Packers 1st round selection, #12 overall: Rashan Gary, DE

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
To all the no production in college haters out there, Danielle Hunter had 4.5 sacks in college....he has 34 in his first 3 years with the Viqueens.

bsman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To all the no production in college haters out there, Danielle Hunter had 4.5 sacks in college....he has 34 in his first 3 years with the Viqueens.

I would put myself more in the realm of "waiting to be shown value" rather than "hater" box. I'm just not sold that Gary is a #12 pick. I hope that in the future I will look back at this post and 'feel shame', but I am skeptical...

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I would put myself more in the realm of "waiting to be shown value" rather than "hater" box. I'm just not sold that Gary is a #12 pick. I hope that in the future I will look back at this post and 'feel shame', but I am skeptical...
I'm not 100% sold he will work out, but there aren't many guys on here that even want to be optimistic about the pick.... and for that I am defending the pick.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He was also a 3rd round pick. How the hell is this a counterpoint? If Gary was selected in round 2 (or even 30) we'd all be ecstatic because that's where players with all the physical tools but lil college tape to back them up belong.

We arent talking about any of that though because for some reason they drafted him at 12

Conan Troutman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the pick. Fantastic athlete for a guy his size. Pettine can move him around any way he likes - he can rush inside out of a two point stance, he can play 5-tech in base, he can play elephant/leo standing up and he can line up at SAM. This guy is just taylor made for Pettine's defense.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was also a 3rd round pick. How the hell is this a counterpoint? If Gary was selected in round 2 (or even 30) we'd all be ecstatic because that's where players with all the physical tools but lil college tape to back them up belong.

We arent talking about any of that though because for some reason they drafted him at 12

Clay Matthews also had fantastic college stats.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
He was also a 3rd round pick. How the hell is this a counterpoint?
The counterpoint is who the heck knows what is going to happen with Gary. He was a first round talent on probably 99% of the big boards in the country. Be happy we didn't draft a tackle from Alabama.... I mean Alabama St in the 1st Rd. Obviously the Texans saw more than most teams did. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Hunter should have been a top 5 pick 3 years ago, he's playing like one, which means you, me and everyone else that didn't have him as one is a freaking moron, and don't know how to evaluate talent.

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, I am not saying Bosa was a bad pick or that he isn't a stud, but people are screaming about what Gary didn't do his final year while playing hurt. I don't consider what Bosa did in his only 3 games in 2018, against Oregon State, Rutgers and Texas Christian all that impressive. However, I still think Bosa will be great based on his pedigree, physicality and what we saw of him in 2017. Now I am not predicting Gary is going to be better than Bosa, but he does have the potential to be equally as good, which is what I think the Packers are banking on.

I like what Gute said. So many people just look at stats. Look at his film and what he did at the combine. Motivation and health, IMO, are Gary's only 2 obstacles. If he gets over those, watch what he does.

But people aren't screaming about Gary's final year: they're screaming about his entire college career. His final year had the exact same pass rush production as the two before it. He was in a position and scheme where he was rushing the pocket from the outside on every play and he still averaged 3 sacks a season.

Also, his complete lack of rush moves are another obstacle. He has a stiff arm bull rush. He doesn't have a rip, a swim, or a spin move.

Rashan Gary is a guy with his head on straight. Check out a few of the videos on YouTube.

Great personality, confident, humble, etc. Makes me like the pick even more.

He rubbed some teams the wrong way during interviews and didn't respond well to questions about being kicked back inside.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To quote many a football coach, stats are for losers.

Clay Matthews had 13.5 TFL and 5.5 sacks for his CAREER.

Danielle Hunter had 21 TFL and 4.5 sacks for his CAREER.

They've combined for 123.5 NFL sacks.

If this were about stats and production, Jaylon Ferguson would've gone #1 overall.

Wow.

What about 1,000+ guys each year who have <10 TFL and <6 sacks for their CAREERS and never even make an NFL roster?

I think it is fairly obvious that if a player is good, he should have a good college career. If not, that has to raise some flags.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll have to put a provisional "C" grade on this, because although he appears to have potential, so did Tony Mandarich, and we all know how that worked out... I guess it will depend on how he develops, how eager and willing he is to learn, where we plan on playing hem, and how quickly they need to bring him along. I can't say I would expect to see him a lot in 2019, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see...
Not the same at all...Mandarich cheated in college.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Wow.

What about 1,000+ guys each year who have <10 TFL and <6 sacks for their CAREERS and never even make an NFL roster?

I think it is fairly obvious that if a player is good, he should have a good college career. If not, that has to raise some flags.

Agreed. It does have to raise a red flag, and production is, without a doubt, Gary's red flag.

But to push back on your statement in bold-- players who lack production don't get picked high in the draft unless they demonstrate some elite traits. Sometimes it pays off and they blossom in the pros. Sometimes they never figure it out. But there is a reason why a Rashan Gary or a Clay Matthews went 1st round despite the lack of college production.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm just curious-- who were the available prospects at #12 who had a clean profile (i.e. without significant questions marks)?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just curious-- who were the available prospects at #12 who had a clean profile (i.e. without significant questions marks)?
They all have questions. Some are just much bigger than others.

Questions about Savage are - "is he big enough to survive the rigors of the NFL?" Questions about Gary are "why doesn't he play very well?" That is a huge difference in questions.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow.

He did have a good college career.

He started multiple years, was a leader on a top tier defense.

His role last year was to play the 6T and contain the C Gap. Guys who do that don't get a lot of sacks. If you can't even mention that in regards to his stats, you're being disingenuous.

I'm not saying he's perfect. I'm not saying he's my favorite choice. He's not. He has a lot to work on. But I can find lots of guys who had great college careers and never made it in the NFL.

Traits and film matter more than stats, every single time.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They all have questions. Some are just much bigger than others.

Questions about Savage are - "is he big enough to survive the rigors of the NFL?" Questions about Gary are "why doesn't he play very well?" That is a huge difference in questions.

The questions about Gary are within his technique. His stats are explained by his positional role.

If you think he didn't play well, you're not watching the tape.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every year we have NFL prospects who have great measurables but their college production was lacking. Or players who had great measurables but questionable work ethic or desire. I wish someone would compile a list of players who commonly had these scouting reports and examine how their NFL production worked out. And compare it to some kind of control group.

I would think some draft blogger has done this.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't think so...although I haven't been able to find any dirt on whether he did steroids in college, quit them and is now addicted to pain killers. I'll see what I can find out. ;)
The leading candidate in this line of speculation would be Metcalf.