Packers 1st round selection, #12 overall: Rashan Gary, DE

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
In short yes, especially with our full interior still on rookie contracts essentially. BUT I've long said I believe 2022 will be Bahk's final year here IMO - his hit becomes just crazy and Jenkins could replace him. Much will depend obviously on a lot of things which haven't occurred yet and this could change but presently I think next year is his last year here.
Never really thought about this possibility but I think you might be right. Especially if the staff feels that the younger o-linemen are making good strides in their development.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anything is possible, but assuming Jenkins is a good as he seems, slide him to RT, keep the kids at guard.

Not a bad way to go and Turner is getting older too.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m looking more at contract, but you are correct.

We effectively cannot cut Bhak in 2022 due to the cap hit. Turner however, we could. (Net gain of about 4M)

In such a situation, slide Jenkins to RT. And you’ve got your bookends set.

Yes, Bhak still has a big hit going forward, but the new TV deal should kick in for 2023 and ease that hit.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m looking more at contract, but you are correct.

We effectively cannot cut Bhak in 2022 due to the cap hit. Turner however, we could. (Net gain of about 4M)

In such a situation, slide Jenkins to RT. And you’ve got your bookends set.

Yes, Bhak still has a big hit going forward, but the new TV deal should kick in for 2023 and ease that hit.
I don't think it is worth it to save $4M to cut Turner

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I see another tackle being drafted this year to join Nijman as backup unless the staff feels that one of the young guards is also capable of playing right tackle.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In short yes, especially with our full interior still on rookie contracts essentially. BUT I've long said I believe 2022 will be Bahk's final year here IMO - his hit becomes just crazy and Jenkins could replace him. Much will depend obviously on a lot of things which haven't occurred yet and this could change but presently I think next year is his last year here.
I agree on Bakh being gone after 2022. Too much money for someone who has started to show signs of physical break downs. Not a knock against his skills, but a question of ROI based on salary. It won't be there any longer I'm afraid. Elgton Jenkins, on the other hand, is one of those rare gems that you can plug in anywhere across the line and he's going to grade out just fine. They will resign him without doubt. He is far and away our best lineman, overall.

Next year is going to be a rough one cap wise. I don't even want to think about where we go with it.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In general, I agree. He'w worked out well for us. I'm proposing it mostly from a cap savings perspective.

Others have suggested cutting Bhak. We can't (technically we could, but play along) due to the structure of his contract. He'd cost us more than we would save.

Turner, however, is in the last year of his contract. If we're strapped for 2022, such things need to be considered.

I still strongly suspect Z and Rodgers are the main pieces. Z is all but certainly gone and Cut/Trade/Extend Rodgers. Between those two, that should handle the majority of our overages. It doesn't help us re-sign Jaire or Adams or even give us the room to get to 53, but that should be doable here and there with other, smaller extensions, 2023 roster bonuses, etc.

Reaction score
I was going to post something about Rashan Gary, but I'm obviously in the wrong thread. I hear the guitar pick scratch intro of???? Yes its "Crazy Train" in the background.

D

Deleted member 6794

The WR room has amazing depth, but lacks true separation at the top which would be so incredibly hard to overcome without the one truly separated talent at the top.

I don't think the Packers having several wide receivers who could be considered a decent #3 at the position should be considered amazing depth.

Did you just acknowledge an error? Anyone else smell toast? Why is my nose bleeding?

I have admitted to being wrong on numerous occasions.

You might be right about it but the Packers will have to make some tough decisions next offseason to get under the cap.

It doesn't help us re-sign Jaire or Adams or even give us the room to get to 53, but that should be doable here and there with other, smaller extensions, 2023 roster bonuses, etc.

As mentioned in another thread, Alexander currently is under contract for next season with the Packers having exercised the fifth year option at $13.3. million. The team could extend him and save up to $9.6 million in cap space for 2022.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree that the Packets need to cut bait with Bahktiari. Too much money for someone coming off such a major injury. Same for Z'darius and Tonyan although I would offer him a very modest proposal to see if he would sign. I think Cobb, Crosby and Lewis will be gone as well. The big question marks are Adams and Rodgers. Unless they restructure at very team friendly deals, I don't see them as Packers next year. Rodgers could bring some draft picks in a trade. Quite possible this injury ravaged season is it and next year's team gas no Z, Bahktiari, Adams, Rodgers, Cobb, Crosby, Lewis, Tonyan, MVS and Lazard. If the Packers get a first and second for Rodgers, I would draft DL, TE , WR and OL. The defense could still be good next season and the offense could be restructured around the running game but let's face it, that type of exodus would likely result in the Packers competing with the Lions for the cellar for a season or two before the new draft picks could hit their potential.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Agree that the Packets need to cut bait with Bahktiari.
They really can't even start thinking about that until after the 2022 season. If they cut him before then, they would be facing a dead cap hit of almost $40M. Even after the 2022 season, they are looking at a $17M hit to cut him.

I think Bahk will be with the Packers a few more seasons. Sucks that he has missed almost a year now, but if he returns to form, he will still be one of the best LT in the game.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They really can't even start thinking about that until after the 2022 season. If they cut him before then, they would be facing a dead cap hit of almost $40M. Even after the 2022 season, they are looking at a $17M hit to cut him.

I think Bahk will be with the Packers a few more seasons. Sucks that he has missed almost a year now, but if he returns to form, he will still be one of the best LT in the game.
Agreed. When they signed him to that contract last year… it was one of the first times that I can personally remember feeling like it was a mistake to retain an admittedly great player. Other than QB… I just don’t think it’s wise to have that much money tied up in a single player.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Agreed. When they signed him to that contract last year… it was one of the first times that I can personally remember feeling like it was a mistake to retain an admittedly great player. Other than QB… I just don’t think it’s wise to have that much money tied up in a single player.
I felt the same and was laughed at when I suggested it might have been a mistake.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I felt the same and was laughed at when I suggested it might have been a mistake.
I was hesitant but not against it if that makes sense. Hindsight makes it easier and just last week I was saying Jenkins makes the Bakh extension a possible mistake....now with his injury...even more is up in the air on this front.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was hesitant but not against it if that makes sense. Hindsight makes it easier and just last week I was saying Jenkins makes the Bakh extension a possible mistake....now with his injury...even more is up in the air on this front.
Yeah… hindsight is always more clear lol… that’s why I was so unsure of my original feelings when they re-signed him. I admittedly was happy that he was going to remain a Packer…but I also actually believed at the time that it was a huge risk and probably a mistake.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah… hindsight is always more clear lol… that’s why I was so unsure of my original feelings when they re-signed him. I admittedly was happy that he was going to remain a Packer…but I also actually believed at the time that it was a huge risk and probably a mistake.

I know I'm excited in a Bakh related point, in that I just won a signed (with cert) David Bakhtiari football two weeks back. :)

D

Deleted member 6794

The big question marks are Adams and Rodgers. Unless they restructure at very team friendly deals, I don't see them as Packers next year.

Just for the record, there's no way for the Packers to restructure Adams' contract as he's set to become a free agent next offseason.

The Packers would take a cap hit of $26.3 million in dead money if they trade Bakhtiari before March 20. I agree that won't happen as it would result in an additional cap hit for next season though.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts