Packers 1st round selection, #12 overall: Rashan Gary, DE

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers would take a cap hit of $26.3 million in dead money if they trade Bakhtiari before March 20. I agree that won't happen as it would result in an additional cap hit for next season though.
Agreed. No matter how you slice it up (2022, 2023) the Packers have a big amount on the books for Bahk and a few other players. Some of those numbers just don't go away when the player is traded or cut.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup Bakh's contract has been discussed numerous times. The earliest the team could move from him is after next season, not this one.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for the record, there's no way for the Packers to restructure Adams' contract as he's set to become a free agent next offseason.

The Packers would take a cap hit of $26.3 million in dead money if they trade Bakhtiari before March 20. I agree that won't happen as it would result in an additional cap hit for next season though.
I was implying that the Packers should extend Adams in the near future in that comment but you are correct he is going to be a free agent on March 20th. Gute could also wait and just renegotiate a brand new deal but eventually Adams would be asking for a lot of guarenteed money with big cap hits.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was implying that the Packers should extend Adams in the near future in that comment but you are correct he is going to be a free agent on March 20th. Gute could also wait and just renegotiate a brand new deal but eventually Adams would be asking for a lot of guarenteed money with big cap hits.
I’m not following what you are trying to say…. The only way Adams is a Packer next year is if he gets that “brand new deal”. There is no “also”

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers need to sign Adams to an extension before the start of the new league year. There's no way for Gutekunst to wait any longer than that as the team risks losing him in free agency after that as there will definitely be enough takers for his services.

While he will definitely demand a ton of money the Packers could structure it in a way to keep the cap hit low for next season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Haven't done the research, but does this thread set the record for total number and consecutive posts with absolutely nothing to do with the title?
Well, if you connect all the threads and use your imagination, it all comes back to Rashan Gary, since he is a Green Bay Packer and much of the conversation is about his teammates. :cool:

Reaction score
The Packers need to sign Adams to an extension before the start of the new league year. There's no way for Gutekunst to wait any longer than that as the team risks losing him in free agency after that as there will definitely be enough takers for his services.

While he will definitely demand a ton of money the Packers could structure it in a way to keep the cap hit low for next season.
That’s may be easier said than done. It’s pretty common knowledge that Davante has loyalty to …. Well…. Just forget it.. this has nothing to do with Rashan Gary nor can I even surmise a ruse to make it appear as such. I’m out! :laugh:

Reaction score
Sorry, I have to disagree on that. While we have ok talent at WR (beyond Adams), we don't have a #1 or really a true #2. I would say Cobb, Lazard and MVS are all average enough to contribute as your rotational #3. However, all 3 have their limitations and the Packers would need Lazard or MVS to really step up their games to be an above average 1 or 2. The wild card is Amari. So far I think he has been a disappointment, but I really didn't expect all that much out of him this and probably even next season.

It appears that the Packers will be picking someplace late in round 1 again, to expect them to find a WR that will immediately contribute, is probably unrealistic. Between TT and Gute, they really haven't done a very good job with the position since the drafting of Adams.
I think Funchess could've really helped. He's a good #3 but with a low #2 upside with a top QB like Rodgers. While its not a crippling loss, his hole has not been filled in. MVS is our best short term answer there in the meantime. MVS needs to step up.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Funchess could've really helped. He's a good #3 but with a low #2 upside with a top QB like Rodgers. While its not a crippling loss, his hole has not been filled in. MVS is our best short term answer there in the meantime. MVS needs to step up.

Mvs has started to find his stride after coming back from the injury...to be fair to my eye it seemed mvs had been open deep Rodgers and he were just off on the timing now it seems that timing is coming together for the stretch run...

Over the last 3 games he has 9 catches for 214 yards and a td 23.77 yards a catch including a 41 yarder and the 75 yard td...i expect him to go over 100 yards again against the bears on sunday night

I agree though hes a 3 not a 2

Reaction score
Mvs has started to find his stride after coming back from the injury...to be fair to my eye it seemed mvs had been open deep Rodgers and he were just off on the timing now it seems that timing is coming together for the stretch run...

