Packers activate Trevor Davis from IR

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
At this point I guess its better to have Davis back than it would be to have Kumerow. Even with Allison going on IR, both MVS and EQ have shown they can play. Davis might provide a spark on special teams, but I would prefer not seeing him (or Kumerow) at WR if it means taking snaps away from one of the Rookies.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point I guess its better to have Davis back than it would be to have Kumerow. Even with Allison going on IR, both MVS and EQ have shown they can play. Davis might provide a spark on special teams, but I would prefer not seeing him (or Kumerow) at WR if it means taking snaps away from one of the Rookies.
at this point they could activate Davis just for return duties and sit Cobb if last week was an indication of where he's at physically right now. or just go with 2 RB's and Davis takes return duties. I would not take MVS or ESB of the field right now. Time to ride our horses and see what we have. Maybe we do something this year, maybe not. But we'll know what we have heading into years end. I already know Davis isn't really my WR of the future.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davis is a pretty average returner, but is far better than any of the returners on the roster. I don't know what was a bigger joke, Tramon returning punts now or Woodson returning punts in his 10th year (his ability to return pick 6's were a million times better than punt return ability).

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers could activate Kumerow later this season if needed. I agree that Davis is currently more valuable on the 53 based on his ability as a returner.

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Next year Davis will not be a member of this team. Quite frankly he is just not that good. I have seen more from MVS and ESB than I have seen from Davis in 3 years. I don't see anything spectacular about his returning ability.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Upgrade over Ty Montgomery returning kicks.

Downgrade with regard to Geronimo Allison at WR.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think I can say that I have ever been so enthusiastic to see Davis on the field

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My hope is he has zero snaps at WR
While Allison is hurt, Davis has to be viewed as the #6 WR. No doubt in my mind that MVS and EQ are 3 and 4 and Moore is probably #5. The question will be, do you activate Moore on game day, with Davis already active for special teams? If he isn't active, than there is that possibility you see Davis if their is an injury during the game.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want Jake the Snake!!!! TD is about as underwhelming a player as I can think of. My hope is he can bust 1-2 decent returns and help at the Gunner position. Selfishly, I want the long-haired boy wonder out there going Thielen on people but that is probably a pipedream at this point.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Next year Davis will not be a member of this team. Quite frankly he is just not that good. I have seen more from MVS and ESB than I have seen from Davis in 3 years. I don't see anything spectacular about his returning ability.

Davis presents the best option returning kickoffs and punts at this point in the season. As others have pointed out he shouldn't receive playing time at receiver.

No doubt in my mind that MVS and EQ are 3 and 4 and Moore is probably #5. The question will be, do you activate Moore on game day, with Davis already active for special teams?

As long as the top four receivers are healthy I don't believe Moore will be active.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He better see ZERO snaps at WR. He has been awful his entire pro career at doing anything but returning kicks. He has only had 2 kick returns as well, 1 in pre season a few years ago and 1 vs the browns last year. I would have rather seen Kumerow with G-Mo being out. The only thing the kick returner needs to do is take a knee in the endzone or not fumble.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

He has only had 2 kick returns as well, 1 in pre season a few years ago and 1 vs the browns last year. I would have rather seen Kumerow with G-Mo being out. The only thing the kick returner needs to do is take a knee in the endzone or not fumble.

Davis has a total of 34 kickoff returns averaging 22.7 yards in his NFL career. In addition he will be used as a punt returner as well.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that was what i wrote then its not what i meant. I know he has returned a bunch of kicks. Only 2 of them were worth a damn and those were the two i referred to.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

If that was what i wrote then its not what i meant. I know he has returned a bunch of kicks. Only 2 of them were worth a damn and those were the two i referred to.

Just to be clear, Davis returned a punt 65 yards vs. the Browns last season.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davis isn't a very good returner as mentioned he hasn't been good on kickoffs at all. And while his average is good on punts I just hope one of his cringe worthy decisions doesn't really hurt the team

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we'll see if he's out there in 2 weeks. I really have reservations about his decision making, but at this point what does it matter. Nobody else is going back there that gives me any confidence either. Tramon is ok for Punts. Vet anyway, but i have zero expectations outside of him just catching it for a return. I liked seeing Cobb out there to start the season, but he's not right physically. and from what I saw last week, i can't believe he's even going to be on the field again this week. Haven't seen anything on kick offs from anyone really. At this point all i want them to do is field the ball cleanly and let the offense go to work. Screw the return and the impending penalty that puts us back half the distance to the goal or at minimum loses 10 yards of field position every time they try a return.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we'll see if he's out there in 2 weeks. I really have reservations about his decision making, but at this point what does it matter. Nobody else is going back there that gives me any confidence either. Tramon is ok for Punts. Vet anyway, but i have zero expectations outside of him just catching it for a return. I liked seeing Cobb out there to start the season, but he's not right physically. and from what I saw last week, i can't believe he's even going to be on the field again this week. Haven't seen anything on kick offs from anyone really. At this point all i want them to do is field the ball cleanly and let the offense go to work. Screw the return and the impending penalty that puts us back half the distance to the goal or at minimum loses 10 yards of field position every time they try a return.

Yeah that's what I'm saying I'm cool with a returner that makes good decisions fields the ball cleanly and doesn't give it back to the other team even if he offers nothing actually returning the ball. I mean had Montgomery done so the team would very likely have an additional win

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Davis isn't a very good returner as mentioned he hasn't been good on kickoffs at all. And while his average is good on punts I just hope one of his cringe worthy decisions doesn't really hurt the team

Davis is able to spark the offense with a big return though. He makes too many terrible decisions but the Packers currently don't have a better option than him.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davis is able to spark the offense with a big return though. He makes too many terrible decisions but the Packers currently don't have a better option than him.
That may be true, but those bad decisions are enough ... that for me personally, I agree with The Quick and Mondio... just give me someone that will catch it, and get us the ball back without hurting us further.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

That may be true, but those bad decisions are enough ... that for me personally, I agree with The Quick and Mondio... just give me someone that will catch it, and get us the ball back without hurting us further.

While Davis has made too many bad decisions he has only been responsible for a single turnover in his NFL career so far, muffing a punt in 2016.

Members online