as well I'm telling you I'd have wanted him over Campbell every chance had both been available in the offseason. Campbell has never broke 100 save for one season tackle wise, has missed more games since being a starter (Jaylon played full seasons last three - all 16).

Reaction score
LOL folks he is a very versatile LB and is still quite capable in moving around.

He is coming off of three straight years of more than 120 Tackles - with 142 in 2019 and 154 in 2020. Mix in the fact he had nearly 20 pass deflections recorded in that time as well I'm telling you I'd have wanted him over Campbell every chance had both been available in the offseason. Campbell has never broke 100 save for one season tackle wise, has missed more games since being a starter (Jaylon played full seasons last three - all 16).
Exactly. Let’s be honest as far as those “reports” about discounting Smith.
About 95%+ of the players out there have ? Heck we question our own starters! We question our HOF QB!! :roflmao:

I often wonder if those reports are largely broke in the media as a way to “cover tracks” for a team as a way of mitigating some heat they take after moves like this. Plus, in general, critics are never in short supply.
The sources always tend to come from subjective sources imo.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing that it was a great move. I was thinking they would get him for around $1 million. The only thing I would wait on saying is that he is an incredible home run acquisition until he actually takes the field and shows us something. I really do like the signing though. Very untypical of the Packers.
Yes.He has to take the field and learn the defense. Not like baseball in which you swing the bat by yourself. With that said we are notorious for getting LBs hurt every year. The fact that he has played in the last 64 games of 4 seasons says he is likely to be out there. I certainly think he cannot do any worse than the next man up.

Reaction score
Yes.He has to take the field and learn the defense. Not like baseball in which you swing the bat by yourself. With that said we are notorious for getting LBs hurt every year. The fact that he has played in the last 64 games of 4 seasons says he is likely to be out there. I certainly think he cannot do any worse than the next man up.
Injuries are always a general concern. That said this player has been very reliable. He had left wrist surgery last offseason, but reports I saw were he was ready at training camp. It obviously didn’t hamper his ability to play in every game for the last 3 seasons anyway.
One would come to a conclusion that 10 months later is plenty of time for a wrist surgery to adequately heal.

That said, I understand it’s human nature to question something that looks “to good to be true” and somehow quantify that (not just your post but a series of posts in general in summary) I don’t blame folks for that, that’s how we’re programmed. We’d turn down a $1000 gift bill if we thought it “might” be tainted. However it’s my opinion this was a blessing from God that dropped in our lap.
I’m going to go out on a limb. You find a way to put him next to Campbell? and the middle of this D got a serious upgrade.

The last thing I’ll point out is this. We all pretty much know that LB is a position that can get pretty quick results. It’s not like QB or CB or Edge where it takes several years. He’s an established veteran, he could suit up tomorrow and hold his own.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Have fun with Smith. He’s a really young and talented player that still have pro bow potential and y’all get him rent free.

Thanks. I am hoping that with what we are hearing is going on down in Dallas under McCarthy..."A change in culture", that Smith was just a biproduct of not functioning well under the new regime. Obviously, the Packers have to find a way to get him back to a Pro Bowl caliber player and I thing a change of scenery alone, might help kickstart that.

Members online

Latest posts