Over the last 3 games he has 9 catches for 214 yards and a td 23.77 yards a catch including a 41 yarder and the 75 yard td...i expect him to go over 100 yards again against the bears on sunday night

I agree though hes a 3 not a 2
Yeah hes been better as of late. Another 1 to watch out or is EQ. He's had enough experience in this system that he can factor. He's highly athletic and had a injury setback early on. While we could use Cobb, lets face it he's not been peak Cobb at all. Hes good but not irreplaceable either. I suspect we get near his stats elsewhere with #12 slinging it. That's not meant to Be a slight on Randall Cobb, but moreso props to Aaron Rodgers.The Bears are good enough to give us a scare, but GB is better on both sides of the ball + playing at home.

Rashan Gary and Aaron Jones out at US Bank was felt bigtime. You Take Cook out of that Vikings matchup and add Jones to the Packers side? Then bring them into the elements at Lambeau along with home crowd support mid Dec?? Let's just say the Bears are about to get a dose of what the Vikings missed. If Chicago is bettwr than 4 Wins? Then its time to spank us us at Lambeau or lets shut these experts up! . Its annoying every week. not sure but GB at Lambeau in Dec is like spotting us 5 points imo. We need to key on gang tackling Montgomery and spying the QB. Montgomery is going to get 18+ carries.

The Packers haven't really hit their stride. Very soon I think we see a shellacking. Probably around the return of #23

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah hes been better as of late. Another 1 to watch out or is EQ. He's had enough experience in this system that he can factor. He's highly athletic and had a injury setback early on. The Bears are good enough to give us a scare, but GB is better on both sides of the ball + playing at home.

Rashan Gary and Aaron Jones out at US Bank was felt bigtime. You Take Cook out of that Vikings matchup and add Jones to the Packers? and Bring them into the elements at Lambeau along with crowd support? Let's just say the Bears are about to get a dose of what the Vikings missed.
While we could use Cobb, lets face it he's not been peak Cobb at all. Hes good but not irreplaceable either. I suspect we get near his stats elsewhere with #12 slinging it. That's not meant to Be a slight on Randall Cobb, but moreso props to Aaron Rodgers

Yeah i expect eq to split reps in the slot with lazard who also should have a nice game....unless fields is the real deal the bears dont have a shot

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Low floor with incredible high ceiling type guy. NONE of us know which of those two extremes he ends up at...or will he fall in between.

His measurables and athleticism is ridiculously good.....but his heart and sometimes performance is ridiculously sad IMO as well.

I was a Wilkins fan at 12 with who was on the board, or one of the stud OL but when they drafted Gary I looked at the wife and said in 3 years I'll either be buying a Gary jersey or he'll be out of the league.

Probably an extreme prediction but kinda how I feel on it.

Just so everyone knows I am about to order a Gary jersey and keep my word.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just so everyone knows I am about to order a Gary jersey and keep my word.
It's interesting - I remember him being described as an athletic freak, but his production at MI was average at best. Some of us pick on Gluten for the Love pick, so it's only fair to give mim an "attaboy" on this selection, and others.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rashan has been AWESOME! His pure sack numbers haven't jumped out yet but I predict will this year due to his pressures...

But let's also give credit to coaching and the Smiths in helping to develop him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rashan has been AWESOME! His pure sack numbers haven't jumped out yet but I predict will this year due to his pressures...

But let's also give credit to coaching and the Smiths in helping to develop him.
Yeah it was important for him to learn the game behind the Smiths. And I think he goes into double digit sacks this year as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah it was important for him to learn the game behind the Smiths. And I think he goes into double digit sacks this year as well.
Much like it's been important for Love to learn the game behind the Rodgers? Or should Gute be fired for drafting Gary, just to backup better players? :whistling:

Members online

Latest posts